Turn on thread page Beta

diet coke watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)
    Encouraging teeth-rot?

Most people are going to have a fizzy drink once in a while. Saying that a person might prefer one over the other is hardly going to have people running to their dentist in droves.

I prefer McDonalds chips over Burger King ones. I'm not encouraging obesity, heart disease and high colesterol in saying so though.
    It was actually aimed at jb_sweden specifically, nevermind. Though I do have a grudge against diet cola of all varieties.

Edit: I really was not suggesting that it was encouraging tooth decay amongst TSR members. Please people, go ahead and drink it. It really does taste great and has zero calories!

ReputationRep:
    I know it was aimed at his post. I just don't think it was encouraging tooth decay. We all know soft drinks aren't good for your teeth, but in moderation and with regular brushing, drinking them is fine. And like I said, stating a preference for one over the other, even saying one is better for you in other respects, isn't encouraging tooth decay amongst TSR members.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ludivine)
    It really does taste great and has zero calories!
    Actually, it has 1.3 calories. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb_sweden)
    Actually, it has 1.3 calories. :p:
    :eek: I may as well just have a doughnut!

ReputationRep:
    I've heard lots of bad things about diet coke, and i even heard that the guy in charge of the stuff refuses to let his kids drink it! I also happened to stumble across some stats in the journal of risk management (i study insurance, fun i know) so in an attempt to bring some scale into this i have some figures for you:

Out of a 100,000 people who drink one diet drink a day, one of them will die in that year as a direct result of the saccharin.

or put another way...

Drinking 30 12oz cans of diet coke increases your chance of death in any year by 0.000001 (1 chance in 10^6) with the cause of death being cancer caused by saccharin.

This is equivalent to smoking 1.4 cigarettes a year, or spending 1hr in a coal mine, or living for 2 days in new york,.... travelling 10 miles by bike,... flying 1000 miles by jet,... having one chest x-ray, ...eating 40 tablespoons of peanut butter.... i could go on!

so risk of cancer hardly worth talking about!! but its there none the less....
    Tom

ReputationRep:
    There is caffine in chocolate.

D/coke is bad because it contains a lot of sweetners, more than a lot of other foods, which is potentially very damaging to the body.

Plus, our bodies are customed and designed to have some sugar, and so cutting out sugar completly isn't a good idea.

You need to read more into it that just the label, my friend. A label can't tell you everything.

ReputationRep:
    I avoid fizzy drinks at all costs. Mainly due to the sweetners and e numbers. I think that's the main reason why many people avoid diet drinks.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2006
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.