The Student Room Group

The most significant person in history?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Me? Obviously ;D
Reply 61
Darwin and Newton :smile: (hard to pick just a few!)

Although religious figures such as Jesus have also had an enormous influence on many people...
Reply 62
Original post by JuliaABlu
Darwin and Newton :smile: (hard to pick just a few!)

Although religious figures such as Jesus have also had an enormous influence on many people...

Darwin? In what way is Darwin the most significant person in history? He's not even close.
Reply 63
Original post by Doppel
Darwin? In what way is Darwin the most significant person in history? He's not even close.

As I said it's hard to pick just a few people or to compare them, since a lot were significant.

Darwin because I think the theory of evolution was and is very significant (although so are a lot of other things).
Reply 64
As I said it's hard to pick just a few people or to compare them, since a lot were significant.

Darwin because I think the theory of evolution was and is very significant (although so are a lot of other things).

Sure, the theory of evolution is important, but Darwin isn't as important as the theory itself. Let's not forget that Alfred Wallace came up with the exact same theory a bit later than Darwin. In fact, his letter to Darwin was what prompted Darwin to publish his findings.

What I mean by this is that even if Darwin had not existed, we would most likely still have the theory of evolution.
Reply 65
Paul
Reply 66
Original post by Doppel
Sure, the theory of evolution is important, but Darwin isn't as important as the theory itself. Let's not forget that Alfred Wallace came up with the exact same theory a bit later than Darwin. In fact, his letter to Darwin was what prompted Darwin to publish his findings.

What I mean by this is that even if Darwin had not existed, we would most likely still have the theory of evolution.

Oh yes there were other people also who were coming up with similar ideas even before and during the time Darwin published the Origin of Species. But generally the theory is accredited to him as he was the first published the theory in a very coherent book.
Perhaps someone else would have written a similar book even if Darwin didn't. Though in a similar way you could argue that even if 'X' didn't exist, someone else would have sooner or later come up with his theories, which misses the point that 'X' did come up with the theory.

I thought generally by 'most significant person in history' we would mean the accomplishments of that person?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by SEHughes
Paul

Paul the milkman? more specifically? :tongue:
The first ever homo sapien. He/she started it all...
Reply 69
Oh yes there were other people also who were coming up with similar ideas even before and during the time Darwin published the Origin of Species. But generally the theory is accredited to him as he was the first published the theory in a very coherent book.
Perhaps someone else would have written a similar book even if Darwin didn't. Though in a similar way you could argue that even if 'X' didn't exist, someone else would have sooner or later come up with his theories, which misses the point that 'X' did come up with the theory.

I thought generally by 'most significant person in history' we would mean the accomplishments of that person?

That's not at all the same thing. The theory of natural selection/evolution is accredited to both him and Wallace and is in fact formally known as the Darwin-Wallace Theory of Natural Selection. It's completely different to claim that Newton was insignificant as someone else might have come up with the same theories. This is mere speculation whereas the Darwin-Wallace discussion is fact. A similar example concerning Newton is saying that historically speaking, it is not that important that Newton came up with calculus as Leibniz did the same thing at around the same time period (there was even an argument between them as to who came up with it first).
(edited 11 years ago)
Paul the milkman? more specifically? :tongue:

He obviously means St Paul, who arguably did more to spread Christianity than any other person, including Jesus Himself. St Paul spread Christianity throughout the Roman Empire, and without him, it would possibly have remained a tiny Jewish sect. Though as a Christian, I believe that through the holy spirit it would have spread massively regardless :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by Doppel
That's not at all the same thing. The theory of natural selection/evolution is accredited to both him and Wallace and is in fact formally known as the Darwin-Wallace Theory of Natural Selection. It's completely different to claim that Newton was insignificant as someone else might have come up with the same theories. This is mere speculation whereas the Darwin-Wallace discussion is fact. A similar example concerning Newton is saying that historically speaking, it is not that important that Newton came up with calculus as Leibniz did the same thing at around the same time period (there was even an argument between them as to who came up with it first).

Then perhaps I should have said Darwin and Wallace. Although the theory is most widely associated with Darwin, Wallace then seems underrated and should perhaps be given more credit but that's another debate.
I originally meant the theory of evolution is very significant and I attached Darwin to it (sorry Wallace) but I still think he was very influential even if it is because of his (joint) theory.
Reply 72
Original post by Super Cicero
He obviously means St Paul, who arguably did more to spread Christianity than any other person, including Jesus Himself. St Paul spread Christianity throughout the Roman Empire, and without him, it would possibly have remained a tiny Jewish sect. Though as a Christian, I believe that through the holy spirit it would have spread massively regardless :smile:

haha I guessed that :wink:
Reply 73
Karl Marx
Original post by Super Cicero
Peter Zezima

Reply 75
Then perhaps I should have said Darwin and Wallace. Although the theory is most widely associated with Darwin, Wallace then seems underrated and should perhaps be given more credit but that's another debate.
I originally meant the theory of evolution is very significant and I attached Darwin to it (sorry Wallace) but I still think he was very influential even if it is because of his (joint) theory.

Fair enough. For some reason, I assumed that you knew about Wallace and was curious as to why you felt that Darwin was more important. I apologise.
Reply 76
I only knew about other people having similar thoughts to Darwin, I didn't know their names exactly or just how much they contributed to the theory. I will definitely research it further, thanks. :smile: I should be the one apologising for not knowing enough! :tongue:
Original post by Miracle Day

I've seen that before, but oh... why did you have to post that?! Now I'm inevitably going to go into a Runescape-nostalgia state of mind for the next hour or so, reminiscing about the "Good old days" and wishing I could go back to 5 years ago playing with all my great friends on it, before they all quit and the game went ****... :cry:
there's no answer to this.
Reply 79
Y-chromosomal Adam and Mitochondrial Eve. Simple as that.

From the Wikipedia:

"In human genetics, Y-chromosomal Adam (Y-MRCA) is the most recent common ancestor (MRCA) from whom all living people are descended patrilineally (tracing back only along the paternal lines of their family tree). Recent studies report that Y-chromosomal Adam lived as early as around 142,000 years ago.[1] Older studies estimated Y-MRCA as recent as 60,000 years ago.[2] All living humans are also descended matrilineally from Mitochondrial Eve who is thought to have lived earlier, about 190,000–200,000 years ago. Y-chromosomal Adam and Mitochondrial Eve need not have lived at the same time."

Quick Reply