Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Crap I'd say.

So the 'slave aren't pop-rock.

ReputationRep:
    Pop rock is basically pop!!!! Or if someone can't deside where to put a band they'll probably put it in a weird genre like pop rock.

The best name for a song genre is from my mates' iTunes - one song genre was called Environmental!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !:confused:

Environmental? Hehehe, what was the song?

ReputationRep:
    I don't remember , I can't even remember the band but it was someone really popular and heavy rock or metal, that's really all my mate likes! Another heavy song was labelled blues as well! His iTunes is strange.

Windows Media Player is the worst for that kind of thing; because it relies on other people putting a genre, things like The Corrs get labelled 'rock'.

ReputationRep:
    Best random genres on my media player:

- Darkwave
    - Christian Rock
    - Punk Electro

Darkwave always makes me laugh. Punk electro? Never heard that one (thankfully).

ReputationRep:
    Punk-electro yes, it's for a Prodigy song I downloaded...the silly child.

ReputationRep:
    What about christian rock? On mine i've got some random christian blues and I don't know where it came from!

(Original post by morgangills)
    Punk-electro yes, it's for a Prodigy song I downloaded...the silly child.
    OMGZ I CAN C IT NOW.

ReputationRep:
    The Christian rock is for Sixpence None The Richer.

ROCKIN' FOR CHRIST!

P.O.D. always come up as Christian rock and I hadn't even noticed that their music was filled with religious content. Maybe it isn't.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still confused about why exactly there's a difference between thrash and speed metal. And black and death.

ReputationRep:
    urgh whoever called feeder or colplay indie obviously knows nothing about music - its from an independent label e.g rough trade records such as the libertines or (was) moldy peaches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Q.E.D)
    This may seem a fairly stupid question, but what actually is the difference between techno, indie, electric, alternative... music?
    Well you have to know that you can't just divide music into equally important genres. The genres can have genres inside of them and sometimes a genre or sub-genre will belong to several genres. There's also loads of overlapping. You could just imagine loads of circles overlapping, with some circles bigger than others representing more basic genres. It's almost like group theory in maths... :eek:

Genres also depend on the country. What one culture will use the word "rock" to describe, will be described with a totally different name in another.

You could just look up these genres but I'll give a personal description. Electronic (I think that's what you meant) music is produced using samplers, drum machines, synthesisers and all kinds of gizmoes. To qualify this as a genre in itself is a bit restrictive because it encompasses so many different genres, one of which is techno. Electronica is not the same thing though and shouldn't get mixed with "Electronic music". It usually describes the more experimental side of electronic music where it's more about quirky sounds than melodies or beats.

Techno is considered as a genre within electronic music, characterised by heavy beats and the focus is mostly on that: unlike trance or house, there's no focus on melody. The references in the genre are Dave Clarke, Carl Cox, Sven Vath, Laurent Garnier...

When you look into rock music (I'd consider indie rock and alternative rock as sub-genres) it gets very confusing because it's so full of trends and fads and what someone will consider alternative in one culture or sub-culture, will not be considered as "alternative" in another. Indie rock is usually downbeat rock, nothing heavy. Strong focus on vocals. A lot of "indie rock" is called "pop rock" by some people.

Alternative rock was a name that just popped up in the 90s in the US, mostly what followed the grunge era with Nirvana and Pearl Jam.
    I usually consider that "alternative rock" is just the US equivalent of the UK's "indie rock". They just add a slightly heavier sound and image.

ReputationRep:
    Christian rock and christian metal is amazing!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    punk - the clash, the explosion etc
    punk rock - rancid, latterman, against me
    pop-punk - blink, new found glory, FOB, P!ATD, cartel, the academy is...
    hardcore punk - kid dynamite, lifetime, glass and ashes
    hardcore - bane, american nightmare, justice
    old school hardcore - judge, shark attack, minor threat, black flag
    rock - foo fighters
    alternative - smashing pumpkins
    indie - libs, maximo park, bloc party, blur
    black metal - mayhem
    death metal - nile, cannibal corpse
    grindcore - the locust, an albatross, daughters!
    grind metal - nasum
    screamo - antioch arrow, raein, orchid, heroin
    metalcore - converge, botch, every time i die, beecher, early cave in
    original emo - cap n jazz, rites of spring, owls, moss icon
    new emo - ffaf, thrice, poss AVA, boxcar racer
    melodic hardcore/post-hardcore - fugazi, hot water music, grade, bear vs shark, jets vs sharks

modern rap - subgenres (loosely - somebody else can correct me):
    east coast: indie - el-p, can ox, ill bill/non phixion, immortal tech
    gangsta - nas, jay z, fiddy, a million other shite artists.
    west coast: snoop dogg, 2pac, loadsa others.
    uk: hip hop - sway, poss klashnekoff
    grime - dizzee, ghetto, bruza, lethal b, no lay, lady sov, again countless others.

dnb - pendulum
    gabba - venetian snares, speedranch, kid606, enduser, shitmat

I never thought I'd see Lady Sovereign down as grime. That even amuses the lady herself.

I have no idea what that term means though.

ReputationRep:
    s'the name of the genre, innit. also called sublow, eski. and yeah, that's what she is.

Ahhh, I'm more familiar with eski. Is that exactly the same as grime, then?

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.