Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilyG123)
    I'm doing History D1 and D2 of 6HI01/D - A World Divided: Communism and Democracy in the Twentieth Century on Tuesday 14th! Bricking it, so anybody got any tips? There's just so much to revise!
    Hi, I'm doing the same exam and I'm bricking it too :P Don't worry, I'm sure everything will be fine. Which sections are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hlyono)
    Dream civil rights question would be a factors of success 55 - 68. In an ideal world, what would be on an exam for you?

I was thinking causes, but I'm not 100%. I'm thinking it might be something like 'What role did [xyz] play in Stalin instigating the first Five-Year-Plan?' I'm sure it'll be fine. Maybe know some stats on industrialisation too, because that's been quite rare as far as I can tell.
    Just some advice for Civil Rights,

1945-55 has come up three times, and on the last examination on it (June 2012) they said candidates had a secure grasp of the topic so I think it's highly unlikely it will come up!

I have a feeling something on Opposition will come up and whether it was the MOST IMPORTANT factor for failure, so I'd argue:

Opposition, how it led to failure. Try not to focus on one type of opposition, maybe use Police Forces (Pritchett and Connor) and the FBI (COINTERLPO and how their infiltration led to divisions) and Congree (Weaking Bills, Filibusters, HOWEVER, they did back the 64 and 65 Bill, so there's nice evaluation)

And then do for the other two factors:

Internal Divisions - Destructive tensions BUT also Creative Tensions so you're providing a nice counter argument.

Failure of Presidents - Domestic issues not as important as international ones - Johnson occupied with Vietnam war - HOWEVER, you could argue this failure was due to MLK for criticising the war and so the failure can't all be attributed to Presidents. Talk about Kennedy and maybe Eisenhower (depends on the timeframe, they will probably do the 1960's so Eisenhower and LR9 shouldn't be mentioned) AND THEN counter argue that and say how they did pass bills which led to almost de jure desegregation blah blah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawlser)
    Just some advice for Civil Rights,

1945-55 has come up three times, and on the last examination on it (June 2012) they said candidates had a secure grasp of the topic so I think it's highly unlikely it will come up!

I have a feeling something on Opposition will come up and whether it was the MOST IMPORTANT factor for failure, so I'd argue:

Opposition, how it led to failure. Try not to focus on one type of opposition, maybe use Police Forces (Pritchett and Connor) and the FBI (COINTERLPO and how their infiltration led to divisions) and Congree (Weaking Bills, Filibusters, HOWEVER, they did back the 64 and 65 Bill, so there's nice evaluation)

And then do for the other two factors:

Internal Divisions - Destructive tensions BUT also Creative Tensions so you're providing a nice counter argument.

Failure of Presidents - Domestic issues not as important as international ones - Johnson occupied with Vietnam war - HOWEVER, you could argue this failure was due to MLK for criticising the war and so the failure can't all be attributed to Presidents. Talk about Kennedy and maybe Eisenhower (depends on the timeframe, they will probably do the 1960's so Eisenhower and LR9 shouldn't be mentioned) AND THEN counter argue that and say how they did pass bills which led to almost de jure desegregation blah blah.
    I'm really good with 1945-55. It's typical that it probably won't come up. I'm going to try and do 55-68 today with Vietnam and Korea...

The last day of revising...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Faust)
    I'm really good with 1945-55. It's typical that it probably won't come up. I'm going to try and do 55-68 today with Vietnam and Korea...

The last day of revising...
    I know

I'd just say try and focus on Internal Divisions/Opposition/Fed Govt/NAACP/WW2.

ReputationRep:
    I know

I'd just say try and focus on Internal Divisions/Opposition/Fed Govt/NAACP/WW2.
    No Black Power/Malcolm X/King's Northern campaigns? Those are the biggest gaps in my knowledge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justanotherindigo)
    I'm doing Option E for Unit 1: unification of Italy and unification of Germany
    Unit 2: Changing position of women (option C)

I've absolutely loved Unit 1, it's really really interesting! In stark contrast, Unit 2 is booooring :/ How are you finding Russia?
    Hello, I'm doing the unification of Italy and Germany too for Unit 1 do you have any rough ideas of what the questions may be on? I'm sooo nervous, also do you know any good websites for revision notes etc?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the Wars of the Roses option and the Henry VII option. I wish I had more time to revise and remember dates! WotR shouldn't be too bad as it is a personal interest of mine, but I am dreading Henry VII

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rubsss123)
    Hello, I'm doing the unification of Italy and Germany too for Unit 1 do you have any rough ideas of what the questions may be on? I'm sooo nervous, also do you know any good websites for revision notes etc?

Thanks
    I actually have no idea, it could be about Victor Emmanuel or France promoting unity so somthing like that! And Germany could be about the wars and how it promoted unity or something along those lines I actually have really good revision noted that I could send to you know You can just inbox me your email and I'll send them to you right away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Faust)
    No Black Power/Malcolm X/King's Northern campaigns? Those are the biggest gaps in my knowledge
    Black Power came up in June and there'd never be a question focused on Malcolm X, I don't think.

King's Northern Campaigns would usually come under peaceful protest to show how indeed, some of them were successes but some were also failures.

