Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

F334 (19/06/2013 9:00AM) - Salters Chemistry (Chemistry of Materials) Revision Thread Watch

• View Poll Results: How did you find this paper?
    Very easy (~74 for an A)
    18.75%
    Easy (~71 for an A)
    22.92%
    Average (~65 for an A)
    43.75%
    Hard (~61 for an A)
    12.50%
    Very Hard (~58 for an A)
    2.08%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abzy1234)
    I'm literally sick with all the chemistry revision. Constantly regurgitating stuff one learnt from last year certainly ain't fun
    Same here. And I absolutely hate F334. Thought it was harder than F335! But yesterday's F335 was horrible too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11hokj1)
    Same here. And I absolutely hate F334. Thought it was harder than F335! But yesterday's F335 was horrible too

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know right! F335 has badly demotivated me for the F334 exam, knowing that the former has the heavier weighting doesn't help either. Well I guess all we can do is aim to do the best for this exam and hope we get the grade we want

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a link to the Jan 2013 F334 paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LCFCKris)
    Does anyone have a link to the Jan 2013 F334 paper?
    Here you go
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf F334 Jan 2013 QP.pdf (344.6 KB, 172 views)

ReputationRep:
    Need to get above 80 marks probably to make up for losing stupid stupid marks in F335.

ReputationRep:
    Right, okay I'm gonna smash revision for this today - as with most my exams I produce a list of generic recurring answers

I'll upload them here when I finish not long now people!!

ReputationRep:
    also, here are the Chemical Ideas answers (I don't think they're from the same edition) so might be a little off
    Attached Images
  2. File Type: pdf chemical-ideas-answers.pdf (745.1 KB, 366 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tikara)
    Right, okay I'm gonna smash revision for this today - as with most my exams I produce a list of generic recurring answers

I'll upload them here when I finish not long now people!!
    Cheers dude, that'll be really helpful!

ReputationRep:
    Cheers dude, that'll be really helpful!
    okay, I just compiled some chemical tests and some generic questions and answers to experimental technique questions (courtesy of billybobs from the F335 thread )

I'm just gonna start ripping through past papers now so I should have some generic ones by the end of today/tomorrow ;D
    Attached Files
  3. File Type: docx F334 ex techs and some chemical tests.docx (17.0 KB, 179 views)

ReputationRep:
    okay, I just compiled some chemical tests and some generic questions and answers to experimental technique questions (courtesy of billybobs from the F335 thread )

I'm just gonna start ripping through past papers now so I should have some generic ones by the end of today/tomorrow ;D
    Thanks for that! That'll be helpful; good luck in them past papers!

ReputationRep:
    Name:  curlty arrow.JPG
Views: 102
Size:  3.8 KB

Guys, does anyone know how exactly to do curly arrows - eg in nuclephilic addition, would you draw the arrow going straight to the carbon or to the space next to it to indicate a bond making? above is what the MS said, so it's kind of near the C but just next to it and not going into it... ? never knew how to do these properly haha

ReputationRep:
    Name:  curlty arrow.JPG
Views: 102
Size:  3.8 KB

Guys, does anyone know how exactly to do curly arrows - eg in nuclephilic addition, would you draw the arrow going straight to the carbon or to the space next to it to indicate a bond making? above is what the MS said, so it's kind of near the C but just next to it and not going into it... ? never knew how to do these properly haha
    The first arrow goes from the lone pair of electrons in the carbon atom of the CN- ion directly to the carbon. The next arrow goes from the double bond to the oxygen atom.

Page 9 of the A2 revision guide should show this clearly

ReputationRep:
    The first arrow goes from the lone pair of electrons in the carbon atom of the CN- ion directly to the carbon. The next arrow goes from the double bond to the oxygen atom.

Page 9 of the A2 revision guide should show this clearly
    awesome thanks - yeah I see

ReputationRep:
    Just checking is the steel making process in the new syllabus?

