Smoking and Gambling, why is it still legal? Watch

yeahman1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Konnichiwa)
Law is supposed to protect us, not turn a blind eye and allow us to commit acts that would destroy our livelihoods.
In my opinion the law should be there to protect our rights and freedoms from other people. The laws you suggest are contrary to our rights and freedoms.
DankJ
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Prohibition does not work. Tax income from cigarettes is pretty big. And in my personal opinion it is not the responsibilty of the government to tell me what I can or can not do as long as I am not hurting anyone else.
justanotherposter
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Baybars)
People smoke because they're weak and needs stimulants to relieve pressure and stress. The government should continue to help people who need nicotine to such an extent they self harm after all they help people who self harm in other ways.
They do, there are phonelines to call, schemes set up to help you quit. However again people have the right to ignore this help and continue smoking.
clikesdesifems
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I for one at the least don't value illiberal policies.

Smoking and gambling hurt nobody.

If one cites social harm, then ban fatty foods.
bustabust
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Baybars)
People smoke because they're weak and needs stimulants to relieve pressure and stress. The government should continue to help people who need nicotine to such an extent they self harm after all they help people who self harm in other ways.
it's self harm if you ignore the fact people enjoy it.

the trade off is their decision
CEKTOP
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Konnichiwa)
Law is supposed to protect us, not turn a blind eye and allow us to commit acts that would destroy our livelihoods.

Smoking harms our health, puts pressure on the NHS and lungs that could have went to someone else went to a smoker (I'm not saying smokers don't deserve health treatment). But, thing is, if smoking was illegal, NHS can invest more into current patients giving them a better standard of living and making organs more widely available.

This is a similar case with alcohol. Restrictions should be added to alcohol.

Smoking causes serious addiction and hinders our lives, wastes our time, and destroys others around us. It brings NO benefit.

Smoking addiction is a serious problem and harder than you think to conquer (if you are not a smoker).

Taxes? Does it help the economy? Gives the government more taxes?
Well... If you think about it, people with smoke addiction will lose out, they will lose a lot of money, waste their time travelling to a shop and smoking. Wasted work-force producing cigarettes when they could be manufacturing something more useful such as bandages or medicine.

Why is it still legal? Why is society wrong?

Gambling, why not make gambling illegal? Well, gambling is a insignificant thing compared to smoking, yet it is still something big.

So, why is this world so corrupt?

Edit: It also affects other people via passive smoking, it really should be banned. It will help protect smokers from continuing to smoke.
I travel back in time to the year of our Lord 1919. The 18th Amendment is implemented, the Volstead Act makes it enforceable and alcohol consumption across the US is illegal. What follows is a complete and utter disaster with gangs sprawling up at every corner and other fun things such as hazardous moonshine etc.

What I'm trying to say is that you cannot restrict something as basic as smoking and not risk lessening the overall respect for the law. People will always find a way - just look at the drug industry which is immensely huge and operates in spite the law.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.9%

Watched Threads