Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do so many women want to be treated better than men...? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Don't be stupid. As a parallel, we are coerced into buying food from Tesco because of the ubiquity of their stores, and as another, we are coerced into voting for either Conservative or Labour because of the electoral system. You or I could shop at the local greengrocer or vote for the local Green candidate, but it is just pointless because nobody else is going to do it, as they have come to the very same conclusion (elementary game theory).

To ignore women, and thereby break their power in the sexual marketplace would require an organised campaign which is literally impossible to co-ordinate, not least with such a disparate, individualistic and downright horny group as men.

All one can do is fight for one's own principles, make sure as many people, including those perpetrating it, are aware of the injustice, and be patient in the hope that society evolves (but this takes a damn long time).
    You do not have to be susceptible to Tesco's marketing. The UK retail industry is not a monopoly and there are at least 3 other major companies (J Sainsbury, Asda, Morrisons) from where you can purchase food (online, if necessary). Likewise, if you do not agree with Conservative or Labour policies you do not need to vote at all - in the UK it is not like Australia where it is compulsory to vote.

Likewise it is more than possible to ignore women. There are many workplaces/industries where there are virtually no women - petroleum engineering, software development, options trading, construction etc. There are many circumstances (sports, hobbies etc.) where women are effectively excluded (through self-exclusion) - so there sexual power is basically non-existent here - e.g. motorcycling in India (completely male-dominated), snooker in Holland (completely male-dominated), cricket at the Oval Nets in London (completely male-dominated).

So if you work in a male-dominated industry and have very male-dominated hobbies, you are hardly going to fall victim to this 'sexual power' that you claim women possess. If other men wish to put themselves in situations where they can become victims, then ultimately that is their choice and their problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    in most species, the men are doing the impressing.
    In most species courtship would account for sexual assault and rape..

"Going to have sex yet?"
    "No"
    "Ok I will hang around and follow you everywhere until you give in"

Then the male goes off, leaves the female to raise the young and tries to impregnate others.

And you say you want to follow what the majority of species do? Or just the bits which favor you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    In most species courtship would account for sexual assault and rape..

"Going to have sex yet?"
    "No"
    "Ok I will hang around and follow you everywhere until you give in"

Then the male goes off, leaves the female to raise the young and tries to impregnate others.

And you say you want to follow what the majority of species do? Or just the bits which favor you?
    the majority of us know that rape is morally wrong though, as it is harming others. doing things like sniffing **** and other crap that animals do is gross. there is nothing wrong with a man being a gentleman. it is not harming anyone. it is a win win for both parties. the man gets to feel important and the woman feels appreciated. he is just getting brownie points. if he doesn't do it then fine, it is no big deal, he just better watch out for a man that DOES make an effort to be a gentleman. it is a choice you make. if i wanted to do the same then i could, however it doesn't work for women as 9/10 the man feels emasculated.

ReputationRep:
    the majority of us know that rape is morally wrong though, as it is harming others. doing things like sniffing **** and other crap that animals do is gross. there is nothing wrong with a man being a gentleman. it is not harming anyone. it is a win win for both parties. the man gets to feel important and the woman feels appreciated. he is just getting brownie points. if he doesn't do it then fine, it is no big deal, he just better watch out for a man that DOES make an effort to be a gentleman. it is a choice you make. if i wanted to do the same then i could, however it doesn't work for women as 9/10 the man feels emasculated.
    But it's ok for a male to get you pregnant and once that is achieved move onto the next?

No, no.. What would be a win, win for both parties would be if both held doors open for each other. I hold a door open for men or women, both are capable of opening it but i'm not a ****, I don't gain some self importance from doing so. What kind of acts do you believe make a man feel emasculated?

If someone is nicer and puts themselves out there more then gender doesn't really come into it with regards to if they are going to impress someone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    But it's ok for a male to get you pregnant and once that is achieved move onto the next?

No, no.. What would be a win, win for both parties would be if both held doors open for each other. I hold a door open for men or women, both are capable of opening it but i'm not a ****, I don't gain some self importance from doing so. What kind of acts do you believe make a man feel emasculated?

