ella.bella
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hiya guys,

I've got a place too! I'm doing the 5-11 primary course. Jodie I think I was in your group, so glad to hear you're in too! I hope the other girls in our group got in, they were great.

Does anyone understand the whole bursary application thing? The Direct.gov site makes it sound like we get the bursaries through uni, but I can't work out how! Just got money and accommodation to sort now.

Ella
taylorj88
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
[QUOTE=ella.bella;42791148]Hiya guys,

I've got a place too! I'm doing the 5-11 primary course. Jodie I think I was in your group, so glad to hear you're in too! I hope the other girls in our group got in, they were great.

Hey Ella! Yeah I saw an earlier post from you and wondered if it was you! Congratulations! I'd love to hear if the others made it in too- think we had a great group!
dont know anything about bursaries etc... Having enough trouble understanding how to get loans. Also on the hunt for somewhere to live... No idea where to start! You got any ideas? Good areas etc...?

Looking forward to seeing you in September.
J x
JWright23
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I emailed the uni about the bursary and they said once we have applied for our loans the uni will contact us before the start of the course asking if we want to apply for the bursary. My loan has been approved and everything, so just waiting to hear from the uni now.
ella.bella
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That's good the bursary comes later, hopefully they'll let us know about that soon then.

As for accommodation, I lived in Bath before and found a nice room in a great shared house through Gumtree, but most of the places don't seem to come up until a month or so before they're available. Another way to do it is if some of us want to live together we can just find a house to live in?

I lived in Weston before, which is on the bus route to uni but also just a 15 minute walk to Bath city centre and 2 minutes to Victoria Park. Oldfield Park is cheaper and popular with undergrad students, but not as nice. There are places closer to town that aren't too expensive too.
Smellslikepie
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Might be good if we get a list of people on here who are going to be looking for accommodation! I'm a maybe

Posted from TSR Mobile
taylorj88
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey yeah, thats a good idea.
Im interested in sharing.. but i think a smaller group is better. I had orginally wanted my own place- experiences with 6 painfully messy housemates when doing my degree. haha.. Im guessing people are more responsible now. God! I sound like my mother! So im interested in sharing too - my only problem is that ill still be in Thailand until the end fo August, so i wouldnt actually be able to physically go and check anywhere out until then. I was thinking of looking as soon as i got back. Do you think it's too late??

Maybe 3 or 4 of us could arrange to meet up towards the end of August or at some point in the week before the course starts and go looking around?
Anybody get their loans approved? Any idea how long that takes?
Thanks xx
Alun-R
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have been checking the uni's accommodation listings on their student hub, quite a few places on there but most are rent as a whole property frustratingly. Would be interested in joining up to get a place if anyone else is interested?
Smellslikepie
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The problem with the accommodation that the uni lists is that they're all furnished, aren't they? I'll be moving from an unfurnished flat so have all my own furniture that I'll need to take, which could cause a few problems.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ella.bella
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I agree with Jodie, I'd probably like to just share with a couple of others as I hate too much mess too! Hmm not sure how to go about it, I was thinking I might move down a few weeks before term starts as I might have to go into my work in Bath to hand over to my replacement before I leave...
Alun-R
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ok the forum is being a bit odd tonight and not letting me reply directly. In regards to the furnished/unfurnished thing, that's completely understandable. I'm in the opposite boat really in that I'm currently in a furnished place and so only have a few pieces of furniture, which I'm either selling or storing at my mum's. Given the fact that we can't know for sure where our placements will be, I want to try and stay as light as I can for the next year, but then I'm in a position where I can do that. If you have a whole room or even a whole flat full of your own furniture then it's a different story. Not really sure what to suggest I'm afraid.

