Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why do we wear skinny jeans? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I thought the baxter jeans are quite a good fit compared to other stores. I tried them on this week (don't worry, didn't buy them!) and they fit very nicely indeed. I'm nearly 5ft 8" and tried on the 34" (leg) ones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by so_this_is_sam)
    i tried some baxters on but are they created for short people, because they didnt even touch the floor.
    They do different leg lengths in them. I have them in gray and black, both 30" (my legs are longer but I wanted it so I could comfortably tuck them into my boots) but the black ones seem to be a fair bit shorter, which is odd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by so_this_is_sam)
    i tried some baxters on but are they created for short people, because they didnt even touch the floor. i also tried a 26 waist which i am definitely not and they were really stretchy and kept falling down! was very odd. are you meant to buy them small? also, what waist size is a 26 i am confused with all these sizes
    Yeah I got that size but they are now too big! I think they must be about equal to the size 8 so I really should have gone for the 25 which seeing as it was the smallest must be size 6.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groseille)
    oh no! i meant not skeletal/boy-shape

i'm sure you look fantastic!
    Ah see what you mean! hehe thanks but I don't :p: At the moment I've been through another phase of trying to bend my body to my will, which of course never works, so my top half is too small for my bottom half again. Gah, I give up, am resigned to putting the half stone back on!

I think the key thing is to wear what makes you feel comfortable regardless of trends. Something I've finally come to realise is that if you can accept that some trends look good on other people but not you, and not let it upset you, life is a hell of a lot easier! Yeah I've been having a self-acceptance problem

ReputationRep:
    Personally i like them. They are basically the only type of jeans that dont dragg along the floor and rip. however it does annoy me when i walk into topshop or h&m and i see all these boys trying to buy girls skinny jeans!

ReputationRep:
    [quote=-x-buttercup-x-]I don't think its particularly size that matters when wearing skinny jeans but proportion. Someone like Scarlett Johansson would look ridiculous in skinny jeans, but someone who was in a bit more proportion but the same size wouldn't.

I actually saw a photo of her in a magazine wearing skinny jeans and I thought she worked it. I have a couple of uberslim friends who in my opinion look bow-legged in their baxters. Although I think it is less of a skinny/curvy issue and more to do with proportionality. And besides, different brands have different cuts; one of my pairs are very tight around the ankle and others are more like straight-legged jeans.

ReputationRep:
    I have to wear bootcut jeans - no choice. Because even the petite ranges are slighty too long and the best way to get around that is my lovely £30 pair of black boots, brought from tesco by my grandparents last year.

I believe Skinny is out now anyway - all the fashion catwalk shows on Television have been saying that wide jeans are the new in thing!

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion its ugly, tarty and you look like a bit of a clown...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Element54)
    In my opinion its ugly, tarty and you look like a bit of a clown...
    I havn't read every post, so might be wrong, but you think skinny jeans are tarty?!

ReputationRep:
    I think they are the furthest from tarty.

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by Lyndzxx
    Women are ment to be the hourglass figure and skinny jeans help me to gain that.
    I've got an hourglass figure and I can't bear the thought of skinny jeans on me, I think I'd be sick if I saw myself wearing them. I have a small waist, big hips and bum but where the shape goes wrong is my thighs. The bottom half of my legs are thin but my thighs are disgusting, which means skinny jeans would look absolutely awful on me. Luckily, my thighs are getting a bit smaller though :p: through dieting, but its doing nothing for my stomach and I can't gym due to sprained ankle. Never run for a train! Thats the moral of the story (for my sprained ankle).

Originally posted by demonbuttercup
    Ooooh how I wish that that stupid trend would die like the ponchos did. :rolleyes:
    Me too!!! I don't just hate them because they wouldn't look good on me but I just think they look like leggings, which are made of jean material. But thats just my opinion, I went shopping last Thursday wearing some really baggy jeans and got so many strange looks from people because everyone was wearing skinny jeans so I'm not *supposedly* allowed to wear baggy jeans because they're not *in*! Arghhh, I get this so much at my school, I don't need it when I go out as well!

ReputationRep:
    Ok the ponchos were ugly..

ReputationRep:
    I am really short so they make my legs look stupid.

ReputationRep:
    im only 5ft1 and a size 8 but they elongate my legs when i wear them with heels and i only have a dark grey/black pair so they also slim me down. i wudnt wear light coloured ones. i have dark denim ones which i only wear with boots as they are specifically for tucking in. i like straight leg jeans even though i havent got any, im desperate for a pair as they are a kind of happy medium between skinny and bootcut. they can look smart or be dressed down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PunkiePixie)
    It depends on the person, id never ever suit them, im a curvy 10, and im 5'3 w/ stumpy legs, so i couldnt.
    I dont think you have to be boy-stick thin to suit them, granted they really do flatter those figures. For me it really seems to depend on your leg length - they tend to flatter thinner or longer legs (regardless of size). Also you need a lot confidence,to wear jeans that tight!!!
    Definately, it's all about feeling confident and comfortable with your figure!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a size 10 to 12 on the bottom and I love my skinny jeans, I'm not sure if other people would say they suit me and prob would say I'm too big for them but I like wearing them so I don't really care. Also they fit in with my indie look!

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.