Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Guys: do you find girly girls attractive? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexBlue)
    Funny how when it's something you want to hear, such a comment is fine, but if it's something negative it's suddenly irrelevant and baseless.

All right, how about this: yes, guys will find you attractive because you have the generic, airheaded personality 80% of girls these days take on because they're sheep with no original thought or will to dare to stand out from the crowd and whose sole desire is to attract men, and thus you're bland enough for guys not to have to worry about having their egos damaged by a girl who might be smarter or have a little more to them, so they can feel like "the man." But for any guy with a brain and a sense of culture and intellect, you will come across as boring, irritating and just one of the many bimbos out there despite your grand achievement in "model UN" and he will not be interested.

That detailed enough for you?
    I don't think many guys with a brain and a sense of culture and intellect find bitter and spiteful girls very attractive either.

OP don't trouble yourself so much with what others think, no matter how you behave or dress someone somewhere will take issue with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nomes89)
    I think she is insecure yes, but she's probably also quite young so give her a break. I'm not like this myself but not everyone has a lot of self-confidence and look to other people for re-assurance. I don't see why she should be torn apart for this. None of that makes her generic or an airhead and it certainly seems like you're putting self on a pedestal when you claim '80% of girls these days are like this' (obviously you believe yourself to be in the minority).

Yes you may have your opinions about 'girliness' - I don't particularly like to be that way either - but it get's a bit personal when you call someone bland, boring and a bimbo based on very little information and belittle her achievements.

Plus having a brain, a sense of culture and intellect doesn't mean you can't be a down to earth person who watches tv and does normal things.
    Ah, I think my post got deleted...

The 80% comment comes from how many girls just decide to fall in and act this way and piling on the make-up and liking fashion and Rihanna and 90210 and whatever the hell it is because they don't want to not fit in. We're almost encouraged to act this way lest we be ostracised - a girl below even comment "no one likes a bore who is only into academic-related things", as if it should be a given you should just shape yourself to be what people want you to be. I'm not kidding myself I'm special or different as there are lots of people similar to me, and I'm no better than anyone, but I'm annoyed at how so many people don't just have the will power to be themselves with their own interests, rather than following the crowd. I don't like it either when they seek approval from others for it.

Just be yourself and don't give a ****, for god's sake. I accept some girls will like that stuff for whatever reason, but there is an absurd number who go along with what's popular for the hell of it.
    • TSR Support Team

TSR Support Team
    Cut the bickering out please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by basil brush)
    are you mentally deficient? Which poster objected to op wearing feminine clothes?
    yes beautiful im so mentally defficient that i got into one of the worlds best universities to study a scientific subject, my second degree. Thats how mentally defficient i am. now lets explore your mental deficiencies...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeaX)
    Some of the girls' replies on here are so *****y. I really dislike it when people think they're superior to others because they don't have mainstream interests. It's so stuck-up and just absurd. It reminds me of the girls you get who tell everyone about their love of Call of Duty and watching football because they want to be seen as "one of the guys" as they think that will make them more attractive (obviously there are girls who generally like those things but you know the girls I'm talking about who just pretend).

As for the OP, at least you're being yourself. You understand some of your traits are perceived negatively and you still embrace them. I respect you more than someone who acts fake. Some people would respond to the "intellectual guys'" responses with changing who they are and trying to force themselves to suddenly become interested in politics or whatever.

Also, if I want to watch Gossip Girl and wear make-up I'm going to. It doesn't make me "insufferable" or any of the other adjectives used to describe the OP. I think the important thing is balance which the OP seems to have. No-one likes a bore who is only interested in academic related things and no-one wants a "totes superficial" kinda girl.
    Couldn't have been said better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    From just the title I would've said yes.

But then I read your post and you sound pretty insufferable tbh
    Are you serious? She sounds like a normal girl tbh What was insufferable about what she said?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm just curious. I understand it's hard to define but do you mind if girls are really feminine? I'm currently single though I haven't had much of a problem finding a boyfriend before, but some guys I've dated (usually the more intellectual ones) have mentioned/hinted that they aren't so keen on someone girly for various reasons. I'm not particularly *****y or a drama queen but they seem to assume I'll be like that.

