Report 6 years ago
Canary Wharf estate. Very safe
SnoochToTheBooch
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SoNottingH)
Lol. The Bank of England is definitely much safer, down in the vaults with the gold bullion.
fewer tourists too I imagine
SoNottingH
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by effofex)
Canary Wharf estate. Very safe
Apart from the odd Russian contract killing.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-attempt.html
The Assassin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Richmond / Chelsea
acedlol
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Primrose Hill.
Captain Haddock
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by gossipgirl1)
chiswick, ealing, richmond

I live in ealing and I love it.
Until you go to places like Acton or Hanwell Broadway or the area around the Lido/West Ealing in general. When I was working in West Ealing there was a bank robbery, a stabbing and a shooting in the space of like 2 weeks or something. Though I agree it's generally pretty safe, especially in the centre and areas like Pitshanger.
gossipgirl1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Captain Haddock)
Until you go to places like Acton or Hanwell Broadway or the area around the Lido/West Ealing in general. When I was working in West Ealing there was a bank robbery, a stabbing and a shooting in the space of like 2 weeks or something. Though I agree it's generally pretty safe, especially in the centre and areas like Pitshanger.
Yeah I actually live in Pitshanger, Acton is horrid - I think
i.am.lost
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jojo1995)
lol - How awkward, did she find you in the end? .... she must have been a right crazy one
Yes, it's very awkward and she still pursues/harasses me four years later...
alis-volatpropriis
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Wouldn't bother staying in London if I won the lottery, I'd move to another country.
SoNottingH
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by alis-volatpropriis)
Wouldn't bother staying in London if I won the lottery, I'd move to another country.
Yes, because it's so awful and the whole world hates it, that's why nobody at all wants to live in it, lol.
shmuxel
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd live in Highgate
Millie228
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SoNottingH)
Most central areas of London have some mixed bits, where poor areas jostle very close-up indeed with very rich areas. Places like Belgravia are a bit of an exception because they are largeish neighbourhoods with almost all wealthy residents. I wouldn't touch Belgravia unless I was quite old, super-rich and Russian though. Notting Hill is mainly safe in the nice parts but like anywhere, there are sometimes odd things that happen on the streets and we had our share of fun during the riots. It's also another basically boring upper-middle/wealthy area that most younger people with money would tend to avoid unless they are already married with kids and a city trader or something of that kind, or brought up there.
Yeah I pointed it out because Notting Hill is a lot more mixed than other areas. Portland Road has been mentioned in the media before as houses cost 6m in one end of it and 200K in the other. I also know a couple of people who live there and say that you can stay "there, but not there" etc. You need to get really, really into before you know where you want to live.
As long as you stay within SW3 in Chelsea, you cannot really go wrong. The only place I can think of which is not as 'posh' is the building on Sloane Avenue which used to be a council house, there is a petrol station right next to it. Still, flats are 300 a week and quite nice, and it is only one street.
There aren't really any 'shady' places in Chelsea, South Ken or Belgravia. Of course it will be cheaper if the place has a lot of traffic or whatever, but it still won't be worn down.
I probably wouldn't live in Notting Hill, as it's a bit too 'old' as you say, and quiet. I'd be fine in Belgravia though, it's really just a stroll from Sloane Square and a quick way up to Knightsbridge. I don't really consider it a very different area from Chelsea.
SoNottingH
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Millie228)
As long as you stay within SW3 in Chelsea, you cannot really go wrong. The only place I can think of which is not as 'posh' is the building on Sloane Avenue which used to be a council house, there is a petrol station right next to it. Still, flats are 300 a week and quite nice, and it is only one street.
There aren't really any 'shady' places in Chelsea, South Ken or Belgravia. Of course it will be cheaper if the place has a lot of traffic or whatever, but it still won't be worn down.
I probably wouldn't live in Notting Hill, as it's a bit too 'old' as you say, and quiet. I'd be fine in Belgravia though, it's really just a stroll from Sloane Square and a quick way up to Knightsbridge. I don't really consider it a very different area from Chelsea.
It's so much down to the size of our theoretical lottery win(!) and it also just depends what kind of life you lead, what sort of things you enjoy, etc. Is there much nice property of any size in Belgravia or near Sloane Sq or in the Onslow Sq area that is less than £10m+? So you would need a really big win for anything decent in those areas. Also if you were a young winner, like a student, you would probably want to live somewhere with more life and fun, like the nicer bits of Hackney, Hoxton or Camden/Islington or somewhere like Fulham, more than the middle-aged or foreign rich areas you mention.
jojo1995
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by i.am.lost)
Yes, it's very awkward and she still pursues/harasses me four years later...
LOL, someone's special
Keynesian
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Harry Callahan)
LOL, you're deliberately naming rough places as that's the opposite of the question and it's really funny. LOL.
I know right!
tinkertailor
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Belmarsh prison.
Kutta
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Peckham or as the say PeckNam
alevar
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Since I've heard the probably the safest Boroughs (apart from those that would be in central London) might be Ealing,Richmond and Kingston..
What about the part within those boroughs that are more safe than others, in the same Borough?
For example in Ealing there's Greenford,Hanwell,Acton ecc...
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by alevar)
Since I've heard the probably the safest Boroughs (apart from those that would be in central London) might be Ealing,Richmond and Kingston..
What about the part within those boroughs that are more safe than others, in the same Borough?
For example in Ealing there's Greenford,Hanwell,Acton ecc...
What you are not thinking abut is how someone is living their life in these places. Someone who is only going out in the daytime is in a different position to someone going round the bars and clubs at night. Where someone is going out makes a difference. Few people get mugged in Waitrose car-park, fewer still leaving a livery company dinner. Someone who is being chauffeured around is really only at risk from intruders. Someone living in a flat in a very secure community in an otherwise dodgy part of London who only leaves it by car may be at less risk than a couple living without staff in a large house in a leafy suburb.
UCLEmily
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
What you are not thinking abut is how someone is living their life in these places. Someone who is only going out in the daytime is in a different position to someone going round the bars and clubs at night. Where someone is going out makes a difference. Few people get mugged in Waitrose car-park, fewer still leaving a livery company dinner. Someone who is being chauffeured around is really only at risk from intruders. Someone living in a flat in a very secure community in an otherwise dodgy part of London who only leaves it by car may be at less risk than a couple living without staff in a large house in a leafy suburb.
I suspect we should be approaching the thread from the student's eye view, this is to do with perceptions of walking around the streets and the fear of being mugged, etc.

Isn't it the case that the most dangerous part of London for being robbed in the street, attacked, etc, is the West End? Generally that seems to be a hotspot for crime.

I'm often out and about around Bloomsbury and in Marylebone and almost never see anything worrying there, but often so in places like Oxford St, Soho, Covent Garden, etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (142)
17.95%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
26.93%
Not great so far... (283)
35.78%
I want to drop out! (153)
19.34%

Watched Threads