Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 747-400)
    Yeah hopefully, as long as summer exams go well, fingers crossed!!
    Ah well good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    I declined Nottingham for Teesside it was quite heartbreaking turning down the 5th best nursing university in the country, but when I was sat in the presentation for the interview they said things like 'some of you probably have the grades to do medicine but have chose a career in nursing'. I was sat there thinking omg everyone here is a lot more clever than I am! I felt quite out of place. Teesside is a lovely uni it's nice and small and has a better graduate employment rate for nursing than at Nottingham and has more masters options.
    I can't wait

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_spell)
    Probably not that relevant but I've chosen Sheffield over UCL, York and Exeter as my insurance choice for Biology ... I way preferred the city and when I visited I just felt like it suited me more. I'm kind of worried I've made the wrong choice now though, especially as it's not looking like I'm going to get into my firm!
    dude, you'll be okay. Put sheff as my firm, missed their offer, somehow/ for some reason they accepted me regardless. Actually doing alright.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .snowflake.)
    Declined UCL for Sheffield. Don't regret it at all, and to be honest, most people around me didnt blame me for doing it after finding out what my interview was like.

(Original post by Jodie_668)
    I turned down Durham and firmed Sheffield. At first the sound of all the traditional colleges and formal balls in Durham sounded amazing, especially as I'm from a very working class area. But after visiting the post applicant open days, I found that that lifestyle just definitely was not for me!! In the end, I chose Sheffield because I much preferred the more 'down to earth' feel of the uni

(Original post by HeavyTeddy)
    PFT, everyone knows UCL > KCL.

Edit: To answer the OP, I'm declining Warwick for Sheffield.

(Original post by 747-400)
    I am declining Manchester for Sheffield and I have absolutely no regrets at all

Probably not that relevant but I've chosen Sheffield over UCL, York and Exeter as my insurance choice for Biology ... I way preferred the city and when I visited I just felt like it suited me more. I'm kind of worried I've made the wrong choice now though, especially as it's not looking like I'm going to get into my firm!
    Go Sheffield!!!!:love::rave:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legendary collison)
    You actual Schmuck !!
    Excuse me?

ReputationRep:
    declined queen mary for city uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boredbeth13)
    Has anyone declined their 'best' offer -as in the one from the uni highest on the league tables etc? How did you feel about it? Did you feel under pressure to firm the most respected university?
    According to league tables, York was higher than Loughborough for economics (which I firmed), but I don't think it will make a difference to employers when they see I have straight As at A level and a good degree at a good uni.

I chose Loughborough because I'd rather spend 4 years there than at York, and I'd rather a place I'll be happy at which might not be as 'good' or 'reputable' than one I'll be miserable at which is 'better'.

ReputationRep:
    You won't regret Sheffield, it's got a great brand image and Sheffield is a cheap yet great and fun city with so much to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Inquisitive)
    I'm very motivated and everything, but the atmosphere just seems suffocating, the accommodation vile, and the teachers negligent. Simply couldn't accept haha.
    Lol, I'll give you the point on accommodation. But, the rest is a load of uninformed tosh. According to the CUG, LSE is joint with UCL for student satisfaction. You're in for a nasty shock if you think the tutors at UCL are going to hold your hand through the degree. The standard of teaching at both will be almost identical, some terrible lectures, some fantastic lectures. It's that simple.

As for the atmosphere, if you're an aspiring banker or lawyer, I'm sure you would thrive in it. Being amongst future bankers and lawyers will make you raise your game without you even realising it. The students who hate the atmosphere are the one's who don't fit the mould of a LSE student and had no idea that it was basically a factory for the square mile.

ReputationRep:
    Castle looks AMAZING on the website but it kind of looks like somewhere I'd go on a school history trip rather than somewhere I'd live, haha! I applied for St Aiden because it seemed a lot more modern.
    I think though that just because Durham is really prestigious, you shouldn't feel bad for rejecting them if you wanted to. At the end of the day, you've got to spend at least 3 years there and if you're not comfortable living there then it'll be difficult to enjoy the experience. York is still a very good university and I doubt you'll have any problem finding further study or a job from leaving there!
    Yeah I'd love to be able to say my college is a castle (I don't think I'd live in it) but that's the thing -am I only thinking about how impressive my uni would be to talk about? And the other girl in my year with an offer from Durham has a place at Aidan's and, looking at it, I'm really jealous! I have a feeling that I'd have easily firmed Durham if I'd been allocated that college, which is stupid since it's me who's to blame for the one I ended up with.

