Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishstudent)
    Generally (if it matters with regard to their problem) they will tell you whether they are male or female. Why does "what they're like" matter? Surely if they are asking for help with a specific problem then their previous posts matter very little (if at all). Would you hold the same objections if somebody created an account purely to ask a question, but didn't post anonymously? Personally I think it's a fantastic way to see an issue OUT of the context of that particular person's history - this can, I imagine, lead to greater objectivity and, perhaps, more useful replies.
    It matters because as I said, I like to know who I'm talking to. It doesn't make it easier to answer the question, I just happen to prefer knowing who I'm responding to. It's ok for people to use it, I just don't usually reply. It can lead to greater objectivity, but when I'm having a conversation on a forum, I tend to not strive for that. Anon is there for a reason - when you're saying something personal, that you don't feel you could say knowing it was from you. Using it to avoid neg rep for offensive posts isn't the designed use, and using it for a lot of the replies I've seen tend to make me wonder why, and believe it's overused. Not a big deal, just an opinion.

(Original post by englishstudent)
    "Way overused" is entirely subjective. Furthermore your subjective reasoning doesn't actually survive close scrutiny. But hey, if you don't want to reply to someone purely because they post anonymously then don't - they will just have to miss out on your dazzling insights! :p:
    Of course it's entirely subjective, it's my opinion, as it everyone elses on the matter. I'm not claiming it's wrong, I'm saying I happen to not find it condusive to a discussion - it's someone hiding something purposefully. And it seems that quite a few people also don't like it too much. It's an opinion.

I have to say I don't know why you take such seeming offense to someone believing anon is overused.

meep

What gives you the right to dictate when people should post anonymously and when they shouldn't?! I really love the anonymous button because it means I can give out really personal details about myself without the whole world knowing. People find different things embarrassing or difficult to talk to so what may seem like an ok topic for you to discuss openly may be really difficult for someone else!

(Original post by Anonymous)
    What gives you the right to dictate when people should post anonymously and when they shouldn't?! I really love the anonymous button because it means I can give out really personal details about myself without the whole world knowing. People find different things embarrassing or difficult to talk to so what may seem like an ok topic for you to discuss openly may be really difficult for someone else!
    I agree, the idea of a topic being comfortable to talk about is entirely subjective. What one person finds absolutely normal, another person might find excrutiatingly hard to talk about.

You can't just say: "Well it doesn't embarrass me, so why should it embarrass them?". We've all experienced different things and interpreted these experiences differently. It's naive to think we all react the same.

Way too many people posting as anon on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    All I was suggesting is that people should use the function as little as possible. What this constitutes is up to them.

ReputationRep:
    Then what was the point? Attention?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gideon2000uk)
    All I was suggesting is that people should use the function as little as possible. What this constitutes is up to them.
    That still doesn't sound reasonable to me. Why? I see no drawbacks.

haha im replying as anomynous. just to annoy you.

jk, i have a reason..
    i use it if im talking about my (poss past) eating disorder, my mum hitting me or my sister, other people's personal business if it affects me but i dont want to share their private business and it being possible to trace back to them, depression, basically anything i wouldnt want my parents or school friends stumbling across, as my parents have scoured places for stuff on me before!!

its like all the recent topics are from this one person above!

(Original post by Shylock)
    what i find annoying is that people who're posting replies post anon and then sign their names. when it's not necessayr
    Oh who's been doing that??

(Original post by gideon2000uk)
    I'm not sure if this has been brought up. But I would like to make a polite request that people refrain from posting anonymously if it is not absolutely necessary.

Obviuosly in certain threads it makes sense. But surely when we are talking about 'health and relationships' we should, on the most part be able to speak openly, honestly and un-ashamedly. It is rather a large chunk of everyone's life after all!

I think that for a lot of people it's just become a habit and I find it counter-productive and wrong headed in some threads.
    Bear in mind that a lot of people, myself included, have 'real life' friends who use this site who we don't want to read everything we post...I think the reason people use internet chatrooms in the first place is because it affords a degree of anonymity, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

ReputationRep:
    Actually i agree with the OP

some people use it for the most ridiculous of reasons. Yes some people need to, and who are we to dicate their needs. But IMO if someone uses the anon feature cos they are scared their opinion will attract negative responses, then they should just ahve some courage. if they believe somthing so strongly, you don't go hiding behinf the anon feature! Its an abuse of the system

I don't see the problem at all. Why should you care?

ReputationRep:
    Why does it matter? When people post anonymous they would obviously rather be anon doesn't matter for what reason.
    Also people are more likely to speak their mind under anon which in most cases is good.

ReputationRep:
    I mean, some things are embarrassing...

But wouldn't you say that whoever it was, and whatever problem... You wouldn't judge them...

Find it rther sad to think, people have to do this, out of fear of getting mocked publically... Kinda pi**es me off...

^^*&%*%^^$56 = This line is the equivalent of a cheese sandwich... -

Sorry... Went a bit dodgy there, decided to type in some random crap... lol erm... yeah ^That query. Ignore this..

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213899

this little thread here discusses that, only a short way down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serious narb)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213899

this little thread here discusses that, only a short way down
    Really... well... look at ol' ignorant me...

Well... someone said two heads are better than one. So maybe two threads are too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by creamcrackered)
    Really... well... look at ol' ignorant me...

Well... someone said two heads are better than one. So maybe two threads are too?
    i'm happy to rant about it here too, anonymous posting for insignificant things annoys me a lot. one of my many hates on this forum.

but then i'm just bloody cynical

ReputationRep:
    A cycnical steve like me...

The kinda guy who will say anything, not be ashamed, not care what others think, and still not judge others... maybe make a sly jovial comment thouhg on occassion

Anonymity is for sillyos... ? yeah... and so on -

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2006
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.