Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SocialSuicide)
    Because all humans are equal, and deserve to be supported.
    Everyone is equal?

That's why you're advocating compelling the decent majority to give to these people via the state while they give... nothing.

That's not equal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoecb)
    You really think homeless people don't have jobs because they don't WANT them? Can you imagina applying for a job if you don't have a home? How do you get a CV, and look presentable? etc.
    I do believe in most cases that is the situation that they don't want jobs.

Whether it's a mental health thing or simply a lack of willingness to work in order to gain the skills to make them employable is academic really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howie)
    My town is littered with bums, spongers, and trampies (more politically correctly known as hobos ). Recently a tramp cursed me when I refused his plea for change. The reason why I didn't give him change was because it has always been my conviction that my generous offerings would only contribute to the further deterioration of the subject, i.e. drugs and drink. Instead of lounging around and intimidating decent folk they should be "volunteered" by the government into making a proper contribution to society e.g. charity work, army front line. They are harming our countries precious image and only by cleansing our soceity of these scum will we be able to rectify our damaged reputation!

P.S. Look out for my imminent gypo-hate post
    You give a tramp basic rifle training, you'll get a hell of a lot more than a curse when you refuse him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertineNorth)
    Everyone is equal?

That's why you're advocating compelling the decent majority to give to these people via the state while they give... nothing.

That's not equal.
    No thats not equal, well done, have a cookie.

I was talking about humans being equal to one and other.

What about the fatcats who make bucketloads? You think thats equal? What about Bush, getting paid to literally destroy America and other countries? Is that equal?

You can not base "equal" on financial contribution to society. Money is something we have created, not natural. corruption and exploitation happen in many forms, whether it be drug running or sex slave trading etc....they have money, give some back to society throuh taxes etc, but would you consider them equal?

ReputationRep:
    Humans may be born equal and entitled to the same rights, but that does not mean humans are equal.

I don't care about someone's morals or someone's life, you're completely missing the point here, what I care about is their relationship with the state: and you're advocating an unbalanced one.

ReputationRep:
    We need to sort out our tramp problem. Am I right in thinking that asylum seekers, once let in, get housing über quickly?

ReputationRep:
    Whether it's a mental health thing or simply a lack of willingness to work in order to gain the skills to make them employable is academic really.
    It's irrelevant if it's a mental health thing? You don't believe that a positive mark of a civilised society is giving everybody who is of sound mind and body a chance to have a passable life if they are actively seeking work, and to provide allowances for those who are mentally or physically incapable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent Smith)
    You give a tramp basic rifle training, you'll get a hell of a lot more than a curse when you refuse him.
    I wasn't saying that we should actually put tramps into the army, but instead suggesting one of many (mostly far-fetched) solutions to rid society of tramps. I just don't want to experience the intimidation and general vulgarity of the these so called 'vagrants' (a far too eloquent word for such a repugnant 'species').

Another story to reiterate the sub-human nature of these people was that experienced by my friend and I. My friend dropped a 20p coin onto the mat in front of the sitting tramp who proceeded by hurling some quite crude abuse against our apparent 'lacking generousity'. I felt disgusted that the tramp did not appreciate my friends charitable gesture. Another abominable experience i have had was that of a homeless lady approaching me with two clearly malnourished children. She asked for change whilst lending her eyes on her sickly children, obviously trying to motivate a sense of guilt for her children's suffering. While i have enormous sympathy for such children i felt it likely that the mother would spend my offerings on drugs etc and such exploitation of her children to feed her addiction is despicable.

Tramps for me are horrible, vile beings that bring shame on society - while the army may not by the solution, there must be a more plausible solution that should be enforced to cleanse our society of these bums.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    It's irrelevant if it's a mental health thing? You don't believe that a positive mark of a civilised society is giving everybody who is of sound mind and body a chance to have a passable life if they are actively seeking work, and to provide allowances for those who are mentally or physically incapable?
    no.

dog eat dog.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amon.)
    Or for cheap labour instead of immigrants?
    Scientific experiments instead of animals?
    You sick nazi freak:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    My point is that most of them aren't seeking employment.

