Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    got pembroke - what's that like??

ReputationRep:
    How is everyone hearing...snail mail, e-mail? I'm getting scared they've forgotten about me...!

Pembroke is a lovely college across from Christ Church, very pretty but also pretty poor. Congrats to you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danileigh)
    How is everyone hearing...snail mail, e-mail? I'm getting scared they've forgotten about me...!
    I haven't actually heard it from the college themselves - this is starting to get a little concerning after a week and a bit...

ReputationRep:

Pembroke is a lovely college across from Christ Church, very pretty but also pretty poor. Congrats to you!!
    Relatively poor - still has more money than most non-OxBridge places

But yeah, is known as Pem-broke, especially after tabloid snoozepapers managed to buy places their for fictitious children a few years back...

It's a very nice coll though - they had a fairly active MCR when I was at Oxford, so even if they don't now they obviously have potential...

Youngone - Are you going for their graduate scholarship? Very generous IIRC...

ReputationRep:
    no i very luckily got a full fees and maintenance scatcherd european thingy from the university itself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youngone)
    no i very luckily got a full fees and maintenance scatcherd european thingy from the university itself!
    wow! congrats! I applied for it but didn't get it
    If you don't mind me being curious, did you have outstanding academic record + lots and lots of other extra academic stuff? I know I probably wasn't a strong candidate for those scholarship as competition is awfully fierce, but I'm just curious to know what you need to have in order to be successful
    Don't worry if you don't feel like answering! Well done, anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    But yeah, is known as Pem-broke, especially after tabloid snoozepapers managed to buy places their for fictitious children a few years back...
    QED - What I said in the other thread Kalen.

ReputationRep:
    check your pms kalen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platocrates)
    QED - What I said in the other thread Kalen.
    ? This thread? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...ighlight=Kalen

ReputationRep:
    Oh! Sould apologise too - it was The Sunday Times, not the Sun or similar!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/1890502.stm
    http://newswww.bbc.net.uk/1/hi/education/1891403.stm
    http://www.studentbmj.com/issues/02/05/news/137.php

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    ? This thread? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...ighlight=Kalen
    Yeah.

ReputationRep:
    not quite seeing the student-british-medical-journal relevance to this story...even the Spence line is token & tagged on the end. :hmmmm:
    & it's also controversial that another college turned down a donor's son? :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    "Three months ago, Trinity College turned down the son of a banker because he was not clever enough--despite a £100 000 donation to the college."

Corruption, indeed... :rolleyes:

(Original post by Elles)
    even the Spence line is token & tagged on the end.
    I still don't get the big deal that was made out of her case. She's surely not the first with 5 A's to be rejected by Oxford and accepted into an Ivy or the other way around.... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Well, University College said no I had to call them, they said there was a glitch in the system because I was supposed to have been e-mailed.

What happens now?? Am I destined for somewhere random?

ReputationRep:
    Well, University College said no I had to call them, they said there was a glitch in the system because I was supposed to have been e-mailed.

What happens now?? Am I destined for somewhere random?
    You should hear really soon then about where you are allocated because allocation is due on the 19th.

I hope you don't get somewhere random, but chances are you'll either get one of the smaller colleges or somewhere like Linacre (which is very nice, apparently) or Wolfson because they take a relatively large number of graduates.

Do you have any specifically negative feelings to a particular college, because mostly if you ask on these boards you'll find that its actually quite nice and there's nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    Woo, finally have a letter from Trinity. Definitely have a place, unconditional from both college and department (other than funding, but since I have a NERC studentship that isn't a problem)

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.