Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help. My fiancé has expensive tastes and I don't. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manga)
    We've spent more on things for the house - he will only agree to have the 'best' of items. This is where most of the money goes. If we want to buy a pot/pan he refuses to have anything less than Le Cruset or a good brand like that. Our house is decked in Laura Ashley. To be fair a lot of our wardrobe is IKEA.
    Buy cheap buy twice. Properly good pans can last a lifetime.

ReputationRep:
    You could agree to put x amount into a joint account each month to buy essentials. Then the rest of your money you can spend how you want, he can buy his expensive shampoo etc. and you can save your's or do whatever with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manga)
    Which is exactly why we argue. I am not comfortable with the amount we have in savings at the moment.

We've spent more on things for the house - he will only agree to have the 'best' of items. This is where most of the money goes. If we want to buy a pot/pan he refuses to have anything less than Le Cruset or a good brand like that. Our house is decked in Laura Ashley. To be fair a lot of our wardrobe is IKEA.
    I wouldn't be comfortable with only having that amount of savings either, and my outgoings are considerably smaller than yours. If one or other of you lost your job/couldn't work, or if your lodger moved out, how would you manage?

And yes, it's nice to have nice things (well, I don't really care, but I know some people like that stuff) but I personally would never buy a new expensive thing while I had outstanding credit card debt and/or naff-all savings. My policy has always been, if you can't afford it now, save up for it and either do without or get a cheap/second hand one to tide you over in the meantime. And since you currently owe a hefty chunk on your credit cards, you basically can't afford anything now!

I reckon you guys would be best off with a joint account for bills, separate accounts for personal spending, and a separate savings account that gets paid into every month and does not get spent, ever, except in the direst of emergencies. If he runs out of spending money before the end of the month or goes into his overdraft on his own account, that's his problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persipan)
    I wouldn't be comfortable with only having that amount of savings either, and my outgoings are considerably smaller than yours. If one or other of you lost your job/couldn't work, or if your lodger moved out, how would you manage?

And yes, it's nice to have nice things (well, I don't really care, but I know some people like that stuff) but I personally would never buy a new expensive thing while I had outstanding credit card debt and/or naff-all savings. My policy has always been, if you can't afford it now, save up for it and either do without or get a cheap/second hand one to tide you over in the meantime. And since you currently owe a hefty chunk on your credit cards, you basically can't afford anything now!

I reckon you guys would be best off with a joint account for bills, separate accounts for personal spending, and a separate savings account that gets paid into every month and does not get spent, ever, except in the direst of emergencies. If he runs out of spending money before the end of the month or goes into his overdraft on his own account, that's his problem.
    I'm less worried about the debt - we can hopefully pay it off in 6-12 months time as its all interest free for 24 months.
    The part I worry about is not having spare cash if, say, I suddenly get laid off. Or if an emergency with the home comes up.

We have all those accounts (apart from the separate spends are) and know exactly what position we're in. The thing is, he doesn't want to hear it. He wants a joint everything.

I think the problem is that it's too easy to move money from the savers. From this thread, I've decided to move the savings money to an ISA instead of the online savers account. At least this way, I don't have the option to use it as an 'extension' of the spending if we go over.

It's been really useful getting all your thoughts/advice/opinions and reinforces my argument for the most part - so I'll stand my ground more and try to approach it from a different angle (more softly).

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blutooth)
    I spend over £60 on cologne. I guess the most frivolous purchases have been on laptops. No one ever needs a macbook pro, or a laptop over £1k yet we still indulge ourselves (especially if we've just come into the money through student loans). If smelling good is so important to this guy it's no big deal.
    Not at all - that's an awful comparison. Some people need high-end laptops/computers for work. I do. As a digital artist (modeler & animator) it's necessary to have a high-end graphics card, a large amount of RAM and a decent processor in order to actually run and use the programs necessary. Buying BODYWASH (something you just rinse off in the shower?!) at that price is just throwing money down the drain. Literally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leighcakes)
    Not at all - that's an awful comparison. Some people need high-end laptops/computers for work. I do. As a digital artist (modeler & animator) it's necessary to have a high-end graphics card, a large amount of RAM and a decent processor in order to actually run and use the programs necessary. Buying BODYWASH (something you just rinse off in the shower?!) at that price is just throwing money down the drain. Literally.
    I think girls who are into computers are cool :thumbsup:. There should be more of them. However, I stand to my original thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blutooth)
    I think girls who are into computers are cool :thumbsup:. There should be more of them. However, I stand to my original thoughts.
    Remind me never to let you be my financial adviser, then! Haha.

That'd be like two shifts at work spent on one bottle of body-wash, for me. Craziness!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leighcakes)
    Remind me never to let you be my financial adviser, then! Haha.

That'd be like two shifts at work spent on one bottle of body-wash, for me. Craziness!
    While working I was only getting £300 a week, so more than a day's work for me. haha.

ReputationRep:
    We have a joint account for all of our direct debits and separate accounts for the rest of our money. I also have a separate e-savings account.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.