Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePremierLeague)
    first things first man you gotta eat if you wanna put on muscle

ive seen too many skinny guys in the gym constantly who dont seem to get any bigger and then wonder why they are still small...and its cos you guys seem to be scared of food

all the big guys you see in the gym can put food away so before u even begin going u have to start eating man and when i say eat i dont mean a carrot stick i mean a nandos/maccies
    How much and how do you get the appetite for it. I live at home so I can't exactly tell them what to cook for dinner
    Are there any cheap snacks such as raisions or nuts I can buy for protein/ calories?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by printergirl)
    How much and how do you get the appetite for it. I live at home so I can't exactly tell them what to cook for dinner
    Are there any cheap snacks such as raisions or nuts I can buy for protein/ calories?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    at least 3 large meals a day, to start you might need to 'force' more calories to increase weight, but as soon as you build muscle ur extra weight will dissapear and ur appetite will rocket... trust me

raison's/ nuts aren't gonna cut it for u atm, i would recommend protein shakes/protein bars( like chocolate bars full of protein and calories), CHICKEN, just try and eat calorie-rich food cos until you put weight on you CANNOT build muscle.

maybe try maccies for breakfasts a few days a week too? i did this before i started lifting and it helps believe me

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Buy Oats porridge, also get eggs and eat them. For your weight you just need a large quantity of any food aslong as its not pure garbage i.e crisps chocolate ice cream soda (you can still have them, just don't try and increase your calories by using them.

I recommend Oats and eggs because there cheap, good sources and quick to prepare. Also milk and a protein shake a day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonstudent1)
    Buy Oats porridge, also get eggs and eat them. For your weight you just need a large quantity of any food aslong as its not pure garbage i.e crisps chocolate ice cream soda (you can still have them, just don't try and increase your calories by using them.

I recommend Oats and eggs because there cheap, good sources and quick to prepare. Also milk and a protein shake a day.
    I would recommend more than a protein shake a day :P

3 protein shakes a day; post workout, between two meals, and before bed. Mix oats into it too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the666thmessiah)
    I would recommend more than a protein shake a day :P

3 protein shakes a day; post workout, between two meals, and before bed. Mix oats into it too.
    Maybe 2, Idk if I would reccommed 3. For a begginner his digestive system will be destroyed. He'll need to s*** atleast 10 times a day lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonstudent1)
    Maybe 2, Idk if I would reccommed 3. For a begginner his digestive system will be destroyed. He'll need to s*** atleast 10 times a day lol
    Thats true, when I started I committed entirely to my gym/diet/supplement regime, and wow did my toilet suffer the consequences. haha, the gains were worth it though.

ReputationRep:
    Would anyone consider using a personal trainer at their gym ?
    I was looking online and it seems like form is really important when doing all these exercises to prevent injury. I am just wondering whether or not having a personal trainer would be useful (just for a month or 2)

ReputationRep:
    Muscle growth comes from apparently '30% exercise' '70% diet', exercise without the diet wont get you there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manu01)
    I was looking online and it seems like form is really important when doing all these exercises to prevent injury. I am just wondering whether or not having a personal trainer would be useful (just for a month or 2)
    P.T are a mixed bag. I think a better (and much cheaper strategy) would be to film your lifts and then upload the film to a site like this or bb and ask people to critique it.
    But you are right to place importance on form and realise the potential injury risks.

ReputationRep:
    Not big / ripped but toned
    I don't want to take Any shakes either
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Drink whole milk then, like two pints a day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manu01)
    Youtube exercises, ensure you have the right technique. Don't ego lift.

ReputationRep:
    Big bowls of porridge, pint's of milk, 4 egg omlettes, wholemeal toast, tins of tuna, fruit and veg, meat, potatoes, plenty of water.

That's pretty much my diet right now. and it's definately working. Sometimes I'll have some biscuits, or a pack of crisps, but usually it's clean.

I also take supplements though:

Weight gain protein shake that's 440 calories.

Instant oats from MyProtein, easy to make in your shaker with milk and only a few gulps gives you 400 calories and 70g of good carbs, can't go wrong if you struggle to eat alot (which i imagine you do) they cost £2.50 and the ingredients list is: 'ground oats'.

Creatine (costs ~£4.50 for a bag from Myprotein)

Like you I was a bit wary of supplements when I first started, but I'd be nowhere near the weight or size I am right now without them. I suck at eating!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Anyone familiar with the big lifts and fancies critiquing my squat form? .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcus2001)
    Make a thread and people will check.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcus2001)
    There's a sticky for form checks now

ReputationRep:
    (I'm a guy first of all )
    I've decided to Starr going to the gym, im 18 an aveeage 5ft 6 weigh 55kg, looking to get big( edit I mean toned not big)for a lads holiday in June to maga
    I'm very skinny and have never done any physical activity and cannot even bicep curl 10kg
    Will going 3 tines a week for 4/5 months be noticeable and will I make large gains?
    Can someone recommend a workout for me, I want to work upper body, get toned and bigger as I'm very skinny atm
    Thanks for any replies! :yes:
    Would I have to have a diet?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

OK so this is an edit
    After my first gym session I found out I struggle on 3*5 on 5 kg bicep curls, by the 5th rep on 1st set I struggled massively, cannot do one rep of 8kg
    And lack confidence to do bigger lifts such as bench and squat
    Alright buddy, yeh sure 4-5 months of lifting will definitely make a noticeable improvement to your physique.

Go for a 3day split. Chest and triceps on monday. Legs and shoulders on wednesday and back and biceps friday. Do around 4-5 exercises per day, 3 sets for each exercise and pick a weight that gets you to fail at between 8-12 reps for the first set.

If you want to build muscle you seriously need to do compounds movements. Please just remember do NOT LIFT TOO HEAVY, this is like the number 1 mistake guys make.

Good luck man and have fun!

ReputationRep:
    Some good advice here. Definitely should stick to protein-rich foods as well as foods with complex carbs and starch (pasta, rice, potatoes, oats etc).

Creatine is crap, unless you're only after short term gains. All it does is force your muscles to take in water to make them appear bigger... but you have to 'cycle' creatine, and when you come off of it you lose that excess water and you shrink in size.

ReputationRep:
    When you are exercising certain muscles on a certain day - for example triceps and chest, are you meant to alternate between the two. So one tricep exercise, then chest, then back to triceps or are you meant to do all tricep exercises followed by the chest ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Creatine is crap, unless you're only after short term gains. All it does is force your muscles to take in water to make them appear bigger... but you have to 'cycle' creatine, and when you come off of it you lose that excess water and you shrink in size.
    Creatine is not crap at all. You're not supposed to use it for short term gains, that's not the purpose of it. Quite the opposite, you cycle it with a view to achieving long term gains. It's a performance enhancer, used to replenish your ATP energy source. In the gym, this will give you some additional energy to get those extra reps. It's useful for getting over a plateau. As the OP has only just starting lifting though, it's not necessary to take creatine yet.

As for protein shakes, taking one post workout with 100g of oats and milk is sufficient in my opinion. That will provide 500-600kcal. Taking up to three shakes a day is a bit OTT, not to mention expensive. As you only weigh 55kg, it's really not that difficult to reach your daily protein needs for mass gain from solid foods. A chicken breast contains around 30-35g of protein. A small pot (100g) of Total greek yoghurt contains 20g of protein.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Some good advice here. Definitely should stick to protein-rich foods as well as foods with complex carbs and starch (pasta, rice, potatoes, oats etc).

Creatine is awesome.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.