Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    where do you lot get your info about mergers and take overs I cant find any facts and figures on Kraft and cadbury or EE.

This exam is stupid...

I dont really understand how to put together the research, I seem to be getting bits of information on about 15 different businesses, I cant understand how you research 5 businesses and be able to include all the topics, I mean emerging markets and Mergers/takerovers along with every other topic seems to require knowing a lot more than 5 businesses only

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieTT)
    Here's my notes on bullet point one:

Factor 1 - Leadership
    Culture is more often than not derived from the leader of an organisation. According to Handy, Power Culture tends to suit an Autocratic Leadership style, Role culture is suited towards Autocratic or paternalistic leadership, Task Culture lends itself to Paternalistic or democratic leadership style and Person culture tends to suit a Democratic leadership style.
    Steve Jobbs for example had an autocratic leadership style and Apple operates under a power culture (With those in the Apple Top 100 enjoying benefits).

Factor 2 - Ownership
    Ownership is a factor that affects culture. For example if its a PLC or LTD. PLCs tend to focus (According to Hofstede) on short-termism which is derived from profit and pleasing its shareholders. Whereas LTDs are suited more to Long-termism. Tesco is a Plc that dominates the grocery market, however its short term stint in the USA with Fresh n' Easy will damage its long term profits due to the massive cost of 300 stores with none turning a profit. JCB however is an LTD, thats long term view recently saw it breaking even after 15 years.

Factor 3 - Market Size/Growth/Structure
    The market size, growth and structure can also affect culture. A business in a market with low size but high growth may have an entrepreneurial culture, wheras one with large size and low growth might have a high uncertainty avoidance as to not lose its foothold in the market. The market for baked beans has been stagnant for 20 years so companies like Heinz would have a high uncertainty avoidance, sticking to what they know to maintain their market share.

Factor 4 - Past Recruitment Policies
    Past recruitment policies can affect cultuere too. A monochromatic recruitment culture (where most people hired are the same) may have a culture of collectivism due to a lack of individuality. Whereas polychromatic recruitment culture may have a culture of individualism. Google has a very open, passive culture that encourages collectivism, and in each of its main offices the type of people tends to be very monochrome.

Factor 5 - External Factors
    There are many External Factors that can affect culture. For example economic factors may cause a change to a business' uncertainty avoidance and masculinity/femininity. Wider cultures (Multi-business cultures) can also be affected such as the libor fixing scandal that affected all banks.

I'll write the rest up later, its kinda hard on a phone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Heyya your points made a lot of sense really struggling to answer the impact of organisation culture on business strategy any idea what I could say thanks alot

ReputationRep:
    No problem. Will post the rest of my notes after my maths exams tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    I'm struggling to understand how you would actually include the theorists in an answer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meg511)
    I'm struggling to understand how you would actually include the theorists in an answer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is a paragraph from an answer I gave and marked by the business lecturer (grade B- needs more analysis for grade A).

Using Porter's 5 Forces, where the power of buyers is high the business has to frequently change to keep up with high demand: Apple is an innovative organisation; iPhone 5 was recently brought out and despite it being a new product in the same market (Ansoff's Matrix) and the difference between the new iPhone and iPhone 4s being only minor, the sales of the new phone are blooming. The phone is still in its introduction stage (Product Life-cycle) , but it is likely the sales will increase even in the growth/maturity stage, until a new star (Boston Consulting Group) comes out. Personally, iPhone will never become a "dog" because even iPhone 3 (the first Apple phone) is still being bought.

* To show how well you understand the theories, draw a diagram (in the exam) and explain it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, how much info do you have for each theorist as we've not done a lot on them

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think I am seriously going to be ****ed if I don't get a move on with my research. Have barely even started

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    where do you lot get your info about mergers and take overs I cant find any facts and figures on Kraft and cadbury or EE.

This exam is stupid...

I dont really understand how to put together the research, I seem to be getting bits of information on about 15 different businesses, I cant understand how you research 5 businesses and be able to include all the topics, I mean emerging markets and Mergers/takerovers along with every other topic seems to require knowing a lot more than 5 businesses only
    just bullsh1t always works for me just make up the business and facts as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meg511)
    Thanks, how much info do you have for each theorist as we've not done a lot on them

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have enough knowledge to know what each one is about, how they are used and how to apply them. Although I must add that this is thanks to my business lecturer, I have asked him countless times to go through it and he has done so. After a while you do understand the theories. For motivational theories read through the AS Business book and you have the other theories in the A2 Business.