You can always try and weave it in but a detailed question on his Northern Campaigns, is again, unlikely IMO.

The ones I listed in previous post have just come up once in the whole series so I'd say they'll repeat at least one/two.

They might do: NAACP, most important reason for success
    :Opposition/Internal Divisions = most important reason for failure?

ReputationRep:
    Do you think that a question asking about the bolsheviks responsibility for the downfall of the provisional government to come up for russia in revolution???? I hope it does

I really hope lendlease or soviet economy during ww2 comes up but it came up in Jan 2013

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justanotherindigo)
    I actually have no idea, it could be about Victor Emmanuel or France promoting unity so somthing like that! And Germany could be about the wars and how it promoted unity or something along those lines I actually have really good revision noted that I could send to you know You can just inbox me your email and I'll send them to you right away
    I've just messaged you my email address, you are a life saver!! Thank you soooo much xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A193)
    Do you think that a question asking about the bolsheviks responsibility for the downfall of the provisional government to come up for russia in revolution???? I hope it does

I really hope lendlease or soviet economy during ww2 comes up but it came up in Jan 2013
    Yea, Russia's victory in WW2 has been done to death IMO. Came up 3 consecutive times in recent years.....

I think maybe:

"Were economic/political/ideological factors the main reason for Stalin implementing the FYPs"?

OR

"How far did the position of women change during Soviet Russia"?
    "How far is it accurate to say that women/children were the most important factor to the strength of the soviet economy?"

ReputationRep:
    Yea, Russia's victory in WW2 has been done to death IMO. Came up 3 consecutive times in recent years.....

I think maybe:

"Were economic/political/ideological factors the main reason for Stalin implementing the FYPs"?

OR

"How far did the position of women change during Soviet Russia"?
    "How far is it accurate to say that women/children were the most important factor to the strength of the soviet economy?"
    I also think one of those essays could come up. Do you think there is a chance of the leadership race coming up. It usually comes up once in every 2 papers and it hasn't come this January.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingboss)
    I also think one of those essays could come up. Do you think there is a chance of the leadership race coming up. It usually comes up once in every 2 papers and it hasn't come this January.
    Leadership race does fall into the reasons for implementation of the FYP - switching from right to left due to the failure of NEP and undermining Bukharin etc etc so if they asked the reasons behind FYP then I don't think Power Struggle will come up,

However,

Power Struggle has come up in:

Jan 2010 - Personalities
    Jan 2011 - Division over NEP
    June 2012- Opponent unable to prevent Stalin

So I think they've kind of done it to death?

I'm also wary about Superpower and whether military/economical/political reasons were the most important factor in the emergence? because it is in the specification and they haven't asked it yet...

Culture and Purges unlikely to come up due to Totalitarianism coming up in Jan, and also War is unlikely because it came up in Jan.

Collectivisation has been done 3 times, BUT, they haven't asked the reasons behind Collectivisation so ya never know...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    Leadership race does fall into the reasons for implementation of the FYP - switching from right to left due to the failure of NEP and undermining Bukharin etc etc so if they asked the reasons behind FYP then I don't think Power Struggle will come up,

However,

Power Struggle has come up in:

Jan 2010 - Personalities
    Jan 2011 - Division over NEP
    June 2012- Opponent unable to prevent Stalin

So I think they've kind of done it to death?

I'm also wary about Superpower and whether military/economical/political reasons were the most important factor in the emergence? because it is in the specification and they haven't asked it yet...

Culture and Purges unlikely to come up due to Totalitarianism coming up in Jan, and also War is unlikely because it came up in Jan.

Collectivisation has been done 3 times, BUT, they haven't asked the reasons behind Collectivisation so ya never know...
    Do you reckon the reasons behind Collectivisation could come up then? I really hope so!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy96)
    Do you reckon the reasons behind Collectivisation could come up then? I really hope so!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not too sure... They might just do the Plans for economical question because it hasn't come up since Jan 2012 whereas collectivisation came up in June 2012..
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    I'm not too sure... They might just do the Plans for economical question because it hasn't come up since Jan 2012 whereas collectivisation came up in June 2012..
    I'll cry if they do, I've not covered them in a lot of detail! Looks like I'm going to have to do some intense revision on them just in case

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy96)
    I'll cry if they do, I've not covered them in a lot of detail! Looks like I'm going to have to do some intense revision on them just in case
    I'd say revise the reasons behind the implementation of the FYP:

Econimical
    Political
    Ideological

because they've asked about the changing priorities of them and also whether they improved the industry, which addresses the specific points in the specification, thus I can't see what else they can ask about unless the reasons behind them?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say revise the reasons behind the implementation of the FYP:

Econimical
    Political
    Ideological

because they've asked about the changing priorities of them and also whether they improved the industry, which addresses the specific points in the specification, thus I can't see what else they can ask about unless the reasons behind them?
    What evidence like statistics can you provide for each factor????

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. How do you guys write your essays? In terms of, how do you split your paragraphs up and how many paragraphs do you write?

I think you're supposed to do a lot of paragraphs, but I tend to write only a few. Hmm. Troubling.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.