Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Ulster watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    I don't think you'll find a country in the Western part of the world which admires the English and the British in general than Canada. They're A LOT more anglophile than Australians or Kiwis for example, simply because many anglophones regret the loss of strong ties with the mother country and the slow americanisation due to economic factors...

The only place where it gets a bit confusing is in Quebec because to them "Les Anglais" (The English) are the English-speaking Canadians (who are probably only about 25% of English origin, the rest mostly Scottish and Eastern European more recently). They usually don't know how to react to the encounter of an Englishman. They usually just picture them wearing tweed and being all uptight but there's no real animosity there.

I don't think many Papau New Guineans loathe the English with a passion either. My point was that some people from all over the world will dislike the English, or some other nation, largely just for the sake of it. Canada was just one of the coutries I pulled out of the air ehile typing.

Not intended as a slur Canada, or the others listed, so apologies if it was misread as such.

ReputationRep:
    i dont see there being huge hatred type stuff going on, but i think alot of northern irish people/irish people see it as england having taken somehting of theirs in the past (eg - part of irelands geographical landmass) during that whole "lets expand the empire/take over the world phase". And like kids taking each others barbies theryll be a bit of a huff obviously - if that makes any sense! im sure if i decided id take over 1/4 of england there would be a fair few people wanting to give me a good slap lol

ReputationRep:
    I like to see them defeated in things like football and war.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcoATksKweY

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jim-ie)
    I like Tommy Tiernan, he's pretty funny.

ReputationRep:
    That was quite funny.

I think he nicked the bit about the colonials following us home from Eddie Izzard though.

ReputationRep:
    Ulster is one annoying term. As has been said, Ulster includes counties outside of the Northern Ireland, with a high Republican population. If there was a vote in Ulster tommorrow, we would be entering a United Ireland by the end of next month.

And the Irish really don't have it in for the English. My granddad had a laugh with us about him being a British citizen, while my granny (from the South) is only a British subject. My uncle's new girlfriend (from Donegal, with the most Irish sounding name I've heard) looked taken aback. Ha. There are people with republican agendas. Most people realise the English government is a reluctant, almost neutral player in the North now. Things in Ireland have changed

ReputationRep:
    Thats because you are a small-minded, hate-filled *******.

ReputationRep:
    And you say I'm hate filled.

ReputationRep:
    You're a bell-end, Jim? You never mentioned.

You have my sympathies. If you need someone to talk to or anything, I'm only a PM away.

:p:

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I'll keep that in mind after I see my GP about it.

ReputationRep:
    The only Northern Irish people I've met have been so Britophile it's pathetic; I swear half the people in the Union don't even know NI is part of it, but for these people it's a matter of life and death and nationalism and pride and all sorts of stuff that isn't actually important at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Solitary Reaper)
    The only Northern Irish people I've met have been so Britophile it's pathetic; I swear half the people in the Union don't even know NI is part of it, but for these people it's a matter of life and death and nationalism and pride and all sorts of stuff that isn't actually important at all.
    Identity becomes important to people when it's threatened. We all became very forcefully British during and immediately after the world wars.

I doubt half the people in the UK don't realise NI is part of it. It's been in the news for the last forty years, after all. But then again, never underestimate the stupidity of the common man.

ReputationRep:
    I see it more along the lines that a lot of people in the UK dont care about NI, you rarely hear about it in England at least, its never on the news unless something big happens, its never in the papers, and the only irish papers I've found has been the Irish times which is southern. I've had countless people ask me whats going on over there and they dont really get the situation unless its explained to them multiple times. Its rare someone knows the score.

ReputationRep:
    I see it more along the lines that a lot of people in the UK dont care about NI, you rarely hear about it in England at least, its never on the news unless something big happens, its never in the papers, and the only irish papers I've found has been the Irish times which is southern. I've had countless people ask me whats going on over there and they dont really get the situation unless its explained to them multiple times. Its rare someone knows the score.
    Well, what do you expect of the media? "In other news, Northern Ireland is ticking over in its usual slightly irritating fashion on ingrained and bitter sectarian conflict, flimsily held together"? They report news, after all - significant events.

If you're trying to suggest the availability of the Irish Times instead of the Belfast Telegraph indicates that English people care more about southern issues than northern, I think you'd be very wrong. I doubt many people could even tell you the two main political parties in the Republic, for example; plenty more are going to be familiar with the DUP, UUP, Sinn Fein etc.

Generally though, it's only of detached interest. Sectarian conflict is so far removed from the ordinary lives of most British people - it's a foreign and quite unpleasant concept.

ReputationRep:
    thats exactly my point, there is no interest in england what goes on here, its unpleasent.

ReputationRep:
    do you think it will be ceded to the Republic in 5 years? 10? 15? or is it by no means inevitable at all?

im asking what people think will happen, not want to happen here, i dont know very much about the NI situation or at least am not at all up to date.

ReputationRep:
    It'll become a devolved region of the Irish republic, yes, but itll not be in 10 years, more along the lines of 20 at best.

ReputationRep:
    It'll become a devolved region of the Irish republic, yes, but itll not be in 10 years, more along the lines of 20 at best.
    forgive me for being cynical but is there not a chance that when that happens, an element of the Protestant community could form a seperatist element and we could see the exact same situation we saw with the IRA, but the other way around, for a number of years?

ReputationRep:
    Yes there is but we are in an age where that type of behaviour isnt tolerated. It'll happen through a referendum so its important to make sure to listen to them so it doesnt happen the wrong way. The reason nationalists kicked up and it all came to a head was because of lack of representation, and discrimination in housing and jobs, being second class citizens, not because of the border so much.

ReputationRep:
    Its a european region now. i dont think it will be ceded to anybody

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2008
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.