ReputationRep:
    My friend is doing this exam and really finding it hard. Can anyone share any notes? I gave people my notes last year when i did this paper

ReputationRep:
    Alright thanks I'll try and learn the basics of a few of them then

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Come on guys I really need help on implication on organisational culture on a businesses strategy and performance I feel really helpless being brain storming for 2 days no plus I have a very useless teacher this is my last resort at understanding what that question is asking me to say please help thank u

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Sagas;42643982]Come on guys I really need help on implication on organisational culture on a businesses strategy and performance I feel really helpless being brain storming for 2 days no plus I have a very useless teacher this is my last resort at understanding what that question is asking me to say please help thank [\quote]

BP2 - plc culture of BP, the oil firm is said to have a short term strategy. This affects performance in the short term by making huge profits, but in the long term how many fines have BP had.

Apple culture of innovation, creates a strategy to use its competitive. Advantage, performance 9 years of profit.

Ive got more examples but can't write it on here as I'm on my phone.
    Have you got Skype for IM? We can share ideas?

ReputationRep:
    No problem. Will post the rest of my notes after my maths exams tomorrow
    Could you upload notes on the thory of culture?

ReputationRep:
    • Factors influencing the Culture of an organisation.

Factor 1 - Leadership
      Culture is more often than not derived from the leader of an organisation. According to Handy, Power Culture tends to suit an Autocratic Leadership style, Role culture is suited towards Autocratic or paternalistic leadership, Task Culture lends itself to Paternalistic or democratic leadership style and Person culture tends to suit a Democratic leadership style.
      Steve Jobbs for example had an autocratic leadership style and Apple operates under a power culture (With those in the Apple Top 100 enjoying benefits).

Factor 2 - Ownership
      Ownership is a factor that affects culture. For example if its a PLC or LTD. PLCs tend to focus (According to Hofstede) on short-termism which is derived from profit and pleasing its shareholders. Whereas LTDs are suited more to Long-termism. Tesco is a Plc that dominates the grocery market, however its short term stint in the USA with Fresh n' Easy will damage its long term profits due to the massive cost of 300 stores with none turning a profit. JCB however is an LTD, thats long term view recently saw it breaking even after 15 years.

The market size, growth and structure can also affect culture. A business in a market with low size but high growth may have an entrepreneurial culture, wheras one with large size and low growth might have a high uncertainty avoidance as to not lose its foothold in the market. The market for baked beans has been stagnant for 20 years so companies like Heinz would have a high uncertainty avoidance, sticking to what they know to maintain their market share.

Past recruitment policies can affect cultuere too. A monochromatic recruitment culture (where most people hired are the same) may have a culture of collectivism due to a lack of individuality. Whereas polychromatic recruitment culture may have a culture of individualism. Google has a very open, passive culture that encourages collectivism, and in each of its main offices the type of people tends to be very monochrome.

There are many External Factors that can affect culture. For example economic factors may cause a change to a business' uncertainty avoidance and masculinity/femininity. Wider cultures (Multi-business cultures) can also be affected such as the libor fixing scandal that affected all banks.

• Impact of Organisational Culture on Strategy and Performance

Impact of Culture on Strategy
      +Apple has an innovative culture driven by success.
      +Waitrose/John Lewis have employees that maintain the strategy of good customer service.
      -Morrisons have a culture of good value which misses the strategy of convenience. Their market share is slipping due to home delivery.
      -Metropoliton Police have a culture of collectivism which blinds them from the correct strategy.

Impact of Culture on Performance
      +Pepsi had an individualistic culture and was rated as one of Britain's top Employers.
      -Apple recruited the boss of Dixons to head retail but his short-term focus did not match the long-term focus of Apple and cause their retail sector to fall short.
      -GAME/Gamestation holds a monopoly on high street video game retailers, and have a general anti-customer culture.

• Reasons for Changes in Organisational Culture

Why would an organisation change its culture?

An organisation may want to change its culture due to internal reasons.
      Such as: Poor performance, Market Conditions, New Leadership (For example Apple's change in leader from Steve Jobs to John Sculley then back to Steve Jobs.), Change of Sector between Public and Private sector (Royal Mail.), Corporate Objectives, Organic Growth and New Ownership (For example Innocent being bought by Coca Cola)

An organisation may also want to change its culture due to external reasons.
      Such as: Economic change (Boom to Recession in the period of 2007-2009), Change in Competition (Apple and Samsung) and Global Culture (Tesco in America).

