5.44%
    Psychology
    3.42%
    Chemistry
    26.28%
    Other
    13.84%

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Biology for me, my school does AQA B Biology and although I understood the content, I could never quite get what the questions were asking for; they were really applied. So I dropped it at AS but from what I've heard A2 is really difficult, the teachers say that if you get 70+% on most tests then you're doing really well and the people at my school are really clever! In one of their mocks they scaled down the grade boundaries so that an A was 68% and not many people got above that! 3 people got in the 80s but they're just scarily clever.

Personally I find Chemistry really easy hence I took it for A2 and dropped Biology at AS.

ReputationRep:
    I would say maths as its number, everything else is word whatever you learn maths is different to anything as its almost a new language (probably sounds stupid) but you have to learn number and everything you can do draw make investigate about it. Maths is just annoying anyways.

What did people find most challenging at gcse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonjoe)
    What did people find most challenging at gcse?
    Maths, definitely! Although I found media studies really hard as well, despite everyone saying it's 'mickey mouse' :confused:

ReputationRep:
    *looks down and mutters* ...further maths...

It being the only subject with the 'further' tag...I think we have a winner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Maths, definitely! Although I found media studies really hard as well, despite everyone saying it's 'mickey mouse' :confused:
    same for me probably: i got a B. Although, my only C was in statistics GCSE, but we did this a year early. Um... english lit was also difficult, but i dont think thats cos the subject was hard, perhaps just cos of teaching.

easiest was perhaps business studies. any one else, easiest GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry most definatly! Especially the Nuffield course :puke: Why on Earth did I choose Chemistry??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefin)
    same for me probably: i got a B. Although, my only C was in statistics GCSE, but we did this a year early. Um... english lit was also difficult, but i dont think thats cos the subject was hard, perhaps just cos of teaching.

For me personally, Music is the hardest GCSE because I just can't get the hang of the exam technique required. I also get the most stressed for English, because though I know I'm not bad at it, I am not good at writing English essays under timed conditions well.

Easiest GCSE? RS short course. PE short course (theory). Languages, if you know your stuff and can get over the nerves of the oral. All very subjective though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Excalibur)
    For me personally, Music is the hardest GCSE
    good point, i didnt do this but i can imagine!

Easiest GCSE? RS short course
    i got A*, im still proud!

All very subjective though.
    of course, undeniable. nevertheless, still worth discussing to avoid watching the OC.

ReputationRep:
    good point, i didnt do this but i can imagine!

i got A*, im still proud!

of course, undeniable. nevertheless, still worth discussing to avoid watching the OC.
    I got D in music GCSE, A in RE - which is amazing seeing as I did the exam in half an hour and spent the next hour counting ceiling tile, working out how many floor tiles to a ceiling tile, and subsequently working out how many floor tiles there were - quite a feat whilst trying to avoid moving your head too much :p:

ReputationRep:
    Maths -- from my brother's experience. :eek: He was lucky to scrape an E in it at AS level -- perhaps unsurprisingly, he didn't continue with it.

ReputationRep:
    Short course RS by a landslide. We watched the Simpsons for 50 minutes a week for 2 years and I got an A :rolleyes: French was easy too, although I had a fantastic teacher for that.

ReputationRep:
    Business Studies - easiest GCSE for me too

Although the Sciences GCSEs with their 65/100 for an A* boundaries weren't too far behind in the easyness scale...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platinum Mech)
    Maths -- from my brother's experience. :eek: He was lucky to scrape an E in it at AS level -- perhaps unsurprisingly, he didn't continue with it.
    If you got B+ in your GCSE you stand a very good chance of getting A-C in AS Maths, whether you enjoy maths or not. There isn't really much material in AS Maths.

ReputationRep:
    Additional Further Maths?

ReputationRep:
    Physics!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    If you got B+ in your GCSE you stand a very good chance of getting A-C in AS Maths, whether you enjoy maths or not. There isn't really much material in AS Maths.
    My sister went from A* at GCSE to E at AS. Needless to say she dropped it.

Not sure how this happened then? was a few years ago now and she didnt become a waster or anything...

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad that the majority of us agree that Chemistry is terrible. I agree with that. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. You can stick your bloody Hess Law. You won't see me doing it at A2, that's for sure.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry, don't you just love it....

Die, biologists, die!

ReputationRep:
    No no NO! Biology is Ok. Chem is the evil twin, so to speak.

ReputationRep:
    Biology is all too messy for me, if that makes sense.
    In chemistry everything is ordered and has a reason.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.