Thanks for this I'm still not sure what to do but I think I'm going to have to talk to the head of my sixth form soon and see how she reacts to all of this -not that it's really anything to do with her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    That depends on the course and what you want out of university. If the courses weren't too far removed from one another I'd go with York personally, but that's because I really hated Durham. Have you been to visit either of them?
    I've visited both twice and I think my conclusion with Durham is that I love the department (I'm doing sociology) but the more social side, accommodation etc might not be for me. It's really frustrating because I know that the course is important, but then again I do like the one at York. On one league table, Durham is 7 places above York for sociology, but then another says it's 12 above. I don't like that inconsistency!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueberryyums)
    I don't know how great of a difference this is in comparison to yours, but I declined EEE at Uni of Nottingham for EEE at Uni of Liverpool. On the complete university guide rankings for my course, they are 10 places apart, Nottingham being the 'best' amongst my offers. I was glad I got an offer and thought 'wow, this uni believes in me blah blah blah ego boost here and there' but that was it.

I wanted to live in a community or a city that fit my personality and nurtured my hobbies outside the uni and liverpool was the city. I'll be spending 3 years as an international student and I doubt every minute of those 3 years would be spent in the uni hence, my choice on the city.

Screw the league tables and follow your heart. It is best you enjoy where you're at at the beginning rather than decide to change a year later or be unhappy for a year before changing and/or think for 3 to 4 years 'how I wish I did this or that'.

Keep us updated!

That's exactly how I feel -'wow this uni actually wants me so how can I turn it down?'. And throughout year 12 Durham was my 'dream' so the idea of turning it down now is awful.

Thank you so much! It's so nice to find people on tsr who aren't all about the league tables!

I definitely will

ReputationRep:
    I've visited both twice and I think my conclusion with Durham is that I love the department (I'm doing sociology) but the more social side, accommodation etc might not be for me. It's really frustrating because I know that the course is important, but then again I do like the one at York. On one league table, Durham is 7 places above York for sociology, but then another says it's 12 above. I don't like that inconsistency!
    Oh wait, I was looking at the wrong thing. One shows Durham to be 11 places above for sociology, while the other shows it to be 12 above.

ReputationRep:
    That's exactly how I feel -'wow this uni actually wants me so how can I turn it down?'. And throughout year 12 Durham was my 'dream' so the idea of turning it down now is awful.

Thank you so much! It's so nice to find people on tsr who aren't all about the league tables!

I definitely will
    Yeah, the league tables make the decision seem so much harder than it is actually supposed to be. At the end of the day, it is where makes you happy that is really really important.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'd love to be able to say my college is a castle (I don't think I'd live in it) but that's the thing -am I only thinking about how impressive my uni would be to talk about? And the other girl in my year with an offer from Durham has a place at Aidan's and, looking at it, I'm really jealous! I have a feeling that I'd have easily firmed Durham if I'd been allocated that college, which is stupid since it's me who's to blame for the one I ended up with.

Thanks for this I'm still not sure what to do but I think I'm going to have to talk to the head of my sixth form soon and see how she reacts to all of this -not that it's really anything to do with her.
    I never looked into this when I applied, but are you able to switch colleges? I would of thought the more modern colleges, like Aiden, would be less popular so have some spaces left. Still, you've got till May to make your decision so I'm sure it will all work out by then!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    League tables aren't the be all and end all, I'd say go where you think you'll be happiest, which is clearly York. Especially with sociology you'd be best served to really enjoy the degree both academically and socially.

ReputationRep:
    I never looked into this when I applied, but are you able to switch colleges? I would of thought the more modern colleges, like Aiden, would be less popular so have some spaces left. Still, you've got till May to make your decision so I'm sure it will all work out by then!
    I don't think so. I think you probably have to try your college out for a while and then see what they say if you're really unhappy. I know everyone has a different experience but I'm worried as I've seen a couple of tsr threads about people dropping out of Durham -specifically Castle- as they felt they didn't fit in as incredibly working-class people. I don't want to automatically create barriers with anyone of a higher class than myself but I've seen this stop a few people from enjoying it. But thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    League tables aren't the be all and end all, I'd say go where you think you'll be happiest, which is clearly York. Especially with sociology you'd be best served to really enjoy the degree both academically and socially.
    Thanks for that

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone declined their 'best' offer -as in the one from the uni highest on the league tables etc? How did you feel about it? Did you feel under pressure to firm the most respected university?
    I declined Manchester for the Westminster uni. On the rankings Manchester is better, but it all depends on how you feel about the uni and if you want to go there. Ranks don't really matter if you're not gonna be happy.

ReputationRep:
    I declined Cambridge for Durham. Still agonising over it because most people believe that it was the wrong decision. I suppose I'll find out when I get there.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.