Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Nuke New York City Or Kill Family? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I would have to kill my family... There are so many babies and toddlers and little kids in NYC that I would have to save them regardless of the cost to me. My family are all adults, though the tragedy would be more personal to me if they all died, it would be a much smaller tragedy in the grand scheme of things. I would absolutely commit suicide afterwards as I would have nothing to live for though.

ReputationRep:
    Vague hypothetical scenarios like this are so far removed from reality you can't really tell what you would do.

I don't know how my family die. I don't know how I find myself in this position in the first place. I don't know what would happen if I just refused to answer. I don't know if they will just nuke NYC / kill my family anyway regardless of my answer. I don't know if they will go out and ask others the same question until NYC gets blown up anyway. I don't know who's even asking me the question (the person who is ultimately responsible for whatever suffering I "choose"). I don't know if a divine being will have me burn in Hell forevermore for choosing the wrong answer. And so on.

I know the "right" answer, "objectively" speaking, is to kill my family. But I don't live my life objectively, I live subjectively, and the world only exists to me as long as I am around to experience it. The concept of objective existence is a funny thing. If I'm given a knife and told to stab my family to death, I probably won't intend to stick around for much longer afterwards regardless of how many lives I've "saved", and all I'll have to part with is the knowledge that a bunch of people I've never met are apparently going to live on afterwards - but find yourself in a crazy unrealistic one-or-the-other scenario like this and you'll question everything you thought you knew about the universe regardless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcus2001)
    I'd nuke my family
    This genuinely made me laugh to the point of tears.

Was the joke intended or was it a simple mix up?

ReputationRep:
    What if family is in New York City ?, that would be messy.

ReputationRep:
    Neither, when someone holds a gun to your head, you dont have two options( do what he/she says, or die)
    There are hundreds of other options
    You take the gun, pull out a bigger gun, open your jacket and reveal you got a suicide bomb attached to your chest.

In short you always have more options if you like to think outside the box

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lebron_23)
    This genuinely made me laugh to the point of tears.

Was the joke intended or was it a simple mix up?
    Intended

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manutillidie)
    Neither, when someone holds a gun to your head, you dont have two options( do what he/she says, or die)
    There are hundreds of other options
    You take the gun, pull out a bigger gun, open your jacket and reveal you got a suicide bomb attached to your chest.

In short you always have more options if you like to think outside the box
    That's not the point of these kind of chat threads of mine. They're to showcase difficult decisions and you must pick either one or the other. You cannot create loopholes or ad-lib - that just makes it easy and it becomes pointless.

The whole point is, either New York or your family - which will you save; not, become John McClane and save both New York and your family and the world!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awsmness)
    What if family is in New York City ?, that would be messy.
    The whole point is that it's not, otherwise it'd be a bit silly.

There's no reason for people to try and make it difficult and add on to the scenarios and create a convoluted scenario. It's simple - save your family's life or save New York.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcus2001)
    Intended
    Ah, that was a good one. I thank you, good sir, for brightening my day.

I'd give rep, but I ran out 'coz I'm just that happy..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redolent)
    Vague hypothetical scenarios like this are so far removed from reality you can't really tell what you would do.

I don't know how my family die. I don't know how I find myself in this position in the first place. I don't know what would happen if I just refused to answer. I don't know if they will just nuke NYC / kill my family anyway regardless of my answer. I don't know if they will go out and ask others the same question until NYC gets blown up anyway. I don't know who's even asking me the question (the person who is ultimately responsible for whatever suffering I "choose"). I don't know if a divine being will have me burn in Hell forevermore for choosing the wrong answer. And so on.

I know the "right" answer, "objectively" speaking, is to kill my family. But I don't live my life objectively, I live subjectively, and the world only exists to me as long as I am around to experience it. The concept of objective existence is a funny thing. If I'm given a knife and told to stab my family to death, I probably won't intend to stick around for much longer afterwards regardless of how many lives I've "saved", and all I'll have to part with is the knowledge that a bunch of people I've never met are apparently going to live on afterwards - but find yourself in a crazy unrealistic one-or-the-other scenario like this and you'll question everything you thought you knew about the universe regardless.
    As I keep saying again and again, there's no need for making it more complex than it should be. There's no need to ad-lib or create convoluted scenarios. It's simply quasi-philosophical.

It's really quite simple - save your family or save New York. Don't turn it on its head and ask unnecessary questions like how did you get into such a situation, who is forcing you to make the decision, how unrealistic it is - it's just a hypothetical situation. Everybody else has managed to answer whilst giving explanations. It's a hypothetical.

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I love my family but I must opt to save ten million at the expense of five than save five at the expense of ten million.

ReputationRep:
    Goodbye New York, it's a shame I never got to visit

ReputationRep:
    Push comes to shove I'd Nuke New York. As much as I'd like to say I'd kill my family as it's for the greater good etc. I don't think I'd be able to.

Fact is. This is a decision we've already made in some ways. The odds of death in live kidney donation are 1 in 3000. That means that you already value your life as being over 3000 times more valuable than that of somebody elses if you've made the decision not to donate one of your kidneys.

I'm aware it's not a direct comparison, but to those who say they'd kill their family... as much as it may be the logical thing to do. Are you sure that's what you would do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    I love my family but I must opt to save ten million at the expense of five than save five at the expense of ten million.
    Interesting.

Influenced by the utilitarian approach, I take it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    As I keep saying again and again, there's no need for making it more complex than it should be. There's no need to ad-lib or create convoluted scenarios. It's simply quasi-philosophical.

It's really quite simple - save your family or save New York. Don't turn it on its head and ask unnecessary questions like how did you get into such a situation, who is forcing you to make the decision, how unrealistic it is - it's just a hypothetical situation. Everybody else has managed to answer whilst giving explanations. It's a hypothetical.

Exactly, and I'm saying hypothetical scenarios don't reflect reality. Any decision I mention might not happen if this scenario actually happened.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    Interesting.

Influenced by the utilitarian approach, I take it?
    Actually not really. I don't like the idea that what is ethical could be decided by a spreadsheet. I'm only attempting damage control and trying not to allow my ego to interfere with my choice, as I believe the moral choice exists indepedently of who it is who is making the decision.

ReputationRep:
    By family do you mean everyone who is related to you or just your immediate family?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatRandomGuy)
    By family do you mean everyone who is related to you or just your immediate family?
    If it was everybody related to you then the people in New York would all die as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    so what? They have been pushing others around for so long, it's about time karma balanced the books.

You can't act like a bully, and not expect the the cows to come home to roost.
    Faulty logic there. The US goverment have been the ones doing the bullying, not neccisarily the American people.

ReputationRep:
    Nuke

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.