Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymous125)
    ok apparently im a troll now... hmm i wonder if people like you just need an excuse to say that?
    You made a thread a month ago about a girl who wouldn't respond to your texts. Now you want to convert and marry another girl.
    Either your a troll or you need professional help.

I'm 20. I'm a sikh. The girl i like/love is a muslim. Only solution for a future is to convert. But how do i go about telling this to my parents and family, for those of you who dont know the consequences can and will be absolutely huge! I have no idea how my parents and family would react but what if they kick me out the house and/or break my legs?!

For those of you who are doubting me, i like this girl so much that i am willing to convert. But if my parents dont agree to converting or even marriage (if it does come to that) then what should i do? how would the girls parents react?

Basically it is like this, once i have mentioned this situation there is no going back and thats a fact. for example, if i say i want to convert and mention the girl then things would never be the same for me between me and my parents. Also the girl says that she doesnt want me to convert just because of her.

if i was to convert eventually, what do i say? would her parents be okay with it? my parents would go crazy but do you think i should go ahead with it even if they so no? This is so hard and confusing for me, it is the biggest decision of my life.... as it could make or break my life.
    I have a few questions for you. You don't have to answer, it's just to make you think.

1) Are you actually a practising Sikh or were you just born into a Sikh family? Because there's a difference.

2) You are willing to convert for her (that's assuming you're an active member of your faith). Is she willing to do the same for you? Would she convert to Sikhism? If not, why not? Why is it that you would take this step for her, but she won't for you?

3) Her family is incredibly important to her and she has made that clear. But isn't your family just as important? Should her family's views take precedence over your family's views? Is it ok for you to risk losing your family and for her not to?

4) What if you convert and the girls family don't accept you? She's made it clear that she's sticking with her family. Where does that leave you?

5) You say you're prepared to convert. How religious is her family? Will they want you to learn how to read the Quran? Are you ready to go to the mosque regularly for the rest of your life if it comes to that? Are you prepared to adjust to a whole new belief system, culture and way of life? Her family will become your family, there's no escape from that.

6) Do you have the same views regarding how you want to life the rest of your life? How you want to bring up your children? What if your kids never get to meet their grandparents and uncles/aunts? Could you deal with that?

Finally, I just want to say that marriage is bloody hard work. It's so so difficult. Whatever you do, go into it with your eyes wide open. You're 20 years old. You're incredibly young. Do not do anything rash. Don't risk losing your entire family, people that have been there for you and raised you your entire life for a girl that you've known for a lot less time.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Don't convert you ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazzykinks)
    No they CAN marry a non-Muslim. It's only a matter of them wanting to. If her feelings for you are as strong as yours are for her, she shouldn't go on thinking you'll convert and she should accept it. Worst case scenario? Elope with each other. My parents did it and after 26 years they are still together.
    Erm no, Muslim women can't marry a non-muslim...

ReputationRep:
    don't convert just because of her. Read about Islam and if you genuinely believe in it, and want to go along with it- not for the girl but for yourself then go ahead. But if it does get to that make sure your 100% sure- think about it if you two have kids one day she might want to raise the kids in an islamic environment and if you don't agree with it then...

ReputationRep:
    Being from a similar background to you, I wouldn't do it. If she is willing for you to give up your religion and your family, and isn't expecting to make any sacrifices for you, she isn't worth it. If you meant the world to her, like she does to you, wouldn't you expect her to do anything in the situation, or is she willing for you to give up everything for her. Also why can't she marry a Sikh ? It may be against religious law, but nothing is mentioned in the state law.

ReputationRep:
    when the time comes and i do eventually tell my family, and i am positive there will be huge consequences, what am i supposed to do if they dont want to know because that will mean i dont really have a chance with her either... Also do you think i should convert and *try* to pursue a future with her even if my parents say no?

Of course i could still observe the sikh customs, it would be the best of both worlds. It might seem strange to some, but im not a hugely religious guy, so that could work.
    In all honesty, yes I think you should pursue *your* future with her. Don't get me wrong - I can imagine how much of a battle this is going to be for you, but it just seems wrong to me that your family are holding you back from what you want to do, even if they think it's in your best interests. At the same time, if it is going to be such a big deal, really ask yourself whether she is "worth it" - that sounds terrible but it needs to be said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wardah2)
    Erm no, Muslim women can't marry a non-muslim...
    Why not? Muslim men marry non-Muslim women.

ReputationRep:
    The reason a Muslim woman can not marry a non-Muslim man is because, if they were to have offspring's it is more likely the father's religion would dominate the household, thus the children would grow up to follow the father's religion than the mothers. That's the reason why Muslim men are allowed to marry non-muslim women.
    Islam believes that it should dominate the household i.e, the kids exp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazzykinks)
    No they CAN marry a non-Muslim. It's only a matter of them wanting to. If her feelings for you are as strong as yours are for her, she shouldn't go on thinking you'll convert and she should accept it. Worst case scenario? Elope with each other. My parents did it and after 26 years they are still together.
    Aww that's so cute! And so cool!

ReputationRep:
    Hope everything is going well for you OP. please dont convert for her. Research islam properly and make your decision based on that. Islam doesn't allow intimiate relationships before marriage so its a bit hypocrtitical of your gf to let you convert whilst she is not following one of the main rulings

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 28, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.