Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

wht the xgod 360 is a god watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    lol when was that ever the case?? The advantage is price. The first Blu Ray player will cost double and won't support 1080p, and the films cost a bit more too
    lol, sounds almost like the old betamax vs VHS thang, the one that the consumers go for will win over all, and it'll always be the cheaper of the 2

ReputationRep:
    yeah until recently I thought Blu Ray would win for sure, but the fact that HD DVD players will be half the price (at least until PS3) is a big factor. TBH I think DVD will still be the main player for at least 3 years, and in 5 years or so most of us will be downloading/ streaming films and stuff. I'd rather pay 10 quid and download a HD film I can play on my PC than buy a new device and have to get discs for it.

ReputationRep:
    The PS3 have BluRay from the box will be an unimaginably huge swing for Blu-Ray in the format wars though. But I agree that DVD will be dominant for a while... at least 2 years.

There were 2 HDDVD films available at launch (others were delayed afaiak).

Oh, and I'd be prepared to get that Europe (esp Britain) gets a higher price point than the rest of the world. We did with regard to the 360...

ReputationRep:
    The 360 costs $399 in the US and £279 in the UK. Factor in higher taxes (and the fact that US rrp does not include an average of 6-8% tax) and we hardly have a higher price point.

ReputationRep:
    considering about 3 million bluray players will be in every home by the end of this fiscal year leads me to think that this 'cheap priced' hd-dvd in stores today with only 4 movies wont be the advantage toshiba was hoping for...PLUS, the $1000 bluray players being talked about are the high end ones, they will be cheaper prices anounced soon. whatch this space

ReputationRep:
    The $1000 blu ray players are the cheapest. The high end ones are $1800. The lack of titles is not HD DVD specific, there are very few BR titles coming out at launch either. If you compare the titles that will be available for each by about June, you will see that both have a mixture of good and bad. I mean some of the first BR films are Hitch and 50 First Dates, yeah those are the movies I always wanted to see in high definition... price and availability will be the main factors but like I say, the most exciting format is downloading to hard drive. For the same price as a Blu Ray player I could buy a couple terrabytes of hard disk space.

ReputationRep:
    yes ,price and availability are definitley factors and we can safely say blu ray players will be available in their millions by the end of this year sitting in peoples homes and for only a maximum of £300....PLUS they get the most power gaming console with a free harddrive and free online play to go with the next gen HD movie player. even yu can say thats a fair deal. and its not that difficult for sony to get ther best movies out on BR, they did the same for the PSP umd format when they saw it gaining in sales.

ReputationRep:
    And now look at whats happened to UMD movie sales... Blue-Ray is a big risk for Sony, but it should be much more of a success than UMD turned out to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghetto_faboulus)
    yes ,price and availability are definitley factors and we can safely say blu ray players will be available in their millions by the end of this year sitting in peoples homes and for only a maximum of £300....PLUS they get the most power gaming console with a free harddrive and free online play to go with the next gen HD movie player. even yu can say thats a fair deal. and its not that difficult for sony to get ther best movies out on BR, they did the same for the PSP umd format when they saw it gaining in sales.
    I think that depends how you define 'free'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakebobby)
    I think that depends how you define 'free'
    well...the hard drive and online is 'free' comapred to xbox live and ther 'core' and 'supreme/superior/platinum what ever its called' package

ReputationRep:
    The hard drive package will cost significantly more than the standard 360 package (which has a hard drive) - the core is a cheap version of the 360, which only tards buy (unless they are rich and need one immediately - though I guess that makes them rich tards). By the time PS3 launches, the core will probably offer consumers a cheap next gen console at about half the price of a PS3 - but the real gamers will be choosing between the normal 360 and PS3 which both have hard drives - or those rich ones will be getting both anyways right?

ReputationRep:
    The hard drive package will cost significantly more than the standard 360 package (which has a hard drive) - the core is a cheap version of the 360, which only tards buy (unless they are rich and need one immediately - though I guess that makes them rich tards). By the time PS3 launches, the core will probably offer consumers a cheap next gen console at about half the price of a PS3 - but the real gamers will be choosing between the normal 360 and PS3 which both have hard drives - or those rich ones will be getting both anyways right?
    because yu cheesecakebobby sooo totally know the ps3 price right?....wait, let me guess....the 'analysts' say the ps3 will be expensive? give me a break. The ps2 was said to cost approx $500 and the same goes for the PSP,look how they turned out. Dont get me wrong, the ps3 will be more expensive than the 360, but not more than a $100 gap. chances are the ps3 will be $400 /£270-80
    and you will be getting more value for money for getting the ps3 than when the 360 first came out..you should know this..

ReputationRep:
    Well unless Ken Kutargi is a liar, "it will be expensive". Though of course, everything he has said in the past has been so truthful, eh?

If it costs £270-280 I will buy you one myself dude.

ReputationRep:
    Well unless Ken Kutargi is a liar, "it will be expensive". Though of course, everything he has said in the past has been so truthful, eh?

If it costs £270-280 I will buy you one myself dude.
    ill hold you to that..^_^

ReputationRep:
    Can you buy me one as well ?

ReputationRep:
    Cheeky. You can have a Gizmondo.

ReputationRep:
    Cheeky. You can have a Gizmondo.
    That thing is still around :eek: . I remember when I first saw their website before launch and they had like 2 confirmed games for the thing :rofl: .

ReputationRep:
    another british attept at hardware gaming....flopped :-(

ReputationRep:
    You guys don't know the hilarious stories? It involves fraud, embezzlement, underhand dealings and a crashed Ferrari Enzo being driven by an imaginary man called Dietrich! I hope they make a book about it...

ReputationRep:
    oh my god.LOL tell me more!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 21, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.