Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The good thing about brookes is that a lot of the arts and humanities dept. scored highly in its recent assessment activities (5 or above out of 5* for research, over 20 out of 24 for its teaching quality) and it often shines through in the course.
    I was really impressed by the glowing reports of Brookes' teaching standards. I can't wait to be there to experience them ! ^-^

That's pretty amazing

...and wierdly enough i had a letter two days ago asking if id like to come back and do a masters in english and have my fees paid for me -the perks of being a brookes grad!
    Wow! That's fantastic, and really nice of them! Would you take them up on that or have you already gone in another direction?

ReputationRep:
    After brookes i went to exeter and studied 2 masters, a pgce, an eucert (though that doesnt really count) and now a phd. I study full time and work part time as a research assistant, lecturing occasionally and generally helping out and attending seminars in the evening, writing journal articles and conference papers etc - i dont have time to do a 3rd masters im afraid!!! if they offered me this when i first graduated i would have jumped at the opportunity without a doubt!! I think it was an initiative aimed at supporting the alumni and raising awareness of brookes as well as money perhaps from donations.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you've definitely been buy! ^-^ Seriously though, it sounds like you've achived a lot since Brookes.

Kumiko-sensei mentioned that a Japanese masters programme has either been started or is in the works now. So if that's available to me and I've enjoyed the Japanese part of my course at Brookes, I think that might be an interesting option.

ReputationRep:
    Ohh first post :wavey:

Umm i screwed up all my UCAS stuff (dont ask, i blame my tutor :p: )

So am hoping to get a place through clearing to brookes I seriously doubt I will but its worth a try :cool:

ReputationRep:
    i got a place through clearing. i study at exeter now though - i see you are located there at the moment - cool place

ReputationRep:
    FINALLY GOT MY UNCONDITIONAL OFFER A FEW WEEKS AGO. so now i can certainly say that im comin 2 brookes. :P:P see u there m8s nd have an awsome summer ! SUMMER keep it comming !!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chuviboy)
    FINALLY GOT MY UNCONDITIONAL OFFER A FEW WEEKS AGO. so now i can certainly say that im comin 2 brookes. :P:P see u there m8s nd have an awsome summer ! SUMMER keep it comming !!!!
    what u going to be studying? well done

ReputationRep:
    Hi....How r u all?.....
    Finally I made it!!!!!!the UC!!!!!!
    MA International Architectural regeneration

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurah)
    what u going to be studying? well done
    Business and Management

ReputationRep:
    if i get in i'm taking real estate management. if not i'm a bit screwed because it's my lowest offer, and the only when i bothered t ochange as i was originally going to take a gap year!

ReputationRep:
    Im going to Brookes studying law, but i just want to know .... how good is freshers week?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ross_j)
    if i get in i'm taking real estate management. if not i'm a bit screwed because it's my lowest offer, and the only when i bothered t ochange as i was originally going to take a gap year!
    Out of interest, what do you hope to do with this degree and where else did you apply?

(I have valid reasons for asking, more than likely going to apply for this course next year...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady_Muck)
    Out of interest, what do you hope to do with this degree and where else did you apply?

(I have valid reasons for asking, more than likely going to apply for this course next year...)
    well i originally applied for 6 business mangagement courses - at king's, birmingham, leeds, queen mary, brookes and manchester.

then i found out about real estate management at the same time as finding out the king's business school campus was in kent (don't know why i didn't want to live there, i just didn't!). so i swapped that business management course with real estate management at brookes.

then went down to oxford to have a look around brookes at it was nice and had a really relaxed atmosphere, which i liked a lot. also the area is lovely, very picturesque and middle class.

onto the course - basically it's a RICS (royal institute of chartered surveyors) approved course. this exempts you from the written exams to become a chartered surveyor. the usual procedure to become a chartered surveyor is in 2 parts, there's the written exam and an interview after 2 years of working in the industry as a surveyor (the only part you have to do if you graduate from this course is the interview). so my plan is having qualified 2 years after uni as a chartered surveyor (where there's more money to be made than unqualified) i'll start to build up a good rep for myself and maybe another 2 or 3 years down the line i'll be able to move into commercial propery development, or commercial investment consultancy.

hope that helped and if you want to know anythign else don't hesitate to ask.

ReputationRep:
    and of course the fact there are some decent shops AND bicester village near by did no harm to my desire to go there also the fact that i can get back up to london (where i live) in just an hour or so was very appealing.

ReputationRep:
    No, that's absolutely fab!

I want to get into Property Consultancy/Development sort of thing, so think that doing a degree like that would be the best way forward for me. I really wish I'd applied this year for deferred entry, but I didn't....Although Iit's not the most academic degree, if it ultimately leads to something that you want to do, I'm game. I love Oxford itself, my brother was at the uni there (although it was Oxford and not Brookes!) and was living in Headington, so I've seen Brookes/area/city quite a lot. I did apply originally, then I freaked out and thought I should do a more academic degree somewhere more academic, then I thought....No...Do something you enjoy which'll lead to something you enjoy! Too late now, I'm so happy with my Gap year plans, just hope so much I get in for '07 as I've realised it's what I want to do with my life. Grrr.

Oh well, here's hoping for 2007!

Sorry - when did you transfer? I tried to get on for this year, but they said nooo!

ReputationRep:
    check your private messages.

ReputationRep:
    ohh forgot to say it is quite an academic course. it's the most valued course for commercial property employees. i was working at the biggest consultancy company in the country last summer and they're the ones that actually recommended i took this course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benji88)
    Im going to Brookes studying law, but i just want to know .... how good is freshers week?
    The best! (well, better than exeter by miles...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boosh)
    The best! (well, better than exeter by miles...)
    lol Boosh i love how you're so un-biased on absolutely everything to do with Brookes..

...and he makes us want to go there even more with every post!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 14, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.