The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

psychic_satori
It depends what the public funding is for. It's rare for taxpayer money to be used for private universities, which suggests to me that the facilities that will be created are going to have some sort of greater public benefit than serving only the university and its interests.

I don't care what the perceived 'greater public good' may be.

No tax-payers' money should go to a private university with special and exclusive interests, especially when it encourages blatant discimination like this.

Would you be happy paying for the upkeep of a school that is known for it's blatant discimination against women?
Beekeeper
I don't care what the perceived 'greater public good' may be.

No tax-payers' money should go to a private university with special and exclusive interests, especially when it encourages blatant discimination like this.

Would you be happy paying for the upkeep of a school that is known for it's blatant discimination against women?

So, you would oppose using public funding to build a facility to hold free medical clinic for the poor? I'm against using public funds for basically anything aside from building roads, but I realize that's unrealistic. If the funding is going to create a facility that will serve the community in a substantial manner, I wouldn't be opposed to granting that all-male university, as long as the facility itself wouldn't be subject to the same code.
Reply 62
Beekeeper

If it were some sort of all boys school and this policy was made quite clear then, no.
Reply 63
psychic_satori
So, you would oppose using public funding to build a facility to hold free medical clinic for the poor? I'm against using public funds for basically anything aside from building roads, but I realize that's unrealistic. If the funding is going to create a facility that will serve the community in a substantial manner, I wouldn't be opposed to granting that all-male university, as long as the facility itself wouldn't be subject to the same code.

Well if it was for medical treatment then they shouldn't be able to dicriminate, hypocratic oath et al.
psychic_satori

In this case it obviously would, because the new 'codes' at the school (which were brought in after he enrolled!) say the school will not accept 'promotion' of anything "not consistent with Christian principles".

Basically tax-payers' money would be funding a pharmacy building in a private school, where gays are not allowed to study (atleast not if they admit they are gay, even on the internet on their own website).
I'm afraid that is absolutely unnacceptable. The University should be free to do whatever it likes, but taxpayers money should not be used to support it.

Anyway, my apologies to the thread starter, I didn't intend to hijack the thread.
Reply 65
Beekeeper
In this case it obviously would, because the new 'codes' at the school (which were brought in after he enrolled!) say the school will not accept 'promotion' of anything "not consistent with Christian principles".

Basically tax-payers' money would be funding a pharmacy building in a private school, where gays are not allowed to study (atleast not if they admit they are gay, even on the internet on their own website).
I'm afraid that is absolutely unnacceptable. The University should be free to do whatever it likes, but taxpayers money should not be used to support it.

Anyway, my apologies to the thread starter, I didn't intend to hijack the thread.

Id be interested to see how the money is spent, because if it was spent further religious dogma, I am SURE you would see court actions brought.
The money should be given back to the taxpayers. If the only university in the area is a private one then that is a significant burden lifted from the state and taxes should be lowered. I don't see why the Governor is so obsessed with intervening in university funds when it is private.

btw, heres an article on it if anyones interested:
http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/14330824.htm

Again I apologise to the thread starter for this hijacking!
Reply 67
Beekeeper
Again I apologise to the thread starter for this hijacking!

ahh np :wink:

Back to it - why is it that anti-americanism is so fashionable?
Lawz-

Because of the American Government, so I suppose 55-odd million American's have only themselves to blame really. The people who actually leave the U.S. occassionally (i.e. probably the people who didn't vote for Bush) are the ones that have got to take all the crap unfortunately.
Lawz-

Because it's comfortable, hard wearing, and looks good with anything?
Reply 70
Paul Bedford
Because it's comfortable, hard wearing, and looks good with anything?