ReputationRep:
    I've looked on the Jan 2013 F334 forum and loads of people did badly in it. Why did so many people do badly on that exam??? I didn't do it in January but I've just done it as a mock and I got 77/90. Were those of you who didn't get the grade you want not ready for the exam or was it lack of preparation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jlane5000)
    Just checking is the steel making process in the new syllabus?
    Nope

(Original post by Aimee18)
    I've looked on the Jan 2013 F334 forum and loads of people did badly in it. Why did so many people do badly on that exam??? I didn't do it in January but I've just done it as a mock and I got 77/90. Were those of you who didn't get the grade you want not ready for the exam or was it lack of preparation?
    The grade boundaries went up by a ridiculous amount. Here was the pattern before Jan 2013 for an A grade, 65,64,63,68,63,63... Then all of a sudden it went up to 71. The general consensus after the exam was that it was by no means the easiest F334 paper; perhaps it merited around 67-68 maximum for an A. Thus, everyone's grades more or less went down one.

Plus, exam pressure plays a crucial role for many when doing Salters Chemistry tbh. The general wording and "synoptic" elements of that paper did throw back a lot of people. When we look back at a paper, it always seems easier. I still don't see why that paper warranted such a hike in the grade boundaries.

ReputationRep:
    Nope

The grade boundaries went up by a ridiculous amount. Here was the pattern before Jan 2013 for an A grade, 65,64,63,68,63,63... Then all of a sudden it went up to 71. The general consensus after the exam was that it was by no means the easiest F334 paper; perhaps it merited around 67-68 maximum for an A. Thus, everyone's grades more or less went down one.

Plus, exam pressure plays a crucial role for many when doing Salters Chemistry tbh. The general wording and "synoptic" elements of that paper did throw back a lot of people. When we look back at a paper, it always seems easier. I still don't see why that paper warranted such a hike in the grade boundaries.
    Thanks

And yeah my thoughts exactly with regards to F334 in Jan, I did more than enough prep and got a B when it should have been an A going by past grade boundaries. Doing a mock in the comforts of your own home and sitting in an exam hall with exam nerves/pressure are not really comparable situations :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

And yeah my thoughts exactly with regards to F334 in Jan, I did more than enough prep and got a B when it should have been an A going by past grade boundaries. Doing a mock in the comforts of your own home and sitting in an exam hall with exam nerves/pressure are not really comparable situations :rolleyes:
    Yup, so true! I got 65 raw marks, which would've been scraping an A 5 out of 6 times before 2013. It would've relieved so much pressure tbh for F335. The examiners' report mentioned that the overall majority seemed to be really well prepared, so perhaps many did do well tbh.

I've given up trying to handle nerves; they always seem to get the better of me, especially in the weird world of Salters Chemistry

ReputationRep:
    Yup, so true! I got 65 raw marks, which would've been scraping an A 5 out of 6 times before 2013. It would've relieved so much pressure tbh for F335. The examiners' report mentioned that the overall majority seemed to be really well prepared, so perhaps many did do well tbh.

I've given up trying to handle nerves; they always seem to get the better of me, especially in the weird world of Salters Chemistry
    I always feel the pressure, I end up doubting myself on even the most simple things that I know inside out when in the exam. I wish F335 had been a little kinder and less heavy on the calculations, but for me the pressure is now on with this one to pick up some of the slack for F335. Some of it was ridiculously easy and some was a bit harsh *cough iodine number* How did you find F335?

ReputationRep:
    I always feel the pressure, I end up doubting myself on even the most simple things that I know inside out when in the exam. I wish F335 had been a little kinder and less heavy on the calculations, but for me the pressure is now on with this one to pick up some of the slack for F335. Some of it was ridiculously easy and some was a bit harsh *cough iodine number* How did you find F335?
    I counted the calculation questions (most of which I knew I got wrong) and it was a max of 20 marks if you messed up all the calculations, which made me feel a bit better :P

Can anyone help me with Jun10 2a? I don't really understand what happens

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.