Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Which car should I get??? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    A Golf. It's simply a great car, although slightly too bulky to ensure good fuel economy and swiftness.

ReputationRep:
    curly ben i want a landrover because a)looks pritty b) i can bully my way on the roads c) i like the idea of being higher up d) spacious e) i want a range rover but will settle for second best lol
    Wow, quite possibly the worst reasons i've ever seen

When I see Land Rovers on urban roads, I think "what a prat." My friends and family also think "what a prat."
    So does everyone else, about every 4x4

don't get a 4 x 4 unless you need one

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, what would you count as needing one? Should people who need one not be allowed to drive on urban roads? I agree there are a lot of people with 4x4s who don't need them (and I consider cars such as the X3, X5 and Cayenne to be almost pointless, they may be capable off road but they aren't designed for it) but there's a lot of people who are very quick to judge.

ReputationRep:
    what would you count as needing one?
    Living in a rural area or going into rural areas regularly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    I thought you'd decided against that thing! Doesn't match your MX5 :p:
    Ha ha, nice try, that's YOUR bad boy!

ReputationRep:
    You wish

OMGWTF I'd disagree with your defintion of need.. but I'm off to Minorca in a few hours so I'm not going to get into a big debate!

ReputationRep:
    It was a crap definition. tbh honest any need is genuine compared to school run mum's who feel safe in a car 3 times the size of everything that they can't park. Wonder if they'd think its so safe when the completely destroy everyone in another car, if there was a collision

ReputationRep:
    If you saw Fifth Gear this week then you wouldn't think 4x4s are generically safe! Granted, they were testing (what looked like) an ancient Discovery against a Renault Espace, and the Espace destroyed the Discovery - the driver dummy in the Discovery probably broke both his legs.

After seeing that, I'll only buy an NCAP 5* car...

ReputationRep:
    Watche 5th gear last night. They collided an older Disco with a new Renault (I think? It was the new people carrier that has the best crash ratings EVER) at 40mph each. The Disco got its ass beat. The dummy would've had it's legs broken as its knees were in the dash. However, a direct comparison was not possible as the Disco's air bag didn't deploy. The Renault's dummy could've walked away from the collision, had it been a real person.

But it's not like the people carrier was that much smaller than the Disco, though it may have gotten slightly better mileage.

ReputationRep:
    That was nothing new, Top Gear did somthing similar ten years ago which basicaly said you would be much better of in a Mondeo than a 4w4 in a crash, it is all do with the crumple zones and point of impact.

I think the basic physics behind it is that a crash generates energy called g-force, if the car body is built like a truck nothing can absorb the impact but the human body, if the body crumples up then much of the energy will have been absorbed before it gets to the humans.

ReputationRep:

Great timing! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Who thought the Forester STi was cooler than the WRX STi? I did.

Though I did like the cool feature on the WRX that allows you to manuall choose how much the centre diff splits the power to the front and rear wheels, basically allowing you to have a fully RWD WRX if you want. That was cool.

ReputationRep:
    LOL OMG such jinx!

I actually liked the Impreza better - looks good with the Seat style front - never been a fan of Subaru cars before, but the new one really looks good.

ReputationRep:
    I don't watch 5th gear,I have no idea why. However, it has always interested me when people say "a 5* renault into a wall might be safer than a 3* 4x4 but put them head on I know which one I want to be in". However, you're saying the program showed that to be a paradox, wahoo!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 18, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.