I'm pretty hard-working, well-read and love playing sports, but being feminine is who I am (my parents brought me up to be a tomboy and I kind of rebelled against that). Having said that, I'm not sure if my personality is putting off a lot of nice guys so is there anything unattractive about the below personality traits? I'm-

• very into fashion, slightly vain though don't wear make-up except on nights out. I'm "high-maintenance" in the sense that I put a lot of effort into my appearance but I'm not the type to tell a guy off for messing up my hair or something
    • into popular music and culture and tend to watch tv shows such as Gossip Girl
    • able to stand up for myself directly but often come across as quite emotional (e.g. I was watching one of my guy friends play rugby the other day, he got tackled and looked injured and I screamed and clapped my hand over my mouth)
    • not a big fan of chasing after guys and prefer to just be friends with them and let them express interest if they want, though I don't play games
    • very petite and usually wear dresses and skirts
    • friends with both guys and girls but (without sounding sexist) prefer to hang out with my female friends (and those who are equally girly) because we share interests like clothes/make-up etc.
    • more interested in talking about stuff like celebrity gossip and what's happening in my friend groups than stuff that's strictly academic, though I can hold my own in an academic conversation too (I'm president of the Model UN society)
    • get annoyed when girls say they get on better with guys "because there is less drama" - how can you be a girl and not respect your own gender?
    • play a lot of sports but most are stereotypically girly ones like dance and cheerleading (they offer it at my uni)
    • very active on FB etc. and am the sort of person who takes a lot of photos with my friends of us pouting and stuff and makes comments like "you look great babes x". I can speak with perfectly good grammar, though - I feel it's just part of the fun of being a girl

Thank you
    OP you sound like me and 90% of other girls I know, I don't know why some people are getting so worked up tbh.

(Original post by Basil Brush)
    Lol exactly. OP wanted opinions on whether her characteristics were attractive or not, but as soon as someone has something against them she starts frothing at the gash
    Hardly. See page 2 of the thread (I responded to Bulbasaur after they actually wrote a pretty strong criticism of my OP, but at least they posted a reasoned argument and not some petty diatribe). What I'm not going to write a polite response to is a vague snipey remark given without any justification. Many of the people who replied to this thread (I don't think I need to name names) clearly have a problem with girls like me, but, instead of giving me a proper reason as to why (which I wouldn't mind hearing at all), make vague blanket statements based in paper-thin stereotypes. Furthermore, even if someone is the polar opposite of you that doesn't give you some right to adopt a holier-than-thou attitude and insult them continually. Popular does not always equal bad.

(Original post by Floretta)
    I don't think many guys with a brain and a sense of culture and intellect find bitter and spiteful girls very attractive either.

OP don't trouble yourself so much with what others think, no matter how you behave or dress someone somewhere will take issue with it.
    This. And like I said I'm not really worried about the replies to this thread, it was more out of curiosity and to spark a debate than anything else - although it does get annoying when people try to start a thinly disguised flame war unnecessarily :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Homeboy Hotel)
    Let me guess, do you have a white iphone?

And love making sure facebook know you went to a party over the weekend? And try so hard to make sure all your photos are potential cover photo/profile pictures?

Jeez...
    Anddddd whats wrong with those things? I hate how when some girls do things that are considered girly or mainstream they are automatically airheaded sheep. A girl could actually like those things you've mentioned and she would be no less feminine or intellectual than her opposite counterpart just because.

ReputationRep:
    I think there is a big difference between being feminine and being girly. Feminine is how a women acts, girly is how a child/teenager acts.

I think most men like feminine women, although I do think "girly girls" are quite stereotypical and can be irritating. Everyone has their own preferences though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Cut the bickering out please
    For some reason I love it whenever you say this.

In another thread you said "Stop bickering!" or something to that effect. It just made me laugh for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elitemodella)
    OP you sound like me and 90% of other girls I know, I don't know why some people are getting so worked up tbh.
    And that's supposedly a good thing?