If someone is nicer and puts themselves out there more then gender doesn't really come into it with regards to if they are going to impress someone?
    wtf is TSRs obsession with doors? i think MOST people i know hold doors open for everyone? i do not know one male who exclusively holds doors open for attractive women nor any woman who thinks they have some divine right to have doors opened for them. what do you want, some kind of pat on the back? congrats, you hold doors open for people, along with the rest of the british population. well done.

once you are in a committed relationship, depending on the man and woman, the whole man tring to court the woman becomes null... but until then, things like the woman paying for the entire date (or sometimes even just her half with some guys), woman giving her coat if man is cold, a woman pulling out a chair at a restaurant for the man, woman opening the car door for a man, the woman driving... things like that... during early dating, makes some men feel emasculated. they are such small guestures i really don't get why you have such a stick up your ass. if you don't want to do it then don't, no one is forcing you or EXPECTING you to do things you don't want to. however don't be such a whiny ***** if some men DO choose to behave like a "gentleman". it is their choice. i, and many other women, happen to find that choice attractive... i am SO sorry.

also ignoring the man impregnating and running comment. not sure where you got that from. clearly is morally wrong and not in human nature in general since men on average support their offspring and help raise them.

ReputationRep:
    well i think that human rights/opportunities in the work place/all that legal stuff should be equal...

but i also think men should put the pussy on the pedestal and behave like gentlemen... but also be a little rough round the edges. in regards to that it is not EXPECTATION, however. i do not EXPECT a man to pay for my dinner, but it gains him brownie points if he insists.

i also do not understand peoples problem with holding the door open for people. just hold the bloody door open and shut up!! it is called being POLITE. do it for everyone! don't get all pissy about it! it's not like it's hurting you.

anyway you need to realise there is a difference between not being discriminated against in every day life and legal matters... and courtship. in most species, the men are doing the impressing.
    do you put the penis on the pedestal? just curious

(Original post by newts2k)
    Im not sure you believe that, besides, front line war is NOT safe, that is the point! WHy is a man's life any more disposable than a woman's?
    In older times thats exactly how it worked, men were disposable, after all one man is all it takes to impregnate many women but men cannot give birth and wean children (no formula back then)

As for women fighting in the front lines- as a blanket policy im against it as women as Bellisimma said have different strengths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newts2k)
    but want to be treated like men at the same time with all the same opportunities etc. They basically want the best of both worlds, do they not realise its either one or the others?

Classsic example, I was speaking to a feminist the other day and I asked her one simply question,' Should women be fighting in the front line?' To which she said 'no' and I said 'why not, equal rights, equal treatment and all that.'

It seems women in the west think they can just 'nit pick' the best of everything like expecting men to do all the approaching/courting and paying for things etc., it doesnt really work like that. I may get panned for this by some of the women here but I couldn't give a ****
    So you take that woman to be the spokesperson for feminism? Most feminists are actually annoyed that women are NOT allowed to serve in the front lines and are trying to campaign for women to be able to do so.

My problem with it is that I actually think women SHOULDN'T serve in the frontline or even any combat at all that requires strength. Firstly, the military tests for women have already been reduced in its difficulty to allow more women in. Secondly, EVEN AFTER the reduction in the difficulty in the test for women, a much higher proportion of women fail military tests than men. In addition to that, if any woman managed to pass the military test to a better standard than a man, it's usually because she put a considerable amount more effort in than the man. Once both of them are in the military and training starts, the man will ALWAYS, without exceptions, be able to catch up to the woman without putting in nearly as much effort as she did, and he will continue to surpass her by almost double what she can do. That means that the military is using up precious resources training a person who can't achieve an end result that is as good as most of the other people.

If you're angry at feminism for anything, be angry at those feminists who like to pretend men and women are exactly the same. I think those people who say men and women have the same strengths are stupid as ****. Equal opportunity should only be taken as far as it can be taken, not further than that.