ReputationRep:
    I had the nicest chat with a tramp the other day. Poor guy went to Cambridge uni got married, his wife got shot and he just didn't see a point in pretending to carry on being happy/social. Smart guy - sometimes homeless people are that way simply due to bad luck and circumstance. These people need help instead of being ignored. Last year I was in high street kensington (posh area of London) in the early morning and there was a tramp dieing with blood all over his chest and hands on the street and people were just walking over him like he didn't exist- so sad.

ReputationRep:
    My point is that most of them aren't seeking employment.
    Yes, but if they suffer some severe mental problems, don't you think that should be accounted for somehow?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but if they suffer some severe mental problems, don't you think that should be accounted for somehow?
    What? By giving them electro-shock therapy until they want to have jobs?

If they're so bonkers (excuse the jargon) that they can't look after themselves, then pack them off to a hospital; otherwise, they've chosen that lifestyle. Hell, they might even enjoy it - I don't think we should be making judgements on what is right and proper on their behalf.

If they want some cash for food, fine, but to imply that it's somehow their God-given right to get other people's stuff when they aren't willing to give anything back is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I don't harbour any ideas about a sovereign right to property, since "all property is theft" when you look at it. There is only so much to go around, environmentally speaking - I'm not committing the lump of labour fallacy - and there is only so much technology can do to ease that. The fact that the average UK resident is using 3 times their share of the world's resources is a bad thing and I will not concede that to anyone.

There are 100,810 homeless families in the UK and, currently, Britons own 328,000 second homes in the UK and have 178,000 empty properties abroad. A no brainer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howie)
    I wasn't saying that we should actually put tramps into the army, but instead suggesting one of many (mostly far-fetched) solutions to rid society of tramps. I just don't want to experience the intimidation and general vulgarity of the these so called 'vagrants' (a far too eloquent word for such a repugnant 'species').

Another story to reiterate the sub-human nature of these people was that experienced by my friend and I. My friend dropped a 20p coin onto the mat in front of the sitting tramp who proceeded by hurling some quite crude abuse against our apparent 'lacking generousity'. I felt disgusted that the tramp did not appreciate my friends charitable gesture. Another abominable experience i have had was that of a homeless lady approaching me with two clearly malnourished children. She asked for change whilst lending her eyes on her sickly children, obviously trying to motivate a sense of guilt for her children's suffering. While i have enormous sympathy for such children i felt it likely that the mother would spend my offerings on drugs etc and such exploitation of her children to feed her addiction is despicable.

Tramps for me are horrible, vile beings that bring shame on society - while the army may not by the solution, there must be a more plausible solution that should be enforced to cleanse our society of these bums.
    You are sick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howie)

Riiiight, so on your list of what constitutes as sub- human behaviour, there is swearing at a lack of generosity, and looking at malnourished children.

Guess what i think is sub-human. A complete lack of compassion for the human condition, whether or not you believe they got that way themselves. I wouldn't care if it was all their fault, and they were drug addits. I'd feel sorry for them and their condition, and i'd wish that we were all able to lead "good" lives. The lack of feeling on your part is sociopathic and frankly quite scary. It has been conclusively shown in results from brain scans of serial killers, that the makeup of their brains in the areas that deal with compassion and empathy, is different from that of those who are "normal". You are despicable; i know who i would rather share a day with.

ReputationRep:
    I would happily hire a few tramps to follow Howie around all day, being as tramplike as possible as they do so. They get some regular income, I get a laugh, everyone who counts is happy!

ReputationRep:
    People who are homeless should be helped to find somewhere to live and work by a combination of non profit organisations and the government. Yes many may have problems with alcohol or drugs but why does that mean that society should turn its back on them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cottonmouth)
    Guess what i think is sub-human. A complete lack of compassion for the human condition, whether or not you believe they got that way themselves. I wouldn't care if it was all their fault, and they were drug addits. I'd feel sorry for them and their condition, and i'd wish that we were all able to lead "good" lives. The lack of feeling on your part is sociopathic and frankly quite scary. It has been conclusively shown in results from brain scans of serial killers, that the makeup of their brains in the areas that deal with compassion and empathy, is different from that of those who are "normal". You are despicable; i know who i would rather share a day with.
    Yes, I'm sure if they started screaming '*****' and what have you at your girlfriend, or threatening to kill her, for just walking down the street and not giving them spare change then I would like to see you feel sorry for them.

Do you actually believe anyone should ever take responsibility for anything they do?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.