The main circumstances for Change however tend to be when there is a Business turnaround, in which a decline leads to a crunch point which has been noticed in companies such as Woolworths and Sony, and a New Opportunity presenting itself to the business such as Jaguar-Land Rover being bought by Tata.

• Ways of Changing Organisational Culture

Ways of Changing Culture
      Cultural change comes from actions not words. Such as sacking senior staff members, promoting younger staff, getting all Board Members to spend a week on the shopfloor to understand the position of a standard supervisor and making a fundamental change to recruitment or promotion policies.

Ways of Trying to change culture
      Trying to change culture is often watered down, which means that culture may not enter changing at all. It tends to come from words as opposed to actions.

• Problems of Changing Organisation Culture

The Problems of Changing culture depend on the strength of the culture, the type of the culture, the reason for change and the habits of employees.

Resistance of change can be caused by Lack of Trust, Fear of change and Impact on self.

I'm going to try and update the 2nd, 4th and 5th Bullet Points because I'm not that happy with the notes I did on them.

ReputationRep:
    • Factors influencing the Culture of an organisation.

Factor 1 - Leadership

Factor 2 - Ownership

• Impact of Organisational Culture on Strategy and Performance

Impact of Culture on Strategy
      +Apple has an innovative culture driven by success.
      +Waitrose/John Lewis have employees that maintain the strategy of good customer service.
      -Morrisons have a culture of good value which misses the strategy of convenience. Their market share is slipping due to home delivery.
      -Metropoliton Police have a culture of collectivism which blinds them from the correct strategy.

Impact of Culture on Performance
      +Pepsi had an individualistic culture and was rated as one of Britain's top Employers.
      -Apple recruited the boss of Dixons to head retail but his short-term focus did not match the long-term focus of Apple and cause their retail sector to fall short.
      -GAME/Gamestation holds a monopoly on high street video game retailers, and have a general anti-customer culture.

• Reasons for Changes in Organisational Culture

Why would an organisation change its culture?

An organisation may want to change its culture due to internal reasons.
      Such as: Poor performance, Market Conditions, New Leadership (For example Apple's change in leader from Steve Jobs to John Sculley then back to Steve Jobs.), Change of Sector between Public and Private sector (Royal Mail.), Corporate Objectives, Organic Growth and New Ownership (For example Innocent being bought by Coca Cola)

An organisation may also want to change its culture due to external reasons.
      Such as: Economic change (Boom to Recession in the period of 2007-2009), Change in Competition (Apple and Samsung) and Global Culture (Tesco in America).

The main circumstances for Change however tend to be when there is a Business turnaround, in which a decline leads to a crunch point which has been noticed in companies such as Woolworths and Sony, and a New Opportunity presenting itself to the business such as Jaguar-Land Rover being bought by Tata.

• Ways of Changing Organisational Culture

Ways of Changing Culture
      Cultural change comes from actions not words. Such as sacking senior staff members, promoting younger staff, getting all Board Members to spend a week on the shopfloor to understand the position of a standard supervisor and making a fundamental change to recruitment or promotion policies.

Ways of Trying to change culture
      Trying to change culture is often watered down, which means that culture may not enter changing at all. It tends to come from words as opposed to actions.

• Problems of Changing Organisation Culture

The Problems of Changing culture depend on the strength of the culture, the type of the culture, the reason for change and the habits of employees.

Resistance of change can be caused by Lack of Trust, Fear of change and Impact on self.

I'm going to try and update the 2nd, 4th and 5th Bullet Points because I'm not that happy with the notes I did on them.
    I think I'm in love with you and your beautiful, beautiful brain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxm)
    I think I'm in love with you and your beautiful, beautiful brain.
    Awwww... Stop it you...

ReputationRep:
    starbucks is a good one for this unit.
    howard schultz- influence on the culture of an organisation
    cultural differences withian an organisation- all nationalities, call employees partners, share the same vision.
    reasons for changing organisational culture- sales growth was in decline, customers were neglected and staff
    ways of changing the organisational culture- refocusing on the customer writing names on the cups to make customers feel valued etc making sure staff knew what to do

ReputationRep:
    Awwww... Stop it you...
    Thank you soo much your amazing

ReputationRep:
    Anybody got any notes for section B? Would be much appreciated

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.