The new black?
Reply 71
Lawz-

Could have something to do with the americanisation of a lot of things, i.e. the media.
Also they aren't portrayed as very likeable. The stereotypical 'yank' seems to be arrogant, pig-headed and loud, with an irritating pride/confidence in their country. They are somewhat famed for their uberpatriotism as of late.
George Bush, however, is probably 60% of the reason. Everyone latches onto his seeming stupidity and asociate it with America.
Reply 72
paddylad
Could have something to do with the americanisation of a lot of things, i.e. the media.
Also they aren't portrayed as very likeable. The stereotypical 'yank' seems to be arrogant, pig-headed and loud, with an irritating pride/confidence in their country. They are somewhat famed for their uberpatriotism as of late.
George Bush, however, is probably 60% of the reason. Everyone latches onto his seeming stupidity and asociate it with America.

Yeah - people hated the US way before Bush...

As to the cultural influence ... I mean - people are generally in control of their own culture... if they dont want more US tv or McDonalds near their house, dont watch/buy it .... the only reason US culture has spread is because people keep supporting it financially. Cultural democracy in action.
Reply 73
Lawz-
Yeah - people hated the US way before Bush...

As to the cultural influence ... I mean - people are generally in control of their own culture... if they dont want more US tv or McDonalds near their house, dont watch/buy it .... the only reason US culture has spread is because people keep supporting it financially. Cultural democracy in action.

I'm not saying that it isn't our fault that American culture has spread, or that it's necessarily a bad thing, but that's a reason why a lot of people don't like Americans, because they're confronted by the American culture at every corner.
Ok then, 60% politics-related (10% Bush).
Reply 74
paddylad
I'm not saying that it isn't our fault that American culture has spread, or that it's necessarily a bad thing, but that's a reason why a lot of people don't like Americans, because they're confronted by the American culture at every corner.

Absolutely - but its rather assbackwards to dislike americans because your country buys too many big macs... :smile:
paddylad

Lets not pretend George Bush is the only bad President the Americans have ever elected, they are almost as bad as us when it comes to picking leaders. Pretty much since George Washington, U.S. Presidents have gradually deteriorated to the excrement we have today, and they'll probably get even worse.

I'd say 60% is quite kind of you. I'd put the impact of the American Government's operations over time at about 85%.
Very rarely do you see someone burning a baseball cap or an American supermarket down, as irritating as they may be.
Bismarck
Since when does the culture of the Angles and Saxons resemble the culture of the ancient Britons? If you get to claim them as part of your history, the US can claim the Native Americans. This is quickly degenerating into my penis is bigger than your penis contest.

Our history is a cohesive whole and there are remnents of traditions which do penetrate back into the farthest anals of our history. Conservatives in America cannot appeal to history because they don't really have one. The Native Americans culture was crushed by the immigrants who populated America, and what is left is a cultural melting pot held together by fairly vaccuous values, cultures and traditions, with far less depth than those seen in Europe.

Look around you. Look at the Royal Family, Parliament, Our Politcal Parties... even our post boxes... They are wonderfully British. American society is so fractured and divided, iti s very difficult to appeal to anything beyond constitutional values which can unify people in quite the same way as the cup of tea can in Britain.
Reply 77
Beekeeper
Lets not pretend George Bush is the only bad President the Americans have ever elected, they are almost as bad as us when it comes to picking leaders. Pretty much since George Washington, U.S. Presidents have gradually deteriorated to the excrement we have today, and they'll probably get even worse.

I'd say 60% is quite kind of you. I'd put the impact of the American Government's operations over time at about 85%.
Very rarely do you see someone burning a baseball cap or an American supermarket down, as irritating as they may be.

That's true, American politics, or lack thereof, has certainly been a discussion point for years.
I think the flag-burning thing might just be because it's illegal and controversial. Don't see many people burning British flags much.
Reply 78
Can someone PLEASE tell me the relevance of how old a civilisation is??
Lawz-
Can someone PLEASE tell me the relevance of how old a civilisation is??

It's very relevent to someone who is an old fashioned Conservative, who believes in the value of history, culture and tradtion.

If something has existed for a long time there is probably a good reason for it and in cultural terms you can't invent a culture it's just not possible!

Latest

Trending

Trending