Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Being Irish watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*~ Tammy ~*~)
    you lot just keep thinking that :rolleyes: :p:
    shall indeed. one day i hope to own a house in cultra. you've really made it when you get a house down on the coast there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    shall indeed. one day i hope to own a house in cultra. you've really made it when you get a house down on the coast there!
    lol good for you :p: hehehe

ReputationRep:
    The Americans think just because they once drank a pint of Guiness they're Irish!

Excuse the complete generalisation and sweeping statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittennffc)
    The Americans think just because they once drank a pint of Guiness they're Irish!

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    hehehehe aye seems darren loves them too :rofl:
    Yep, I do :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittennffc)

Drink enough to replace your blood with guinness, then you are sorted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deej2)
    Yep, I do :love:
    you'd need to :love:

ReputationRep:
    you'd need to :love:
    Why would that be eh? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deej2)
    Why would that be eh? :p:
    because i said so :p:

ReputationRep:
    because i said so :p:
    hehe, why can i sense :whip being a good smilie? :p:

/thread hijacking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deej2)
    hehe, why can i sense :whip being a good smilie? :p:

/thread hijacking
    :rofl: yeah you're whipped darren :p:

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: yeah you're whipped darren :p:
    Not until Lpool baby
    So, being Irish......
    Great aint it :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deej2)
    So, being Irish......
    Great aint it :p:
    :rofl: yeah coming from someone who's not irish :p: and yeah i can wait to then :p:

(Original post by technik)
    Oh yes, it is the place to be.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: yeah coming from someone who's not irish :p: and yeah i can wait to then :p:
    hehe, the accent

ReputationRep:
    Pesky thread hijackers...wouldn't happen in Ireland (North or South) :rolleyes: Oh wait... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tarts_n_Vicars)
    Pesky thread hijackers...wouldn't happen in Ireland (North or South) :rolleyes: Oh wait... :eek:
    heheheh :p:

ReputationRep:
    I have a dad from the republic and a mum from northern ireland. I was born in raised in England. I consider myself English. but im proud of the irish roots

ReputationRep:
    I have a dad from the republic and a mum from northern ireland. I was born in raised in England. I consider myself English. but im proud of the irish roots

ReputationRep:
    I don't have anything against Ireland or Irish people, but I can't understand why a lot of us seem to love the country and it's people. Why do we hold the Irish in such high regard all the time? Is it just because of their accent, or because of the Guinness or what? It's as if there's nothing better than being Irish, and everyone wants an Irish partner or even to be Irish.

I don't dislike Irish people in general, but the Irish people that come over to Liverpool on St Patrick's Day for a night out out annoy me - they go around painting the city centre green and encouraging everyone else to join them in getting pissed and if anything, they seem to be reinforcing our obsession with drinking.

People only seem to visit Ireland because of their bars and pubs, and the only ideal, must-visit place in Dublin is the Guinness factory. All my flat mates want to get a cheap ferry to Dublin and they want me to come along with them, but I can't understand the appeal of the country. People also go on about Ireland's unspoilt, natural beauty - Wales and Scotland are equally as unspoilt and beautiful, but nobody talks about either country or their people as highly.

My dad, who spent a few nights in Dublin was surprised by how the city has such a relaxed atmosphere, and how Brits on holiday there were so well-behaved even when enjoying the city's drinking lifestyle. I've visited other countries in Europe such as France, Italy and Spain, and all three countries have a far richer culture and history, far better food and a more peaceful lifestyle, but it really shames me to see Brits on holiday especially in France with their loutish and ignorant behaviour at bars and restaurants. People here seem to go on about how they hate the French, who are far more civilised people than Irish.

Perhaps it's just a matter of personal taste, but I'm in the minority - I don't think much at all of Ireland or the Irish.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.