Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-support.html

It would appear that UKIP are ahead in teh polls against the LibDems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-support.html

It would appear that UKIP are ahead in teh polls against the LibDems
    Yes, UKIP have done well to exploit a growing fear of the EU / Immigration. I think people are also getting rather tired of the three other major parties aswell. Although closer to the election, I expect a few of them will undergo a radical ''change'' to make them seem like something new.

It's been a while since I commented on this thread, and I still disagree with many of their policies, including those on the EU/Immigration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biggie)
    http://www.ukip.org/content/ukip-pol...ss-ukip-policy

So essentially, UKIP want to allow employers to fire workers at a whim, forcing them to work unsustainable hours and threatening them with redundancy without pay if they refuse. A fantastic way to instil consumer confidence in an economy that revolves entirely around people having the confidence to spend money and increase social cohesion by not allowing workers necessary down time.

Honestly, it baffles me as to why any low paid worker would even consider voting for UKIP. There's a reason why policies like this aren't widely publicised.
    Not quite.

UKIP want it to be easier to make people redundant. At the moment, it's very hard, so if you employ somebody who's uselss, you're stuck with them. This impacts on your profits and thus stops you growing and employing people.

Only an idiot would sack workers on a whim, as any manager worth their salt realises that in our service dominant environment, skilled workers are what makes you money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHallowvale)
    So you may have realised i'm not the biggest fan of UKIP. I wanted to share my feelings with you, what do you think? I don't know a huge amount about politics, and my views are based on what i've seen.
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    Yeah, they're a pretty shoddy party.
    Agreed. UKIP is the party that says what people who don't think are thinking.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, UKIP have done well to exploit a growing fear of the EU / Immigration. I think people are also getting rather tired of the three other major parties aswell. Although closer to the election, I expect a few of them will undergo a radical ''change'' to make them seem like something new.
    Last person to actually do that was Michael Foot and well he got completely annihilated .

But the person to do it before him was Thatcher who shifted the Conservatives to the right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pastaferian)
    Agreed. UKIP is the party that says what people who don't think are thinking.
    UKIP is the party that thinks what those who are to scared to think would be thinking if they were of sound mind. UKIP are the only way forward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blake-inator)
    UKIP is the party that thinks what those who are to scared to think would be thinking if they were of sound mind. UKIP are the only way forward.
    By the looks of UKIPs manifesto, i'd say those who are ''too scared'' to think probably have rather stupid thoughts. I'd be much happier if they were not in the government.

As for UKIP being the ''only way forward'', that honestly makes me shiver. Many of their policies would actually damage our economy, which isn't what we want if we are to be moving forward.

For instance, they want to reduce immigration to 0 for 5 or so years:

''End mass, uncontrolled immigration. UKIP calls for an immediate five-year freeze on immigration for permanent settlement.''

What they forget is that people also leave this country, by the hundreds of thousands each year. Given that nobody is coming in to replace them, we'll quickly see a huge decline in the amount of taxable, working age people. This isn't at all benefitical to the government or businesses, and would most likely harm our economy.

ReputationRep:
    UKIP is the party that thinks what those who are to scared to think would be thinking if they were of sound mind.
    Those are certainly some of the people I had in mind. Thanks for making my case for me

ReputationRep:
    By the looks of UKIPs manifesto, i'd say those who are ''too scared'' to think probably have rather stupid thoughts. I'd be much happier if they were not in the government.

As for UKIP being the ''only way forward'', that honestly makes me shiver. Many of their policies would actually damage our economy, which isn't what we want if we are to be moving forward.

''End mass, uncontrolled immigration. UKIP calls for an immediate five-year freeze on immigration for permanent settlement.''

What they forget is that people also leave this country, by the hundreds of thousands each year. Given that nobody is coming in to replace them, we'll quickly see a huge decline in the amount of taxable, working age people. This isn't at all benefitical to the government or businesses, and would most likely harm our economy.
    But then it would be beneficial in the sense that a) we keep Britain British. Why should we have foreigners in our country? Why should we change for them, if they come to us?
    and b) it means that there will be enough people for the jobs available, so a cut to benefits would be good. If I had my way, we would put the max you could have on benefits (if fit enough to work) below substinence levels, so if they continued on that lifestyle, they would die. That way, all able people will be working somewhere

ReputationRep:
    But then it would be beneficial in the sense that a) we keep Britain British. Why should we have foreigners in our country? Why should we change for them, if they come to us?
    and b) it means that there will be enough people for the jobs available, so a cut to benefits would be good. If I had my way, we would put the max you could have on benefits (if fit enough to work) below substinence levels, so if they continued on that lifestyle, they would die. That way, all able people will be working somewhere
    Funny that people wish to keep ''Britain British''. What is ''British'' exactly? I'm not even fully British, do you want to kick me out too? But i'm white, so I presume you're fine with that? Keeping ''Britain British'', by that logic, doesn't stop with immigration. Do that, and you kick out African, Asian and American workers. Which would be suicide for this countries economy and reputation

Unemployment exists because there are not enough jobs. Cutting back the amount of immigrants we get each year, to 0, does not mean that those without a job will magically have one. A good majority of the people who leave this country do so to look for jobs, or to go to an area where they've been given a job. People leaving will not create jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    Not quite.

