Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do "young" people get so pissed off when they get ID'd? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by po10tial)
    Hi,

I work in a store and today I had a very abusive customer.

Was a girl and she became extremely abusive when I ID'd her and said that 'the owner and a younger boy (A MASSIVE LIE) had served her before and that if I call them they will confirm that she is over the legal age'.

It became obvious that she lied as soon as she said that a younger boy served her. In fact I am the youngest member of staff. When I told her that she said that the 'young boy' was shorter than me and looked 'older'. She completely contradicted her point and she swore at me in front of other customers.

Eventually she left by threatening me that she would tell the owner of the store. Won't work, because the owner's related to me and I have been working here for a year now. I'm an asset to this store.

My manager eventually came back from his lunch break and I told him the incident. Turns out, the girl is of legal age and he said that she has been abusive to other members of staff.

I don't get why she comes her when there are like 5 other shops just across the road. I for one, really hate serving very rude people. I was being polite and asked her nicely if she could provide me with ID. She failed to do just that
    I would be quite flattered if I was ID'ed, but unfortunately it doesn't tend to happen very much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice Constricter)
    Sometimes it can be annoying being ID'd because of the embarrassment and the shock especially if a lot of people are around.

A few months ago back when I was 19 (I'm 20 now) I got asked for I'D when buying a blooming energy drink. It's called black something, it's like a beer can. Anyway I was so shocked at this I didn't even protest, so I was there fumbling through my wallet trying to find my driving license, not a pleasant experience. Eventually I showed her my I'D and she was even kind enough to apologize.
    I remember on a school trip when I was 12 we stopped at a service station and my friend and I bought a 4-pack of Red Bull, no problem. Back on the bus, the guys behind us were complaining loudly because they'd tried to buy the same 4-packs in the same shop and been refused, and they looked older than me and my friend. Still don't understand what that was about. Is there actually an age limit on energy drinks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetestwave)
    I remember on a school trip when I was 12 we stopped at a service station and my friend and I bought a 4-pack of Red Bull, no problem. Back on the bus, the guys behind us were complaining loudly because they'd tried to buy the same 4-packs in the same shop and been refused, and they looked older than me and my friend. Still don't understand what that was about. Is there actually an age limit on energy drinks?
    Yes, there is.

You have to be 16 to buy it. It's not that strict in corner shops because the majority of kids end up buying Boost energy drink which is like 50p.

I haven't been refused sale when I bought Red Bull at the age of 15, probably because most kids couldn't afford it.

ReputationRep:
    The law is very strict with underage smoking and so on and at the same time very flawed.

Its extremely difficult ID'ing people and so on that some shops, YES SOME SHOPS don't bother ID'ing.

A few nights ago, I went with two girls into a corner shop at about 2A.M.

One girl wanted to buy booze and told me to go with her to the counter. She asked the guy for Jack Daniels, and she wasn't even ID'd even though she was half my height and looked ever so young. Was actually 18 (JUST!)

However, I noticed a bunch of chavs right behind me with no ID except some school ID and they also bought some booze. They actually were school children as I can tell from their height and so on. They even baitly laughed out loud and personally told me on the way out that they were in fact 16 and on their way to a rave. Awkward, I know! Don't know how they got away with it though.

ReputationRep:
    Because it turns what should be a peaceful, convivial night out in to a confrontation before the evening is even started. Its utterly absurd considering the number of paralytic 17 year olds that still somehow seem to get in.

ReputationRep:
    I think some people are just unreasonable and like to start trouble. I'm 20 but I look about 16/17 so I usually get ID'd. It doesn't bother me, I don't see why anyone would get offended by it.

ReputationRep:
    Just say to them you have an under 25 rule. It's not quite as insulting to look under 25.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, there is.

You have to be 16 to buy it. It's not that strict in corner shops because the majority of kids end up buying Boost energy drink which is like 50p.

I haven't been refused sale when I bought Red Bull at the age of 15, probably because most kids couldn't afford it.
    Never knew that. I did try to google it, but got a lot of conflicting answers

Can't be very strict in general, considering I've been buying energy drinks regularly since the age of 12(not usually from a local corner shop or anything either) and I didn't even know that I wasn't supposed to.

ReputationRep:
    I used to get i'd everytime and it was really frustrating if i had forgotten my id - then last week i got served without it for the first time and i was devastated - thinking i'm looking really old now lol.

ReputationRep:
    It happens to me, too. Had a woman make a fuss as she said she was 32- although she looked around 25 imo. Over 18 maybe, but we still have to ask. My manager came over and totally stuck by me. She explained that she 'never goes against cashiers'. If in doubt, I always call over a supervisor, who generally backs you up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    I only ever get frustrated when someone asks me for ID, I provide it, then they question it on completely arbitrary grounds. I had my provisional licence refused in Asda because it didn't have the EU flag on it like the pink one did on the poster on the till - I tried to explain that it wouldn't, because I can't drive in the EU on a provisional UK licence, but to no avail. Call a supervisor over and they say that once ID has been refused they can't overrule it. Submitted a complaint, heard nothing back, and had to phone up to make the point that staff working on checkouts need to be trained on what is and isn't valid ID.

