Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Was it you? ^^ It was post #54 in this thread for some reason...
    LOL

someone doesnt like png's

ces't la vie

have sum rep!

ReputationRep:
    well, 2moz when i can

ReputationRep:
    Maybe mshar thought I *was* calling him a gimp :s

I'm sorry dude! I truly wasn't, you're a great guy and all

ReputationRep:
    huh. lol. I don't even know how to give reps. I new from the beginning tat he was on about the gimp program.

ReputationRep:
    I looovvveee yooouuu

Lol, ok, I didn't think it was you anyway

ReputationRep:
    Hey i sent u pm nd u never replied! nd how do you give reps?

ReputationRep:
    There's a set of scales to the top right of every post

ReputationRep:
    How do i know if i have rep?

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me how to transfer my music from windows to debian if ther is no quik way can ne 1 tell me how i can mount my psp so i can put my tracks on my 2gb mem stik nd mount da psp to load da files.

ReputationRep:
    behold the power of the command line

mkdir ~/music
    cp -r /media/hda1/Doc <tab>/uraccount/My M <tab>/* ~/music/

i wrote <tab> where u press tab to save remembering how to spell

(this is assuming u have ur music stored in "my music", and that it is on hda1)

*puts on teacher voice*
    things to remember from this lesson:
    mkdir = "make directory"
    ~ is the same as writing /home/username
    cp = "copy"
    -r = "recursive" (copy subdirectories too)
    * = absolutely everything (you could also write "r*" to copy everything beggining with r, or "*ing" or "r*R*aaa*123" etc.... i think. never tried it tbh)

edit: come to think of it, why do you need to copy the music accross?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for tat! So basically if my music files are stored in the My Music folder, I can use that same code. BTW my HDD with Windows is Primary so wouldn't it be hda0?

come to think of it, why do you need to copy the music accross?
    So I don't have to download each file again.

I got some more good news! after installing Gnome (previously had window maker) I got several programs to work, including firefox, the gtk error was gone. I can now play anything (well, anything ive tried so far). I want to install opengl so i can use 3d desktop. I couldn't find it using synaptic/apt-get. how do i do tat or is it already installed? Thanks again mate.

ReputationRep:
    How do i use tab function? i press tab while im typing, the only ting tat happens is a beep! I tried to copy the file but the documents and settings folder name has spaces so it don't recognise it. I tried to open the mnt folder but it wont let me cos it says i dont have permission. How do i stop the GUI login screen so i go straight into the terminal instead of the GUI. It wont let me login as root!

ReputationRep:
    When I mount a windows partition, I need to put the directory in speech marks, and type the full name in. I think you might have to do this here.

So, to copy from my music folder:

Code:
    sudo cp -R "/mnt/windows/home/My Music/Pink Floyd/DSOTM/*" ~/mult*/mus*/Pin*/
    To get the relevent permissions, type
    Code:
    su
    (or if that doesn't work, "sudo su") before you ask for it to copy.

You stop the GUI in a complicated manner involved disabling the init.d file.

You might need to enable another repository in apt-get to enable opengl. That said, there isn't actually an opengl package, it's included in 3D graphics drivers (what video card do you have?)

ReputationRep:
    Oh, check for rep by going to you control panel (User CP at the top nav bar - or here)

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any reps ...

I got Radeon 9550. I found out how to stop the GUI. I edited the inittab file.

Your folder structure is different, mine is da default one where it's in the Documents and settings folder and in there is my folder which contains "My Music" - How do i copy the documents and settings folder 'cos its got spaces.

Edit: I still haven't figured out how to use the tab function - I press it while I type .../My Doc... but nothing happens, only a beep.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about the tab, I've never used it, don't know if I have it. If you're browsing the linux filesystem, you can use a wildthing (*) instead. So /home/mu* for me becomes /home/multimedia.

For you, you'd have
    Code:
    sudo cp -R "/mnt/windows/Documents and Settings/yourname/My Music/Music Folder Spelt Exactly"
    with the /mnt/windows being where your Windows partition is mounted; and the speech marks mean it goes *exactly*there. Capital letters are also important.

ReputationRep:
    Im in Ubuntu on firefox! I managed to get mp3 codec to work but having hassle playing dvds, one player sound goes and on totem i get libdvdcss is not running but i know it is .... such a bloody pain though.

ReputationRep:
    The tab thing works only if you're using the bash shell which you all probably are, you press tab once and if it can complete the path/command from what you've written it does, if not it bleeps, if you double tap it brings up a list of all possible endings to the path/command.

To do spaces "My Music" becomes "My\ Music"

ReputationRep:
    if i can be bothered i might link you to it but for the moment just search on ubuntuforums.org for automatix

it is a semi gui tool that does everything the newbie wants to do

mp3, wma, dvd, videoLAN, flash, java, latest firefox etc. etc.

its the mad ****

as for copying the files, why dont you just play them from the windows partition?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Don't worry about the tab, I've never used it, don't know if I have it. If you're browsing the linux filesystem, you can use a wildthing (*) instead. So /home/mu* for me becomes /home/multimedia.

For you, you'd have
    Code:
    sudo cp -R "/mnt/windows/Documents and Settings/yourname/My Music/Music Folder Spelt Exactly"
    with the /mnt/windows being where your Windows partition is mounted; and the speech marks mean it goes *exactly*there. Capital letters are also important.
    thats because unix hates whitespace so you have to write (as cobra said)

My\ Music
    My\ Documents
    Documents\ and\ Settings

*or*

My<tab> and it would fill it all in for you!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 30, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.