Do you hide the fact you come on TSR? Why? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you hide the fact you come on TSR?
    Yes, I use TSR secretly
    47.95%
    No, other people know I use TSR
    52.05%

ReputationRep:
    i know loads of my mates have used this site and we have discussed it , but that generally only happens after we've sat an exam and all gone searching for unofficial mark schemes ! :L after that , it never comes up in discussion

ReputationRep:
    I don't see it as that secretive a thing. I don't hide it, but I don't talk about it much either.

It does sometimes feel a bit weird, though. There's a fine line between my online and offline life. I used to do this flight simming stuff, and I made and still have friends who I found through there. Some of them treat me and their other friends like I treat my school friends, but I don't really see people I meet online as my friends in the same way I do people I know outside of flight simulation and TSR and stuff. Otherwise you get into the realm of being very strange, like for example someone I know from VATSIM (the name of this flightsim community) posted a status on Facebook saying something like, 'How can people be so heartless.' when some other guy I know off VATSIM's girlfriend broke up with him. I don't really see the relationship status of this guy I know from Warwickshire any of my business, but whatever the weather, I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Inspired by this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2304508 and from several conversations that I've had with people...

Do you use TSR secretly? I mean... do you avoid talking about using TSR with your friends and family? What makes you hide the fact you come on TSR? Is it embarrassment because you think it's a bit geeky, or is it that you're worried people will go looking for you and see all your crazy opinions? Are there other reasons?

:holmes:
    i keep it strictly on the qt. i do not want people to think that i am "a smug preening tosser ", to coin a phrase.

ReputationRep:
    No, because no one cares.

ReputationRep:
    My friends know I use TSR/forums in general, so do my family.

Nobody questions it, most teenagers/young adults in particular use some sort of forum at some point.
    I probably wouldn't go into an in-depth analysis of as to how often I use TSR/hoe involved I am, but I'm not ashamed to say I use the forum. :sly:

ReputationRep:
    I don't hide it. Some people know I use it but I don't go out of my way to say, hey I'm on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    I used to be really open about it at college using it all the time so family/old college friends know but never use it around people i know at uni.

Obviously the gf knows(sat behind me right now) but not everyone...

A few people found me on here once(from uni) and proceeded to stalk my posts including my nearly naked(just undies) progress pics in my fitness blog. other than that i just talk about F1/Motorbikes so would be incredibly boring for anyone to read so i don't really know why i hide it...

ReputationRep:
    I only use TSR to ask/answer questions about maths and physics. So no, I have no reason to hide the fact that I come on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    No but I'm anon on here purely because of the pathetic things I type on here. My friends have accounts though, my friend was a mod

ReputationRep:
    I don't tell anyone, but if they asked I'd tell them.

So I don't hide it, but neither do I flaunt it.

ReputationRep:
    I do not hide it, I only joined TSR a few days ago as it is the Easter holidays and I am quite frankly bored, there is no shame in using TSR! In fact I have got 2 of my friends to join up. :-)

ReputationRep:
    Like I said on the other forum, I don't tell anyone I use it because there's no need to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A handful of people know I use it but not my username as I signed up to talk about things that I didn't really feel comfortable talking to people I see everyday about

ReputationRep:
    I'm open about this being my forum of choice, but I don't know anyone else on here, and I keep my username secret.

ReputationRep:
    I don't hide the fact that i use it it's just that it's never really come up. If someone asked me if i did i would say yes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.