Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anticipating what other idiots are doing on the roads.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    Doing the handbrake, gas and bite business is annoying when doing the three point turn. When I first learnt it, I remember doing the turn, but I was just using the clutch to balance the car when my wheels were close to the pavement before gearing from 1st to reverse when in the middle of the road. Nevertheless, it's an easy manoeuvre.
    Yes, it's the easiest maneuver, but also it's very easy to fail on three point turn, because you need to remember about all your observations and blind spots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScarlettFierce)
    Anticipating what other idiots are doing on the roads.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    this

Had too many encounters with idiots today whilst driving!

Somebody nearly re-ended me, don't exactly know why but he shouldn't have been driving that fast clearly, the car in front of me was doing around 32mph (40 limit) and so obviously i was doing around the same so he was probably getting a little mad at that, but in fairness it wasn't the best weather conditions either and anyway i had to slow down a bit of get past a parked car i checked my rear view mirror and there he was bloody behind me! im telling you about a couple of inches off my back bumper.

Also had to perform pretty much a emergency stop because a car decided too late that he wanted to turn right, no indicators or braking -.-

and that wasn't all either unfortunately, and it was only a 25 mile trip all round

ReputationRep:
    Another roundabout, another ****! There is a roundabout in Crawley, where you have to use the right hand lane to go straight instead of the left lane, however it is very clearly marked. From the left hand lane, there is a similar layout. So there I am, happily in the right hand lane going straight, and out pulls a car from the left hand lane. I barely even noticed it at first, thinking it was turning left, as it should have been, in the left lane, onto the same exit as me. I should note here there are thick white lines with that "do not cross" marking between the left and right lanes. But then, instead of going left, he decides to cut right across those lines, and my path, and go straight.

I was not impressed.

I know the layout is different from "usual", but it is very clearly marked - I mean if I understood it first time (without any confusion) and I'm a new driver,then I think anyone should be able to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadiah)
    Another roundabout, another ****! There is a roundabout in Crawley, where you have to use the right hand lane to go straight instead of the left lane, however it is very clearly marked. From the left hand lane, there is a similar layout. So there I am, happily in the right hand lane going straight, and out pulls a car from the left hand lane. I barely even noticed it at first, thinking it was turning left, as it should have been, in the left lane, onto the same exit as me. I should note here there are thick white lines with that "do not cross" marking between the left and right lanes. But then, instead of going left, he decides to cut right across those lines, and my path, and go straight.

I was not impressed.

I know the layout is different from "usual", but it is very clearly marked - I mean if I understood it first time (without any confusion) and I'm a new driver,then I think anyone should be able to.
    happens. you'll learn to not look into things like that much. he basically didnt want to have to do another circle around the roundabout because he forgot/didnt know which was his exit.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by nadiah)

I was not impressed.

Have you come across roundabouts with a lane through the middle? They're exciting.

Might be a Nottingham thing though. We call roundabouts islands anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Changing gears downwards when I have to slow down or turn, a bit tricky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatashaLee)
    this

Had too many encounters with idiots today whilst driving!

Somebody nearly re-ended me, don't exactly know why but he shouldn't have been driving that fast clearly, the car in front of me was doing around 32mph (40 limit) and so obviously i was doing around the same so he was probably getting a little mad at that, but in fairness it wasn't the best weather conditions either and anyway i had to slow down a bit of get past a parked car i checked my rear view mirror and there he was bloody behind me! im telling you about a couple of inches off my back bumper.

Also had to perform pretty much a emergency stop because a car decided too late that he wanted to turn right, no indicators or braking -.-

and that wasn't all either unfortunately, and it was only a 25 mile trip all round
    This also happened to me! I was on the right hand lane of a dual carriageway overtaking a HGV and BMW sped right up to me and stayed at the back of my bumper until I finished overtaking. Scared the crap out of me because he was approaching me so fast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScarlettFierce)
    This also happened to me! I was on the right hand lane of a dual carriageway overtaking a HGV and BMW sped right up to me and stayed at the back of my bumper until I finished overtaking. Scared the crap out of me because he was approaching me so fast.
    Its so annoying isn't it -.- and as you said scarey, i was just have a casual look in my read view mirrors as you do, and there he was, right behind me :/

Annoying thing is, we'll be the ones paying more insurance than them -.-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatashaLee)
    Its so annoying isn't it -.- and as you said scarey, i was just have a casual look in my read view mirrors as you do, and there he was, right behind me :/

Annoying thing is, we'll be the ones paying more insurance than them -.-
    I know! And they'd try to put the blame on us as we are "inexperienced new drivers" so we would have to pay out out of our insurance -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Getting yourself into ****ty situations without thinking. Not being able to judge properly and stopping in a yellow box is an example of what I did recently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by This Honest)
    Changing gears downwards when I have to slow down or turn, a bit tricky
    I second this. Faffing around and changing gears all the time is the most difficult part of driving for me.

I constantly have to think about when to downshift/upshift my gears and it gets annoying when I have to turn right/left into a side road as I have to adjust my speed and gears for a smooth turn. I spend around 40% of my concentration on the gears with the rest on the road.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Parking in a space in a car park. I never learned how to do it in my lessons and it takes me about 5 minutes

ReputationRep:
    staying in the right lane in roundabouts... gaah.

ReputationRep:
    Stopping and starting on really steep hills...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hustler-1337)
    I second this. Faffing around and changing gears all the time is the most difficult part of driving for me.

I constantly have to think about when to downshift/upshift my gears and it gets annoying when I have to turn right/left into a side road as I have to adjust my speed and gears for a smooth turn. I spend around 40% of my concentration on the gears with the rest on the road.
    I know that feel :console: I spent a good 10 mins last week just trying to change the gears as smoothly as possible.
    I was in 4th gear and wanted to shift down to 3rd but went to first and the car just stalled. That was embarrassing :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by This Honest)
    I know that feel :console: I spent a good 10 mins last week just trying to change the gears as smoothly as possible.
    I was in 4th gear and wanted to shift down to 3rd but went to first and the car just stalled. That was embarrassing :facepalm:
    I've been driving a year and the car still jumps when I change gears

My instructor said 'To go in third, put it in neutral then go straight down' as I used to go into 1st a lot by accident

ReputationRep:
    There is a roundabout near me, a big one, and the left lane goes off to a small exit and the motorway, the middle lane changes to the left lane after the motorway exit and so on, it's a bit confusing. I was in the middle lane today and I could see a car on the left very close to me, so I slowed down so I didn't get squashed between the car and the lorry on my other side whilst going round the roundabout. The car then came into my lane (cut me up). I could have forced him onto the motorway if that lorry wasn't on the other side of me :devil:. Then he'd be annoyed ahaa.

ReputationRep:
    Double mini roundabouts. Reverse parking also used to terrify me, I can do it now if I just do it calmly and forget to check every observation point 25 times...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Have you come across roundabouts with a lane through the middle? They're exciting.

Might be a Nottingham thing though. We call roundabouts islands anyway.
    It's not a lane through the middle, its like if you go left you don't have to give way, maybe I explained it crap :P This dude went straight in the left lane, not giving way, hence I almost ran into him!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.