Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is 26 years old too late to go to University? Will I still enjoy life? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiet _One86)
    Do a levels get looked at as mature students
    It depends how long ago you did them. Unis want to see evidence of recent successful study. If you've done A Levels in the past couple of years, then they may be accepted. More often, a uni will want a mature student who's been out of education for a while, to do an Access to Higher Education course instead. That has a more uni-like studying/teaching style and gives a better indicator of uni potential for mature students.

& how do they finance the price of courses - do we have any of the fees wavered!?
    Which particular fees?

If you do A Levels at a college, they're free if you're under 24 and don't already have a Level 3 (A Level equivalent) qualification. If you're 24 or over then each college can set its own fees but you can get the 24+ Advanced Learning Loan to help pay the fees. If you then go on to uni, that loan is wiped out when you graduate and you don't have to repay anything. You can use the 24+ loan to pay Access course fees in the same way.

No fees will be waived just because someone is a mature student.

(Original post by Klix88)
    It depends how long ago you did them. Unis want to see evidence of recent successful study. If you've done A Levels in the past couple of years, then they may be accepted. More often, a uni will want a mature student who's been out of education for a while, to do an Access to Higher Education course instead. That has a more uni-like studying/teaching style and gives a better indicator of uni potential for mature students.

Which particular fees?

If you do A Levels at a college, they're free if you're under 24 and don't already have a Level 3 (A Level equivalent) qualification. If you're 24 or over then each college can set its own fees but you can get the 24+ Advanced Learning Loan to help pay the fees. If you then go on to uni, that loan is wiped out when you graduate and you don't have to repay anything. You can use the 24+ loan to pay Access course fees in the same way.

No fees will be waived just because someone is a mature student.
    Good to know all the above -29! Over the age it would seem - 24+ plus loan it is then. I'll be looking at uni online shortly. Did uni for the first time back in 2005! Paid my student loan off and walked from it then. Not sure whether I just do college courses and see. Thanks for your input. V useful info.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiet _One86)
    Good to know all the above -29! Over the age it would seem - 24+ plus loan it is then. I'll be looking at uni online shortly. Did uni for the first time back in 2005! Paid my student loan off and walked from it then. Not sure whether I just do college courses and see. Thanks for your input. V useful info.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you've already been to uni, that will decrease the amount of Student Finance you're entitled to this time round, although that won't apply to formal teaching qualifications. You may need to look into that before making further plans - make sure that you're working towards the 'right' sort of uni degree. The fact that you've paid off your first student loan doesn't have any bearing on your remaining entitlement.

(Original post by Klix88)
    If you've already been to uni, that will decrease the amount of Student Finance you're entitled to this time round, although that won't apply to formal teaching qualifications. You may need to look into that before making further plans - make sure that you're working towards the 'right' sort of uni degree. The fact that you've paid off your first student loan doesn't have any bearing on your remaining entitlement.
    Good to know thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Any of the mature students on here going to Keele this year? I'm possibly looking for a housemate off campus because I'd like to bring my dog... I'm going to do the General Foundation Year with GeoSciences
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by ClaireFad)
    Any of the mature students on here going to Keele this year? I'm possibly looking for a housemate off campus because I'd like to bring my dog... I'm going to do the General Foundation Year with GeoSciences
    Hi,

This might help https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaSKeele/?fref=ts it's our Mature Students at Keele Facebook Group maybe put a message on there?

Jodie
    Student Services

ReputationRep:
    I am 28 studying in Forman Christian College Lahore Pakistan. I feel so stressed when ever there is a discussion in class about age or if it is not I am still afraid of going to class as what will happen if teacher would ask about age. But after reading some of articles I am little afraid in telling my age. By the way I was so much stressed out of this thing called age that I went into schizophrenia or delusion and few other things.. though I have managed to go to university and trying to overcome this InshahAllah

ReputationRep:
    it is never to late for uni
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aoun Mekaal Saad)
    I am 28 studying in Forman Christian College Lahore Pakistan. I feel so stressed when ever there is a discussion in class about age or if it is not I am still afraid of going to class as what will happen if teacher would ask about age. But after reading some of articles I am little afraid in telling my age. By the way I was so much stressed out of this thing called age that I went into schizophrenia or delusion and few other things.. though I have managed to go to university and trying to overcome this InshahAllah
    (Original post by ireti)
    it is never to late for uni
    The OP posted this in 2013... It was then revived again in 2016... Today is 2018.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhiteWalker)
    I don't know what I want to do with my life at the moment. I am 24 years old, but if I was to study for a foundation course or go onto an access course, I will be around 26 by the time I get onto a degree course. Is this too old for university?

Also, would something like English, Graphic Design or Journalism be a good degree to get? I am more of a creative person, so I was thinking of these degrees.

What are your thoughts?
    It never too old. Medical degrees take up to 5-6 years on average and you are 23/24 when you come out. It's your life and if this makes you happy go for it. I am sure you have an interest in one of the degrees and that's great.

Remember, you only live one. You would never want to have a regret later in life when you are dying saying i wish i had gone to uni, so do what you love.!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophia13)
    It never too old. Medical degrees take up to 5-6 years on average and you are 23/24 when you come out. It's your life and if this makes you happy go for it. I am sure you have an interest in one of the degrees and that's great.

Remember, you only live one. You would never want to have a regret later in life when you are dying saying i wish i had gone to uni, so do what you love.!
    He wrote this in 2013 (as I mentioned in the oost above yours)... He/she is probably a phD now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pmc:producer)
    He wrote this in 2013 (as I mentioned in the oost above yours)... He/she is probably a phD now.
    Lol. Thanks. I realized that after posting the post.

ReputationRep:
    Lol. Thanks. I realized that after posting the post.
    At least future mature students pondering the same Q will have your words of wisdom.

I wonder what happened to the OP.

ReputationRep:
    At least future mature students pondering the same Q will have your words of wisdom.

I wonder what happened to the OP.
    Thankyou! I also wonder what happened to the OP

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou! I also wonder what happened to the OP
    I checked his threads out... Because it's 2.30am and why not?

He was asking the same question in 2015... I guess he's not a phd afterall. That saddens me a little!

ReputationRep:
    I checked his threads out... Because it's 2.30am and why not?

He was asking the same question in 2015... I guess he's not a phd afterall. That saddens me a little!
    Ahh no. Oh well. Hope he's leading a content life.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I wasted my time at the age of 20 while i was studying at university I was just hanging out with my friends and just messing around but now at the age of 27 I feel I can still compensate the wasted timeWish you can do the same.

ReputationRep:
    I’ll be (just) 28 when I start my degree in September! Never too old to do something you love
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I'm in this boat right now. I'm 23 and am applying to university's. I am worried, I will be to old. I'm worried because I might have to stay on campus for a few semester if I go far away. I will be worried underaged students will be stealing my liquor or making a mess that I have to clean. I was thinking about getting a camper and living off campus in a camp ground, that way I wont be obligated to an apartment or stuck in a dorm. How do you older students do it? I don't have kids and am not married at the moment so I feel I won't be cramped in my own camper. and I'm thinking Florida would be easy to live my semesters in a camp ground.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jft2209)
    I’ll be (just) 28 when I start my degree in September! Never too old to do something you love
    I'll be 32! :-p My MIL did hers at 40-odd and is now thinking of doing her PhD! Age is just a number, and nobody said you have to do school-degree-job-marriage-house-kids in that order! Good luck everyone!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.