ReputationRep:
    very into fashion, slightly vain though don't wear make-up except on nights out. I'm "high-maintenance" in the sense that I put a lot of effort into my appearance but I'm not the type to tell a guy off for messing up my hair or something
    That sounds quite reasonable. I put the effort in to look good when going on nights out, particularly now that I'm single Otherwise, on a daily basis, though I still take care of myself, I don't spend as long. Girls who do likewise come across as sensible and efficient in my mind. When we were playing/fooling around, I used to mess up my gf's hair and she would do the same to me - we were both really fussy about our hair, so we knew we would wind the other one up by doing it! It was all in fun though, so its nice to be able to fool around like that!

into popular music and culture and tend to watch tv shows such as Gossip Girl
    Everyone has their favourite tv shows! As long as I'm not forced to watch something I'm into (too many times!), then its fine. Also, would like it if the girl didn't ridicule my choice in tv shows!

able to stand up for myself directly but often come across as quite emotional (e.g. I was watching one of my guy friends play rugby the other day, he got tackled and looked injured and I screamed and clapped my hand over my mouth)
    I find that quite cute! I'd like to think that my girlfriend would get upset or worried if I got hurt. Some girls don't show it and it comes across as though they don't care.

very petite and usually wear dresses and skirts
    Good choice I personally like girls to dress like girls, feminine choices work best! This, of course, is not all the time. We all have our off days and want to kick back in casual clothes, but on nights out, dates etc, its nice if she makes an effort. I also like girls who wear quite simple jewellery - nice earrings look lovely! I got my ex gf so many earrings!

friends with both guys and girls but (without sounding sexist) prefer to hang out with my female friends (and those who are equally girly) because we share interests like clothes/make-up etc.
    Sounds like the perfect balance! I like girls who can get on with other girls - I say that because in the long run, if it turns out to be a serious relationship, it would be nice if she got along well with my family, which includes a fair few girls!! Of course, more than anything, it would make life easier if she got on well with my mum! One of my ex gf's did - she used to hang out with my mum a lot and they used to go shopping together sometimes too, which was nice as it meant no tension around the house when both of them were together!

more interested in talking about stuff like celebrity gossip and what's happening in my friend groups than stuff that's strictly academic, though I can hold my own in an academic conversation too (I'm president of the Model UN society)
    I like girls who can speak according to the situation - on a fun night out, I'd hate to get into a debate about something serious and likewise, if we get into a deep conversation about something interesting, it would sort of annoying if she ended up joking around and making it a laugh! From experience, I've met one or two girls who have no clue when to say what! Its funny at times, but in the end, its just annoying lol

get annoyed when girls say they get on better with guys "because there is less drama" - how can you be a girl and not respect your own gender?
    You are the first girl I've heard say this!!!!!! Thank you! This is exactly my view - I hate it when girls say to me they get on better with guys. Its an immediate turn off and, in my mind, tells me a number of things about her - she's not good with other girls, can be quite *****y, hence she prefers guy friends, likes the attention she gets from guys and plays the game as it were. Now I know this is not always the case and I certainly have no problem with girls having close guy friends, but saying she gets on better with guys and has a whole army of guy friends, is not only intimidating, but also sort of strange to me.

play a lot of sports but most are stereotypically girly ones like dance and cheerleading (they offer it at my uni)
    Would love to see my gf in a cheerleader outfit It's one of the reasons I want to go watch a NBA game in America! hahaha

very active on FB etc. and am the sort of person who takes a lot of photos with my friends of us pouting and stuff and makes comments like "you look great babes x". I can speak with perfectly good grammar, though - I feel it's just part of the fun of being a girl
    The posing and pouting would be the only slight issue for me - it would sort of uncomfortable if my guy mates or other guys in general could see pictures of gf striking hot poses and in outfits that leave little to the imagination. I say that because I know what guys are like (being one myself!). However, its not a major thing, and it'd be fine so long as I got to see the hottest poses and outfits in person, in private

ReputationRep:
    very active on FB etc. and am the sort of person who takes a lot of photos with my friends of us pouting and stuff and makes comments like "you look great babes x". I can speak with perfectly good grammar, though - I feel it's just part of the fun of being a girl

ReputationRep:
    I'm just curious. I understand it's hard to define but do you mind if girls are really feminine? I'm currently single though I haven't had much of a problem finding a boyfriend before, but some guys I've dated (usually the more intellectual ones) have mentioned/hinted that they aren't so keen on someone girly for various reasons. I'm not particularly *****y or a drama queen but they seem to assume I'll be like that.

