Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

what would happen if people had a white or caucasian society at a university watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakebobby)
    Hands up anyone who has ever actually wanted to set up a white society at their uni, and not just to get one over the blacks/ to get a kick out of identifying a possible inconsistency in the university's policies? Or maybe, you really don't give a s***?
    When I go to uni I will probably start one. Not to break politically correct munters, or to get one up on blacks, but to celebrate the different cultures within the white race. Whites have contributed a hell of a lot to the 'advancement' (it's all relative, ain't it?) of humanity as a whole. Saying that, anybody would be able to join (obviously - so long as whites were allowed to join black, Asian, etc. societies).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Huh?

Im white?

Thanks. I didnt know that.
    Grr. Meant Laika!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laika)
    Don't be ridiculous. They don't deliberately target blacks just for the sake of it, this is a University set up IN RESPONSE to the fact that blacks weren't getting access to education. You can't deny the history of blacks and the civil rights movement in America to distort the comparison to University societies. It isn't necassarly necassary today, but being as that it's open to anyone, it's not remotely excluding anyone. So going by your logic here, you must be opposed to any societies at University in general, as they are targeting a certain type of person, even though ANYONE is welcome to join?
    a) It may be OPEN to others, but there is no effort to diversify the student body.

b) If a society in the US and ESPECIALLY an entire university were to have such low diversity, people would decry they institution and demand they do better. Isnt the argument that diversity is good for integration and race relations? What ever happened to that?

(Original post by Laika)
    To be honest, I do see that as a bit dubious, though as it also clearly has it's origins in the civil rights movement it's understandable why it exists. It's probably redundant now though.
    That's big of you actually.

Yes - I can understand why it began, but he fact is it continues to take donations for a racially exclusive scholarship when what needs to be addressed is social circumstance - not skin color.

(Original post by Laika)
    Are you unable to comprehend the point behind my posts? Stick to University societies.
    I made a broader point.

(Original post by Laika)
    They are there to bring together smaller groups that have a cultural and national history different to that of the mainstream culture in this country. 'White' is a racial group. It's not the same comparison. If it was British, it would be a suitable comparison, and I don't think anyone would object to a British society.
    I agree that they perform that function. However there is no doubt that some societies focus, in part, on race, and not culture as the tie that binds. The truth is that black culture is extremely disparate... so the point applies both ways.

(Original post by Laika)
    Blacks in the U.S. are united by historic oppression, the civil rights movement, etc. It's a shared black American cultural history. That's why in America, it's understandable that on the grounds of race, people may form groups, as it could apply to any oppressed group, women, the working class etc.
    And it is entirely divisive to continue such practices when cross-racial groups aim to end and fight racism, sexism etc, without resorting to racial cliques that group together people of the same skin color.

(Original post by Laika)
    If you're going to try and find double standards throughout the globe, then it's just totally distorting the issue. Of course there are going to be some racial double standards in other countries. We're discussing the formation of University societies in the UK, the discussion going from a 'white' university society to the West Indies. Let's not stray into farce.
    I dont seem to remember the OP limiting it to the UK.

Further, like most threads on here, a broader point emerged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cottonmouth)
    Grr. Meant Laika!
    I never assumed anythign about his race... as to gender - Lakia sounds like a girls name ... so I took a shot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laika)
    Anyway, ethnic minority groups are brought together by the fact that they have a shared cultural/national family heritage that is not native to England. It is not the mainstream way of life, it's a way of bringing together people with that background, not simply to bring together people of the same skin colour.
    Then groups celebrating indigenous cultures should be allowed! If societies name themselves 'black societies' and celebrate the array of black cultures, then societies should be able to name themselves under the 'white society' monicker and celebrate the smorgasbord of white cultures.

THAT is why it would not apply to a 'white' society. We live in a country where white is the majority race, there is no need for a society to cater to white cultural history. If one was to set up, say, a British culture society, open to members of any race, which would be the same principle as the ethnic minority societites, that would be fine.
    I can't believe these double standards. You're saying that societies such as black societies exist to celebrate the cultures if various non-whites, yet a white society would only exist to celebrate the race of white people.

We live in a multicultural society; Britain, as it is, currently celebrates the cultures of those who are not native to this country. A good example of this is Notting Hill Carnival.

As it is, a 'white' society whose only principle was to unite people of the same skin colour for the sake of it, would just be discriminatory.
    And the same goes for black societies, oriental societies, and all that!

ReputationRep:
    And your use of "white" implies that, whereas the use of "black" doesnt.
    Bull!