UKIP want it to be easier to make people redundant. At the moment, it's very hard, so if you employ somebody who's uselss, you're stuck with them. This impacts on your profits and thus stops you growing and employing people.

Only an idiot would sack workers on a whim, as any manager worth their salt realises that in our service dominant environment, skilled workers are what makes you money.
    http://www.oecd.org/employment/emp/o...protection.htm
    The table demonstrates that the UK has some of the worst employee protection in the developed world, a damning indiction considering this table uses figures from 2008, which isn't taking into account the reforms of the current government which has extended the period where employers don't have to go to a tribunal to sack someone from one to two years. Moreover, the government also want to remove legal aid from all employment cases except discrimination. And considering the high unemployment rate, I doubt employers would have to look too hard for replacements. I find it very hard to believe, therefore, that it is too hard to sack workers in this country.

Besides, this is a moot point. The mere indication of an increased threat of job losses through more lax legislation would undoubtedly make people more fearful, so I still can't see why the low paid would vote UKIP on that basis.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    This has probably already been mentioned, but UKIP also intend to:

• Support coal-fired power and oppose wind farms.
    • Stop funding UN's climate change panel.
    • Ban schools from showing Al Gore's film, An Inconvenient Truth.

(http://m.guardian.co.uk/politics/201...to-commitments)

Which seems like a fairly poor idea considering that global warming is an issue that needs to be tackled

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

This is the problem though. Your first statement on reducing immigration to nothing for five years is complete nonsense. UKIP wants to freeze permanent settlement for five years to enforce proper border controls: if you want to see evidence of the chaos with borders then Channel 4 emphasised it pretty well the other week with Dispatches on the UK Border Agency.

Work permits and temporary time-restricted settlement will obviously still continue as business relies on skilled individuals coming into the country, and crucially, our services, namely the NHS, depend on migrants. The point is though for too long we've had too much unskilled migration which a House of Lords Economic Committee Report has said has not created wealth in the economy, and we have been neglecting the migration we do need - the skilled migration.

(Original post by shadowdweller)
    This has probably already been mentioned, but UKIP also intend to:

• Support coal-fired power and oppose wind farms.
    • Stop funding UN's climate change panel.
    • Ban schools from showing Al Gore's film, An Inconvenient Truth.

(http://m.guardian.co.uk/politics/201...to-commitments)

Which seems like a fairly poor idea considering that global warming is an issue that needs to be tackled

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well it doesn't really considering the 'Bull in a China shop' approach governments seem to be taking towards climate change whereby they are closing down coal-fired power stations, losing jobs, in favour of wind turbines which, for the most part, do not actually work. The intermittent nature of wind turbines means they stop for example when it's too windy, and they've even as of late been catching fire and blowing down. What happens when wind turbines fail? We resort back to coal, and that's what's happening a lot. Not to mention the fact, that when we close down our coal-fired power stations, companies just move across to India, so even if we were attempting to reduce carbon emissions, the net reduction is diddly squat.

Renewables need to be looked at from a water-based perspective - tidal and HEP - and they should not be subsidised through taxpayers; research needs to be invested in by organisations. Nuclear would also be a good start to reducing fossil fuel consumption.

Funny that people wish to keep ''Britain British''. What is ''British'' exactly? I'm not even fully British, do you want to kick me out too? But i'm white, so I presume you're fine with that? Keeping ''Britain British'', by that logic, doesn't stop with immigration. Do that, and you kick out African, Asian and American workers. Which would be suicide for this countries economy and reputation

Unemployment exists because there are not enough jobs. Cutting back the amount of immigrants we get each year, to 0, does not mean that those without a job will magically have one. A good majority of the people who leave this country do so to look for jobs, or to go to an area where they've been given a job. People leaving will not create jobs.
    Exactly. So persisting with an open-door immigration policy means any further settlers, particularly in the unskilled market, will mean the people here will face even tougher competition for those jobs, when it shouldn't be like that. This is the problem with the EU's free movement of people - it promotes the unskilled migration that the 2.5 million unemployed should be doing without promoting the migration the country needs - skilled, i.e. doctors, nurses.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.