I'm pretty hard-working, well-read and love playing sports, but being feminine is who I am (my parents brought me up to be a tomboy and I kind of rebelled against that). Having said that, I'm not sure if my personality is putting off a lot of nice guys so is there anything unattractive about the below personality traits? I'm-

• very into fashion, slightly vain though don't wear make-up except on nights out. I'm "high-maintenance" in the sense that I put a lot of effort into my appearance but I'm not the type to tell a guy off for messing up my hair or something
    • into popular music and culture and tend to watch tv shows such as Gossip Girl
    • able to stand up for myself directly but often come across as quite emotional (e.g. I was watching one of my guy friends play rugby the other day, he got tackled and looked injured and I screamed and clapped my hand over my mouth)
    • not a big fan of chasing after guys and prefer to just be friends with them and let them express interest if they want, though I don't play games
    • very petite and usually wear dresses and skirts
    • friends with both guys and girls but (without sounding sexist) prefer to hang out with my female friends (and those who are equally girly) because we share interests like clothes/make-up etc.
    • more interested in talking about stuff like celebrity gossip and what's happening in my friend groups than stuff that's strictly academic, though I can hold my own in an academic conversation too (I'm president of the Model UN society)
    • get annoyed when girls say they get on better with guys "because there is less drama" - how can you be a girl and not respect your own gender?
    • play a lot of sports but most are stereotypically girly ones like dance and cheerleading (they offer it at my uni)
    • very active on FB etc. and am the sort of person who takes a lot of photos with my friends of us pouting and stuff and makes comments like "you look great babes x". I can speak with perfectly good grammar, though - I feel it's just part of the fun of being a girl

Thank you
    1) Gossip Girl and celebrity gossip is to me = HUGE Red Flag

2) Also if you're into Jersey Shore or Geordie Shore or whatever it's called, I would have gone nuclear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maryamlondon)
    girls who hate girly girls are normally girls who want to be girly but cant get away with it and are jealous so try to put down feminine women but deep down they want to be beautiful and wear attractive clothes haha. For all the girls who are making rude comments on this thread
    I was fine just lurking this thread until I saw this ridiculous post. Just because you dislike girly girls does not make you jealous of them. If you dislike girly girls I doubt you want to "get away with it". What is there to even get away with?

Girly girls and feminine women are NOT the same thing.

So to be beautiful you have to be a girly girl? Right, I hope you can see what's wrong with that post. I couldn't give less of a crap about clothes, but there are plenty of attractive clothes that aren't "girly".

Oh and OP: I personally wouldn't date you, but loads of guys date girly girls and you have nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    Too generic and boring. Not my type.

Plus I like a WOMAN and not a girl. Girls are immature and annoying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm just curious. I understand it's hard to define but do you mind if girls are really feminine?
    Not really, as long as they have a good soul and aren't irritating

very into fashion, slightly vain though don't wear make-up except on nights out. I'm "high-maintenance" in the sense that I put a lot of effort into my appearance but I'm not the type to tell a guy off for messing up my hair or something
    What a girl does or doesn't do to invest in her appearance is her business (though if she's dating some effort is expected!)

However vanity is a vice and balance is important in life, in all things

into popular music and culture and tend to watch tv shows such as Gossip Girl
    Perfectly normal for a girl of uni-going age, doesn't necessarily mean it will reflect badly in your persona

I was watching one of my guy friends play rugby the other day, he got tackled and looked injured and I screamed and clapped my hand over my mouth)
    I'd be more worried if you didn't react to someone getting hurt tbh, although girls who scream at the drop of a hat 'ride in the trunk'

not a big fan of chasing after guys and prefer to just be friends with them and let them express interest if they want, though I don't play games
    Only natural really, although it's a wonderful thing when a girl allows a guy she finds special a glimpse of her true feelings (only a glimpse mind!)

very petite and usually wear dresses and skirts
    Not really into petite girls but that's just a matter of personal taste, plenty of guys are. Prefer a girl to 'dress feminine' for sure! (but tastefully)

friends with both guys and girls but (without sounding sexist) prefer to hang out with my female friends (and those who are equally girly) because we share interests like clothes/make-up etc
    Thinking about it, most of the small handful of girls I became involved with for any significant period of time preferred the company of their male friends in their late teens/early 20s as they found female circles to be a bit *****y/cliquey/gossipy/superficial etc, but I accept that this is a stereotype, not a hard and fast rule

Even if a girl's friends are those things one should be prudent, and not too quick to judge - not everyone gets to pick their friends, and you're hardly responsible for them

The acid test is whether a girl can be a positive influence on her friends and, in the contest of a relationship, ensure that they act with respect towards her partner

more interested in talking about stuff like celebrity gossip and what's happening in my friend groups than stuff that's strictly academic, though I can hold my own in an academic conversation too (I'm president of the Model UN society)
    There is a middle ground you know, there's far more to life than the dichotomy of celeb drivel vs. rocket science

Also, for the record, in case you are interested in expanding your horizons..

