Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edithwashere)
    "There were 5,651 prosecutions for rape for the period between January 2011 and May 2012 the study looked at, but only 35 for making false allegations of rape.

Likewise, there were 111,891 prosecutions for domestic violence, but only six for making false allegations of domestic violence.

A further three people were charged with making false allegations of both rape and domestic violence.

The study found that a significant number of these cases involved "young, often vulnerable people, and sometimes even children".

Around half were brought forward by people aged 21 and under, with some involving people with mental health difficulties.

In 38% of those investigations, the initial complaint of rape or domestic violence was made by someone other than the suspect. When the alleged victim was under 18, that figure rose to 50% and often involved a parent.

"From the cases we have analysed, the indication is that it is therefore extremely rare that a suspect deliberately makes a false allegation of rape or domestic violence purely out of malice," Mr Starmer added.

"It is within this context that the issue should be viewed, so that myths and stereotypes around these cases are not able to take hold."

If you're talking about rape accusations which don't involve the police in anyway are commonplace? Because I've never heard of it happening. It's just a myth. Unless you can provide anything to support your argument you're not going to make a good case.
    The key elemnt would be 'purely out of malice', that does not mean the aligations aren't false. Equally, and again, I say that these are figures of prosecutions of such things, we have no stats on the amount that aren't warrented with prosecution, I know of plenty of people that have made false or incorrect crime reports and have recieved no prosecution.

I was not trying to say the thing is common place, merely pointing out a hole in your argument when you declared your assertion 'proved'.

My personal opinion is that I know of people who have been falsely accused of rape in two cases. One where it was somewhat malicious, and one where it was a case of perfectly consented sex between a 15 and a 16 year old and the parents pushed for a statutory conviction, in each case the accused suffered. I don't think there is a widespread culture of this, however I don't think the threat of false accusation is a non-issue either.

ReputationRep:
    Not exactly related, but I don't understand how expressing any degree of sympathy for the rapist means you are a rape apologist. People can still express sadness at the boys actions without condoning them. I am quite a strong determinist and therefore find the whole blame game pretty pointless anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edithwashere)
    This article goes into the matter in quite a lot of depth if you're interested, I definitely think internet misogyny is a huge problem, rape culture being just a part of it http://www.huffingtonpost.com/soraya...b_2931720.html
    Frak that article is vile. Some people on this planet makes you wonder just how they were raised to make thosekind of comments........

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.