Had it refused entry to a bar in a remote area because the address on it wasn't local enough.

On the other hand, been accepted into Walkabout just by showing my Holiday Inn Express card, which is plain white with a magstripe and a green arrow on it.
    That's nothing I had the misfortune of having to get a new passport just after I finished chemo - needless to say I look rather different bald than I do now with a massive Afro.

I've even had immigration refuse me entry into the country on the basis that I didn't look like my picture. The only good that came out of that whole fiasco was that the border agenecy gave me a form to fill out to get a free new one.

ReputationRep:
    I IDed someone the other day who was 27 and he majorly went off on one. In fairness, he did look over 18, perhaps around 21/22. But you know what? At the end of the day, I can't afford a massive fine and to lose my job, my bosses can't afford a fine and to lose their license so screw it. I'm not gonna risk it over hurting someone's pride. I'm gonna be getting IDed until I'm about 30-35 so they should get over it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, there is.

I didn't know this, and I practically ran off energy drinks between the ages of 14 and 17.

Although this has reminded me of the time I was ID'd for GLOWSTICKS.

ReputationRep:
    We have a policy- look under 25 then you get Id'd.

I asked this guy for ID, and his Dad went mental at me. It ended up me telling them to 'F off'' lol, only a few weeks in the job, I had sooo many arguments with people.

To me, the guy looked early 20's. (He turned out to be 24). So perfectly reasonable for me to ID?!

But we have to ID if you look under 25, which to me, even 30 year olds can look 25. And yeh its ridiculous because theyre like ''omd do i look 18'' and its like, ''no you look about 24, so i have to ID'' and i know its ridiculous, but some of my friends look VERY old, and when i was at college, I had friends that were 17 who could easily pass for late 20's.

So yeh, I ID because I dont want any risk of a criminal record. It got to the point where i just started ID-ing everyone.

I always hate when the managers come over and theyre like ''yeh dont worry, just serve them, theyre old enough'' and at the end of the day, it would be me that gets done for it. If they wanna risk it, they can, but im not.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 21 and never get ID'd these days, maybe it's because I actually look like a world-weary 30 year old. I didn't get ID'd on my 18th birthday either!

But, to get ID'd is kind of belittling and makes people feel like they're being treated like a child. Also, it's kind of annoying as a customer for someone to demand a document from you just so you buy some beer. But, the law is the law.

ReputationRep:
    I think all the threat of criminal records has scared a lot of people to the point where they've stopped using common sense. My mother was refused bottles of wine with her weekly food shop last year because she had taken my little sister (16) with her and the cashier "...couldnt be sure my mum wasn't going to give the wine to my sister".
    Needless to say my mum kicked up a huge fuss and Tesco were very apologetic.

The whole 'Challenge 25' thing is utterly ridiculous. Whats wrong with just asking someone for ID if you arn't sure whether they are 18. I'm a good bit older than 25 and still get ID'd. It's incredibly annoying when I have my children with me and I'm there struggling to find my driving license to buy a lottery ticket! Some people just need to use their brain a bit more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1on4)
    The whole 'Challenge 25' thing is utterly ridiculous. Whats wrong with just asking someone for ID if you arn't sure whether they are 18. I'm a good bit older than 25 and still get ID'd. It's incredibly annoying when I have my children with me and I'm there struggling to find my driving license to buy a lottery ticket! Some people just need to use their brain a bit more.
    One of the reasons is to put off under 18s from trying to buy them in the first place, as very few 17 year olds will look older than 25. I also think many stores (and staff too) are looking to 'over ID' on the grounds it's better to be safe than sorry. Supermarkets especially would get some pretty negative press if caught, although you get the occasional story of supermarkets ID'ing pensions and not being able to overrule it due to store policy...

ReputationRep:
    I get annoyed by the fact that many places (usually outside of London), seem to only accept Drivers Licences or Passports. I use a Citizencard, which is an official form of ID in this country, and has the Pass logo. I bought this because it was cheaper than a drivers licence. Really does my head in.

ReputationRep:
    i think the worst experience i've had is when i was ID'd for non-toxic PVA glue, i was nineteen at the time but apparently i 'might have been under fifteen'. i'm 6ft tall and look my age, let alone within four years of it, so not sure where that came from!

ReputationRep:
    At 22, it frustrates me when I get I.D'd, especially in pubs but if the policy is look 25, then well, its T.S.

The post above me has just reminded me. I once worked at B&Q and knew the age restrictions inside out on the products. My own store rejected me for an item at 18, they said it was 21... regardless of me telling them they were wrong. Ha. Now that is frustrating.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.