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people" ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

get annoyed when girls say they get on better with guys "because there is less drama" - how can you be a girl and not respect your own gender?
    That is their truth, provided those comments aren’t directed at you personally maybe you should relax respect their right to express candidly their experience of the world? Otherwise you’re half way to proving their point! :laugh:

play a lot of sports but most are stereotypically girly ones like dance and cheerleading (they offer it at my uni)
    Few of the girls at my uni who played stereotypically 'male' sports were all that attractive. Mind you the cheerleaders weren’t much to write home about either! Haha

very active on FB etc. and am the sort of person who takes a lot of photos with my friends of us pouting and stuff and makes comments like "you look great babes x"
    All part of being a kid, you’ll grow out of it hopefully.. unless you end up a chav princess in which case probably not

I can speak with perfectly good grammar, though
    Then do so, in the company of distinguished young gents

I can see why you have so many neg reps xD :rolleyes:
    A sense of humour is important too.. Remember, like vanity, pride is a vice. Only when you learn to laugh at yourself do you really learn to laugh!

(Original post by maryamlondon)
    Why would you care what a man wants from you!
    Easy to say with a ring on your finger.. :rolleyes:

You can’t blame girls for being concerned about social perceptions, it’s in their nature, and you don’t need me to tell you about the pressures society places on girls

Haha do you just see us as a quick shag though or actually relationship material? Lots of the "intellectual" guys I've met have only seemed to want one thing out of me lol...
    Now we're getting to the crux of the matter. You're having an identity crisis brought about by guys who treat you as they see you

Unfortunately (young) people (male and female) will allow first impressions to govern their behaviour, particularly if you don't amend these perceptions

It's possible to present yourself as a girly girl without presenting yourself as ditzy/easy/superficial/'good for one thing', but something of a fine art! :pierre:

(Original post by intstud29)
    2) Also if you're into Jersey Shore or Geordie Shore or whatever it's called, I would have gone nuclear
    Don't forget TOWIE. I've a new 'friend' (who's not exactly thick, she's an Oxbridge student) who wanted to come over t'other night but told me she couldn't leave for a little while as she didn't want to miss the end of TOWIE.. still tickles me *shakes head*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eelnais)
    I was fine just lurking this thread until I saw this ridiculous post. Just because you dislike girly girls does not make you jealous of them. If you dislike girly girls I doubt you want to "get away with it". What is there to even get away with?

Girly girls and feminine women are NOT the same thing.

So to be beautiful you have to be a girly girl? Right, I hope you can see what's wrong with that post. I couldn't give less of a crap about clothes, but there are plenty of attractive clothes that aren't "girly".

Oh and OP: I personally wouldn't date you, but loads of guys date girly girls and you have nothing to worry about.
    Well to begin with you clearly cannot as read my statement was toward girls who posted about the OP saying girls who are girly are soooo annoying and all watch gossip girl and so on I hate girls like that attention seekers bla bla bla, ok who hates anybody really? I sure know that I don't hate anybody and certainly not for their "girlyness", femeninity, masculinity, if they are tomboy, transgender I DONT CARE. So before getting all emotional about my post understand where it stems from...
    I never said you have to be girly to be pretty because beauty is beneath the skin so that would defeat the whole purpose of my original post which was to be yourself no matter what anybody thinks unless you are offensive and clearly disrupting others. however me being a girl whose had a lot of problems with other females because they don't like the way i dress or that I giggle a lot and am very outgoing or i dont care if this sounds big headed but when men stare at me, I dont think its just me I know all females draw male attention .. and it is because they are jealous otherwise whyyyy else would it bother them? makes no sense. how can how somebody else chooses to live their life affect you?

ReputationRep:
    Just to clarify, as stated clearly in my OP, I asked this thread out of curiosity. Obviously you guys can't see any of my other posts as I'm anon but I often post random questions on TSR for the fun of it; it's hardly looking to others for reassurance or being insecure, any more than asking whether people prefer Oxford or Cambridge when one has an offer from the former or if people prefer cats or dogs when one has five dogs. It's interesting hearing others' opinions (apart from when they're ill-informed rants).
    That's just the way it comes across, so apologies for getting it wrong. Most people are in some aspect so nothing wrong if it were the case.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.