Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I feel as if I'm socially excluded because I don't drink? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I just don't get any invites to anywhere- I'm not sure if thats because I'm generally hated ect or because I don't drink.

What can I do.
    It's most likely that people think you'll feel uncomfortable or something. Just mention that you'd like to go next time an event's going on

I dont drink at all while im at home purely because it costs alot of money to get a taxi and my mum is very anti drinking due to my health problems. I dont get excluded because I make a massive conscience effort to still have fun yes standing in a club sober CAN BE **** but it also can be such a laugh some of my best nights out have been sober. You have to just enjoy yourself I dance like a moron act like an idiot and nobdoy even notices im sober you should try let yourself let down your sober guard when your out its possible to have a laugh and fun while sober but if you maybe just sit in the corner fed up of being sober or disapprove of all their dirnking that could be why they dont inv9ite you ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deedee123)
    Coke Zero and water does not have the same effect as alcohol does, what are you talking about? the effects of alcohol are not an "illusion" they are a physical reaction occurring in your body.

your friends don't have to accustom themselves to anything. No matter what you say, not drinking does exclude you from activities, my point is proven by the OP not being invited out.
    The illusion is based on how people see alcohol, people SEE (perception) alcohol as almost something that will guarantee you confidence, self esteem, pride. If you can get that from a liquid, and that's not an illusion please enlighten me on what an illusion is.

The effects of alcohol are physical agreed, but they manifest themselves into something a lot larger than just what an individual may have drank alcohol with the intention of doing. e.g. night club - drink just so you have more confidence with chicks. However next morning you're throwing up, from too much alcohol.

Your last point I cannot address, we seek different things from our friends. For me my friends, are people that make me comfortable, in addition to being people that I care about and care about me in turn.
    Thus by making me feel at ease, allowing me to be as I wish instead of what they'd rather me be-- those are the type of friends that accustom to my beliefs. And thus in that case, no, not drinking alcohol doesn't exclude you from social activities. You exclude you from social activities, friends now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Substantia)
    Confidence, lack of self consciousness and increased esteem may well be influenced by the social situation (the party environment) but alcohol clearly does effect the way you act and is certainly not an illusion. Itis possible to have fun without drinking if you are outgoing, sociable and naturally confident but tbh people who lack these qualities when sober can often come across as quite boring.

(Your liquid argument is just silly, intravenous heroin and hydrogen cyanide are also liquids, the state of a chemical doesn't nullify its pharmacological activity.)
    They're no really boring in reality, people see them as so, because they're seen as self outcasted. As a result, they come across as holding back or even as reluctant to enjoy the "fun". :confused:

No but there's an illusion, "if I use heroin, I'll get high" - end of. However it's an illusion because there's so much more to it, than just what you want from it! Argh c'mon TSR questions before judgement.

ReputationRep:
    I'm rarely drink, so during uni, I don't think I will be drinking at all. People see me as a boring person, and this is not the case at all. There is major social exclusion to non drinkers, and it's all a bit unfair. Maybe all the non drinkers should just get together and do their own thing haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rival_)
    The illusion is based on how people see alcohol, people SEE (perception) alcohol as almost something that will guarantee you confidence, self esteem, pride. If you can get that from a liquid, and that's not an illusion please enlighten me on what an illusion is.

The effects of alcohol are physical agreed, but they manifest themselves into something a lot larger than just what an individual may have drank alcohol with the intention of doing. e.g. night club - drink just so you have more confidence with chicks. However next morning you're throwing up, from too much alcohol.

Your last point I cannot address, we seek different things from our friends. For me my friends, are people that make me comfortable, in addition to being people that I care about and care about me in turn.
    Thus by making me feel at ease, allowing me to be as I wish instead of what they'd rather me be-- those are the type of friends that accustom to my beliefs. And thus in that case, no, not drinking alcohol doesn't exclude you from social activities. You exclude you from social activities, friends now?
    you're just babbling now. The point of this thread was whether the OP's "friends" weren't inviting him/her out because they don't like him/her or because she/he doesn't drink. At the end of the day they're not inviting her/him out so they cant exactly be best friends.

ReputationRep:
    I've completely stopped drinking for various reasons, therefore people think I'm boring. What they don't know is that I take other drugs as an alternative which are way more fun and don't make me have awful hangovers. And research shows that those substances are less harmful than alcohol.

So yeah, there are options for you. Just don't hang out with the typical uni people who binge drink four times a week. You're not gonna have any fun with them. Which uni are you at if I may ask?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deedee123)
    you're just babbling now. The point of this thread was whether the OP's "friends" weren't inviting him/her out because they don't like him/her or because she/he doesn't drink. At the end of the day they're not inviting her/him out so they cant exactly be best friends.
    Since we're identifying each other's features, let me be the first to state, how you're very opinionated. But yeah I guess you're right last point, however it doesn't mean to say alcohol is the reason that the OP is being excluded.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.