Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patel3000)
    they do add some stuff to it like flourine for our teeth, but it is safe to drink, i have never tasted bottled water so don't know what it would be like, does it have a taste?
    Depends where you live, 90% of the country receives water that has not been artificially "fluoridated", though a %age have naturally occurring calcium fluoride present ("treated" water is imbued with sodium fluoride).

Only 5 of the UK's 25 water providers treat their water with fluoride - and only in local authorities that specifically request it (most of the artificially fluoridated water is located in the North-East and Midlands, where tooth decay is rather prevalent)

ReputationRep:
    Where I live in the northeast of scotland the tap water is fantastic,

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My chemistry teacher says the same but that's because she is from Poland and says the water isn't safe so she's not used to drinking it. But other than that she can smell the chlorine. I personally like the taste because we live in a hard water area and I find the taste of the britta filter abominable. Whatever you prefer, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I find that tap water tastes better in some places than others, around here it has a slightly metallic taste to it (though it doesn't really bother me) and the quality of the water where my nan lives is much better.

ReputationRep:
    The tap water in my house is alright, but at times it's really chlorinated which makes it awful. It doesn't beat the water from the Highlands though - I have drank water from many streams way up in the hills and it tastes amazing! It is very close to drinking glacial melt water in Iceland, but the water here is still better!

ReputationRep:
    I hardly drink tap water in the UK at all, not in any of the 3 flats I've lived in. It just tastes so much worse than back home. If I have to, I add some lemon.

ReputationRep:
    I go to uni in Ipswich, but originate from Warwickshire (think West Midlands). The water in Ipswich is absolutely ****ing dreadful. Everything becomes encrusted in limescale in just a few weeks and it tastes ****ing ****ty after only a few minutes of being poured, even after letting the tap run for a few minutes. You could smell the chlorine from the tap when it was running too. When I come home to Warwickshire, the water, whilst not perfect, is worlds better. You can definitely tell the difference.

After a GF at the time convinced me Britta filters were worth investing in, my eyes were opened to just how much difference they make. I only drink filtered water now, and even water filtered back in Ipswich tastes better than straight from the tap water in Warwickshire.

Water varies in hardness (and therefore, needs various levels of treatment) throughout the country. Among the best places for tap water include Cornwall and Scotland. East Anglia and London have generally, **** water.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mariah246)
    :eek: really ? Well looks like I can't drink it again.
    Nor can you breathe oxygen - a chemical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Egg Militia)
    The water in Ipswich is absolutely ****ing dreadful. Everything becomes encrusted in limescale in just a few weeks and it tastes ****ing ****ty after only a few minutes of being poured
    I live near Ipswich and the water tastes fine, but I guess I have always lived in Suffolk and wouldn't know any better. But it really isn't THAT bad...

ReputationRep:
    It's Fluoride, not Chlorine.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/bottl...p-water-2013-1

ReputationRep:
    I guess it depends on where in the UK you are. I actually prefer tap water to bottled.. I don't know. Bottled water just tastes odd to me :eviltongue:

ReputationRep:
    might cost more, and not be healthier, but at least it tastes nicer...

ReputationRep:
    Dr. Pepper and Cherryade, for the win!

ReputationRep:
    As said, depends where you are. I don't mind hard water in North London but supposedly equivalent hard water in Southampton is disgusting...

ReputationRep:
    Get a water filterer and save some money buying bottled drinks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniMastermindBOSS)
    might cost more, and not be healthier, but at least it tastes nicer...
    You could just do what the guy above suggested, or simply get some squash to mix with it.

ReputationRep:
    I've lived in Suffolk for years and the water is so hard here. I like the taste of it, but hate how all our recently fitted taps, our kettle, our washing machine etc etc all get clogged up in limescale. Even my hot tub broke because of the hard water despite all the chemicals we had to add to soften the water. I did some research years ago and supposedly it is because of the flat land, the fens and the high content of calcium deposits in the local surroundings. Other than getting a water softener fitted to the outside of your home, there isn't much you can do to prevent the damage to appliances, however, for drinking water, as suggested above, get a water filter jug or some squash.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure bottled water is equally bad if not worse in the long term. The plastic use to make bottles hasn't got the greatest reputation.

(Original post by UniMastermindBOSS)
    Edit: just looked up a report on the website and it says our drinking water failed reports for containing Iron and Manganese :yucky:
    But why is water containing iron and manganese bad? :erm: Both are important micronutrients in the human diet. If anything, your water is providing your beneficial nutrients.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...trient&dbid=70
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...trient&dbid=77

ReputationRep:
    The water we get is hard water so its gross and we get major limescale.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.