Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Biggest problem faced by the world right now? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Engles)
    :eek:

................................ ..... Really? Bar the consolidation period after WWll can you really argue that?
    Very easily, considering I actually know something about economics and that I have the ability to observe the world around me.

How can you argue that we don't?

ReputationRep:
    TIME

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninjamonkey7)
    So today I was asked by my teacher to do a short essay on "The biggest problem faced by the world right now?" however I don't really have a clue what to write about. So if you could give me some suggestions that would be great! Thanks
    Progressive democracies in the West have developed some bureaucratic pathologies and totalitarian impulses seen in the USSR. Instead of genuine choice and democracy you have a "beige oligarchy". Consider a pretty basic issue like immigration. It's been hijacked by the media and establishment as a moral issue between evil racists and those who favour justice. The actual merits are not debated. And even worse, the majority have been dispossessed as there is no genuine choice. Every country Pew surveyed, even the most liberal, developed or undeveloped, want reduced immigration. But that isn't acceptable to the hostile media elite, or politicians who are beholden to corporate donors who want endless cheap labour.

There's a good essay on the overall failure of democracy today here by Charles Stross.

So, here's my hypothesis:

•Institutional survival pressure within organizations — namely political parties — causes them to systematically ignore or repel candidates for political office who are disinclined to support the status quo or who don't conform to the dominant paradigm in the practice of politics.

•The status quo has emerged by consensus between politicians of opposite parties, who have converged on a set of policies that they deem least likely to lose them an election — whether by generating media hostility, corporate/business sector hostility, or by provoking public hostility. In other words, the status quo isn't an explicit ideology, it's the combined set of policies that were historically least likely to rock the boat (for such boat-rocking is evaluated in Bayesian terms — "did this policy get some poor ******* kicked in the nuts at the last election? If so, it's off the table").

•The news cycle is dominated by large media organizations and the interests of the corporate sector. While moral panics serve a useful function in alienating or enraging the public against a representative or party who have become inconveniently uncooperative, for the most part a climate of apathetic disengagement is preferred — why get involved when trustworthy, reassuringly beige nobodies can do a safe job of looking after us?

•The range of choices available at the democratic buffet table have therefore narrowed until they're indistinguishable. ("You can have Chicken Kiev, Chicken Chasseur, or Chicken Korma." "But I'm vegan!") Indeed, we have about as much choice as citizens in any one-party state used to have.

•Protests against the range of choices available have become conflated with protests against the constitutional framework, i.e. dissent has been perceived as subversion/treason.

•Occasionally cultural shifts take place: over decades, they sometimes reach a level of popular consensus that, when not opposed by corporate stakeholders, leads to actual change. Marriage equality is a fundamentally socially conservative issue, but reflects the long-term reduction in prejudice against non-heteronormative groups. Nobody (except moral entrepreneurs attempting to build a platform among various reactionary religious institutions) stands to lose money or status by permitting it, so it gets the nod. Decriminalization of drug use, on the other hand, would be catastrophic for the budget of policing organizations and the prison-industrial complex: it might be popular in some circles, but the people who count the money won't let it pass without a fight.

ReputationRep:
    Over population. Everything else can be attributed to this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninjamonkey7)
    So today I was asked by my teacher to do a short essay on "The biggest problem faced by the world right now?" however I don't really have a clue what to write about. So if you could give me some suggestions that would be great! Thanks
    Not sure if it's been said but: antibiotic resistant bacteria.

This is a rapidly growing problem and if we don't find a solution soon, people will literally die of simple, curable diseases and infections :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Under-population

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Yolo leggings.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  243.3 KB
    These!

ReputationRep:
    Growing Population.

This means more people with finite resources = more competition, more poverty, huge strain on the finite number of resources, strain on almost every health-care industry ect.

Solution: Have an upper limit to the number of kids a couple can have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom2574)
    Over population. Everything else can be attributed to this.
    Exactly.

ReputationRep:
    North Korea.

ReputationRep:
    The world's ever growing population, poverty and lack of food, dwindling energy resources...

ReputationRep:
    The trends in population growth and resource scarcity (of all kinds). Throw in climate change to amplify the consequences, and you've got a real disaster mix right there.

ReputationRep:
    Climate change - our current economic crisis will look like a picnic in summer if the oceans become uninhabitable due to acidification or we cut off the gulf stream due to artic meltwater, to name but two of many potential consequences.

Look at Venus - not a pretty picture.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.