I'm currently arranging to view places for myself this weekend coming and every single landlord/landlady has asked if I am part of a group of people, even when their postings didn't specifiy it. So it seems pretty much everywhere is going to be a group thing. So if anyone is interested in banding together to get a place, send me a message or something (smoke signals probably won't work though). I appreciate that this weekend is short notice though so I can hold off making any more bookings than I already have and wait until everyone else is free (though the longer it's left the less places there will be, places have been being snapped up since January).
Smellslikepie
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Alun-R)
Ok the forum is being a bit odd tonight and not letting me reply directly. In regards to the furnished/unfurnished thing, that's completely understandable. I'm in the opposite boat really in that I'm currently in a furnished place and so only have a few pieces of furniture, which I'm either selling or storing at my mum's. Given the fact that we can't know for sure where our placements will be, I want to try and stay as light as I can for the next year, but then I'm in a position where I can do that. If you have a whole room or even a whole flat full of your own furniture then it's a different story. Not really sure what to suggest I'm afraid.

I'm currently arranging to view places for myself this weekend coming and every single landlord/landlady has asked if I am part of a group of people, even when their postings didn't specifiy it. So it seems pretty much everywhere is going to be a group thing. So if anyone is interested in banding together to get a place, send me a message or something (smoke signals probably won't work though). I appreciate that this weekend is short notice though so I can hold off making any more bookings than I already have and wait until everyone else is free (though the longer it's left the less places there will be, places have been being snapped up since January).
Where are you viewing? I now definitely need to find accommodation for the PGCE year so would you mind if I pop along too?
Alun-R
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey, A couple of places on Saturday morning so far, still trying to arrange others. Definitely ok for you to come along. PM me for more details and we can swap numbers.
Alun-R
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi guys,

Smellslikepie and I have secured a five bed place in Bath for September and are looking for three other PGCE or postgrad students for the other rooms. The house is located in Oldfields, Bath. Rent will be about £340 ppm excluding bills. If you're interested, please PM me for my contact details and I can put you in touch with the landlady.

Smellslikepie seems like a pretty decent guy and I can confirm that he does not, in fact, smell like pie. Hopefully he'd say the same about me, but if you'd like to get to know either us more before asking to view the place then please just PM one of us.

Thanks,

Al
Smellslikepie
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Alun-R)
Hi guys,

Smellslikepie and I have secured a five bed place in Bath for September and are looking for three other PGCE or postgrad students for the other rooms. The house is located in Oldfields, Bath. Rent will be about £340 ppm excluding bills. If you're interested, please PM me for my contact details and I can put you in touch with the landlady.

Smellslikepie seems like a pretty decent guy and I can confirm that he does not, in fact, smell like pie. Hopefully he'd say the same about me, but if you'd like to get to know either us more before asking to view the place then please just PM one of us.

Thanks,

Al
I can indeed confirm that Alun also doesn't smell of pie.

The place is nice and is in a central location for students. Town isn't too far too walk and Moorland Road has all the local amenities that you'll need day to day. I'm going to contact the Landlady (who is actually a very nice woman) and will try to arrange to get pictures so you can see it if you're not able to make it to Bath any time soon.

As a little incentive, regarding bills, during the year doing the PGCE you won't have to pay for phone line and internet. I've got a contract which gives me that for free for the next year!
ib537
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi :-) first message on here. I just wanted to throw my name in for housing as well! I'm starting the primary and early years course in September, very excited! I'm around for viewings from July 1st.
hansam38
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi All

The Bath Spa website finally has some more information up on it!

Also, shall we have a get together when people get here, before the start of the course? It would be good to know some people before arriving on campus!!
Smellslikepie
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by hansam38)
Hi All

The Bath Spa website finally has some more information up on it!

Also, shall we have a get together when people get here, before the start of the course? It would be good to know some people before arriving on campus!!
I'm definitely up for this
Alun-R
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sounds like a good idea
JWright23
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sounds like a great idea! Haven't had a chance to check the information yet as the other half has taken the laptop on a trip, is there a lot?
Alun-R
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
From what I've read so far we have a few maths and English assignments to do, including something on our favourite text as a child, reading ks1 & 2 books and taking SATs tests as an audit. Am trying to remember what I read at that age that I loved, nothing really sticks out until I hit 11 and they're novels.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (150)
59.52%
No I haven't decided yet (57)
22.62%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.86%

Watched Threads