Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    A wild mathematics student appears...
    why be so sarky?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurawoods)
    why be so sarky?
    Why are you posting maths questions in a thread where someone is asking about applying to Oxford/Cambridge for maths?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by raiden95)
    Why would i have a low chance of meeting it? I got 98 in C3 and I believe I can get an A* in maths this year and manage A* in fm next year? My low UMS marks were at my old school where I had to teach myself and no one else did AS which is why I didn't do well. As of this year marks I have 91% UMS across maths fm physics chemistry I have a chance in summer to increase this do i not?
    But remember that A2 is harder than AS, although if you are now getting better teaching you may improve. However, Cambridge will not accept 'I did Maths early so that's why I got bad UMS' as an excuse - they will treat your AS results for Maths the same as if you took them at the same time as everyone else. And really, you should have been getting higher UMS than that if you were self teaching as you have more control over your learning pace and can work hard on sections where you are struggling, instead of wasting 5 hours a week like the rest of us in a classroom going at a snails pace. Perhaps losing 5% UMS wouldn't be so much of an issue, but in some exams you were only just scraping an A.
    Also, you will probably have more Summer exams than January ones, so hopefully you are already revising now to try to get those UMS marks up. If you are getting 91% average over all those subjects, then you are basically on target for only half of them to scrape an A* in, assuming you are getting consistent results within each individual subject.
    I still say that your UMS are very low for Cambridge, so you will have to work incredibly hard this summer to try to improve on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    But remember that A2 is harder than AS, although if you are now getting better teaching you may improve. However, Cambridge will not accept 'I did Maths early so that's why I got bad UMS' as an excuse - they will treat your AS results for Maths the same as if you took them at the same time as everyone else. And really, you should have been getting higher UMS than that if you were self teaching as you have more control over your learning pace and can work hard on sections where you are struggling, instead of wasting 5 hours a week like the rest of us in a classroom going at a snails pace. Perhaps losing 5% UMS wouldn't be so much of an issue, but in some exams you were only just scraping an A.
    Also, you will probably have more Summer exams than January ones, so hopefully you are already revising now to try to get those UMS marks up. If you are getting 91% average over all those subjects, then you are basically on target for only half of them to scrape an A* in, assuming you are getting consistent results within each individual subject.
    I still say that your UMS are very low for Cambridge, so you will have to work incredibly hard this summer to try to improve on that.
    What was yours like if you don't mind me asking? 95-100%?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    What was yours like if you don't mind me asking? 95-100%?
    I averaged 97% in my AS modules in relevant subjects (if you include french, general studies and critical thinking it drops to 94%). We did a poll on the NatSci facebook group, and most people got 95.1-97.5%, and the lowest was in the 90.1-92.5% group. However, this may be slightly skewed by people with lower scores being reluctant to admit it perhaps (29 people responded out of the 83 current members, although when we did the poll there were less members I think). Apparently, the average UMS is usually lower for humanities/ arts subjects, but higher for maths.
    see: http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...licants_v2.pdf
    most successful applicants have a mean AS UMS 'comfortably above 90%', the mean was 94-96%. 'Most successful applicants received A* in most of their GCSEs'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    I averaged 97% in my AS modules in relevant subjects (if you include french, general studies and critical thinking it drops to 94%). We did a poll on the NatSci facebook group, and most people got 95.1-97.5%, and the lowest was in the 90.1-92.5% group. However, this may be slightly skewed by people with lower scores being reluctant to admit it perhaps (29 people responded out of the 83 current members, although when we did the poll there were less members I think). Apparently, the average UMS is usually lower for humanities/ arts subjects, but higher for maths.
    see: http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...licants_v2.pdf
    most successful applicants have a mean AS UMS 'comfortably above 90%', the mean was 94-96%. 'Most successful applicants received A* in most of their GCSEs'
    Thanks for the info, I'll try and get to that average, I'll be applying regardless of if i get 90% or 95
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Thanks for the info, I'll try and get to that average, I'll be applying regardless of if i get 90% or 95
    If you don't apply you won't get in Good luck with your application.
    Remember, the percentages quotes were only a mean - some people will have got lower UMS. Write a good personal statement, do well at interview, and try and get something to make you stand out like some good work experience/ winning a national maths competition/ going well in olympiads or maths challenges/ having good extra-curriculars (although I'm not sure how much they actually look at this...). You still have a chance, you just have to try to get those UMS up and work a bit harder than everyone else to stand out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariucell)
    Cambridge is way better, I thought before that Oxford is the best, but all the great students from my country at maths have gone to Cambridge, quite Trinity College I think. Also, the harder papers and good opinions are regarded to Cambridge. I am bit sorry I hadn't the time to apply also for Cambridge I hope I helped, and in my humbleness, I am a Gold winner Olympian at Maths in Romania, the first country in Europe at the International Olympiad.
    At one point Oxford was the place of greater PRESTIGE to study Mathematics. Cambridge now has the greater reputation and Trinity college most of all because of Isaac Newton. Its this reputation which attracts the best people like those who go to the International Maths Olympiad- I have spoken to lecturers who did undergraduate at Cambridge but did Phd and lecture at Oxford, I have spoken to a British IMO student called Dominic Yeo who is doing Phd at LMH Oxford but went to Trinity Cambridge, leader of the IMO team- Geoff Smith- ALL say the same thing- THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DOING A MATHEMATICS DEGREE AT CAMBRIDGE OR OXFORD- the only difference is the nice reputation that Cambridge enjoys. Who knows- If one day there is some genius in a 100 years or so at Oxford who does something great there like Newton I am sure the tide will change and many will flock to Oxford. But if you are someone who enjoys studying Maths only- you wont care about this.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.