Black is an acceptable term used to describe afro-caribbean/african culture. White at the present time literally means white skin. Well, thats how i see it anyway.
    Then you're obviously hiding behind a veil of ignorance, aren't you? You've singlehandedly pointed out the double-standards, hah!

ReputationRep:
    If a black philanthropist wantd more black people to go to uni, and offered to give black boys money to pay for it, thats fine! People can do as they wish with money.
    If a white philanthriopist wanted more poor white people to go to university, and consequently offered to give poor white youths money to pay for it, would you call said white philanthropist racist? Judging by your posts in this thread, I believe you would - and you wouldn't even notice the double-standard.

Edit: Question has already been answered.

I'd just like to point out that this is still a form of racism - looking out for people based on the fact that they have the same skin colour as you. So, both white people and black people who only give money to children of their own colour are both, by definition, being racist. It's similar to those Italian National Front members who gave food containing non-kosher/halal chicken (so the Muslims and Jews wouldn't be able to eat it) to homeless people.

ReputationRep:
    Black is an acceptable term used to describe afro-caribbean/african culture. White at the present time literally means white skin. Well, thats how i see it anyway.
    Afro-caribbean and african culture are not the same thing. Very Very far from it.

ReputationRep:
    Round and round this thread goes, and where it stops, nobody knows.

Apart from the inevitable descent into angry remarks.

The heart of the matter is: Positive discrimination is a fact. You may not agree with it; like me, you may hold that discrimination is ALWAYS bad; or you may see this particular example of discrimination as a much-needed levelling of the playing field. But it happens, and it is the main - probably the only - reason for the existence of Black Societies and the non-existence of White Societies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent Smith)
    Round and round this thread goes, and where it stops, nobody knows.

Apart from the inevitable descent into angry remarks.

The heart of the matter is: Positive discrimination is a fact. You may not agree with it; like me, you may hold that discrimination is ALWAYS bad; or you may see this particular example of discrimination as a much-needed levelling of the playing field. But it happens, and it is the main - probably the only - reason for the existence of Black Societies and the non-existence of White Societies.
    Certainly close to the mark.

However if you take your view, which I do, then it is important to highlight circumstances of discrimination, so that those who take the view that discrimination is wrong period, can be aware that they disagee with the practice in question.

We need to show up such cases, otherwise they go unoticed. The broader point is preciely that - we should be avoiding all such pracitces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atomik)
    When I go to uni I will probably start one. Not to break politically correct munters, or to get one up on blacks, but to celebrate the different cultures within the white race. Whites have contributed a hell of a lot to the 'advancement' (it's all relative, ain't it?) of humanity as a whole. Saying that, anybody would be able to join (obviously - so long as whites were allowed to join black, Asian, etc. societies).
    What would your society do? Seriously, I understand that people with white skin have contributed to humanity but how do you practically celebrate that? Hold parties where everyone dresses as various constructions by Isambard Brunel?

ReputationRep:
    @Lawz:

We do indeed. But we also need to avoid being mistaken for a BNP "Whites are being downtrodden" rant when doing so, and threads like this are always one step away from turning into just that!

ReputationRep:
    That's exactly why I refuse to be a part of our schools Afro-Caribbean society. They all hate me for it, but I don't care.
    It's definitely hypocritical, and the 'similar culture' argument only works with people who don't no much about either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Katie*)
    That's exactly why I refuse to be a part of our schools Afro-Caribbean society. They all hate me for it, but I don't care.
    It's definitely hypocritical, and the 'similar culture' argument only works with people who don't no much about either.
    Where are you from Katie? Which Island?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakebobby)
    What would your society do? Seriously, I understand that people with white skin have contributed to humanity but how do you practically celebrate that? Hold parties where everyone dresses as various constructions by Isambard Brunel?
    Sit and play oh-so-white String Quartets until their brains spontaneously implode and blacks can inherit the Earth?

ReputationRep:
    @Lawz:

We do indeed. But we also need to avoid being mistaken for a BNP "Whites are being downtrodden" rant when doing so, and threads like this are always one step away from turning into just that!
    Perhaps, but I would never contend that whites are opressed.

However I do know people who have suffered violence, and in one ase, death, partially due to their being white.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not denying it. Racism flows "both" (that is, all) ways.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not denying it. Racism flows "both" (that is, all) ways.
    Absolutely.... an obvious point often not recognised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    However I do know people who have suffered violence, and in one ase, death, partially due to their being white.
    Whereabouts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    Whereabouts?
    Trinidad.

That was case btw - not arse.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.