ReputationRep:
    x
    A quick question out of general interest, do you believe female footballers should be paid the same as the men?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    do you put the penis on the pedestal? just curious
    nope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)

I really don't understand men who complain about equality because of something that people CHOOSE to do and doesn't harm anyone else. Most men choose to open the door for women because they know that women find that attractive. Stop *****ing about it, it's not inequality.

Women do it too with makeup. Keep complaining that makeup is necessary for them to be noticed by men. That's NOT inequality. NO ONE is forcing you to wear makeup, you chose to do it yourself, and it attracts you more men. If you hate it then stop wearing it.

Conclusion: it's your choice whether you want to open doors or wear makeup. You can't force other people to find you attractive by not doing those things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    I really don't understand men who complain about equality because of something that people CHOOSE to do and doesn't harm anyone else. Most men choose to open the door for women because they know that women find that attractive. Stop *****ing about it, it's not inequality.

Women do it too with makeup. Keep complaining that makeup is necessary for them to be noticed by men. That's NOT inequality. NO ONE is forcing you to wear makeup, you chose to do it yourself, and it attracts you more men. If you hate it then stop wearing it.

Conclusion: it's your choice whether you want to open doors or wear makeup.
    Actually you are right there, this is why I shouldn't try debate stuff at 10am when i haven't been to bed yet :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    well i think that human rights/opportunities in the work place/all that legal stuff should be equal...

but i also think men should put the pussy on the pedestal and behave like gentlemen... but also be a little rough round the edges. in regards to that it is not EXPECTATION, however. i do not EXPECT a man to pay for my dinner, but it gains him brownie points if he insists.

i also do not understand peoples problem with holding the door open for people. just hold the bloody door open and shut up!! it is called being POLITE. do it for everyone! don't get all pissy about it! it's not like it's hurting you.

anyway you need to realise there is a difference between not being discriminated against in every day life and legal matters... and courtship. in most species, the men are doing the impressing.
    This is the reason you're single. My god I hope I don't end up with someone like this.

ReputationRep:
    nope
    This was a fred I made back in 2010 about gentlemanliness .. take a look when you have time.

doubt things have changed much in the past 3 years (at least I hope not.)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1307015

ReputationRep:
    Idiot and really stupid example.

They should fight in the front line if they are physically able. Selecting the military front line is no joke and even the less able men should not get that position.

E.g Female and male software developers and doctors should have equal opportunities for a job but that does not mean sports tournaments of male vs female are fair for wrestling etc.
    They should have equality in terms of education and jobs where sexuality does not matter.

Its stuff like Women shouldn't drive in Saudi Arabia etc is what feminists are against.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a10)
    This is the reason you're single. My god I hope I don't end up with someone like this.
    lol this is not the reason i am single, sorry but there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with appreciating a man acting decently. it is not something i go around voicing my opinion on so it is not something they "know" about me, not that it is something to hide as i really do not see the problem with thinking it's nice when a man is nice. it's not an issue i've ever had since most guys DO act very nicely. in fact the only guys who have not treated me nicely are old pervs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spontogical)
    This was a fred I made back in 2010 about gentlemanliness .. take a look when you have time.

doubt things have changed much in the past 3 years (at least I hope not.)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1307015
    thanks for the link to the fred i will read it later maybe

ReputationRep:
    Men and women should be equal in principle but there are some practical limitations to this. Front-line combat is one. If you have a 180 pound soldier who has been hit, with all the equipment (weapon, ammo etc.) then say they are a total weight of ~ 210 pounds, then you need soldiers around that get the casualty out. Now I do not know a lot of women that can carry 210 pounds plus their own equipment and so having combat troops that cannot meet those requirements sounds somewhat daft to me. If the women can meet those criteria then they should be able to join up, but having different criteria for the genders is daft (IMO), the conditions on the ground are going to be the same - the criteria should therefore be the same.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...efing/1861887/

This source seems to sum it up well enough. '"The department's goal in rescinding the rule is to ensure that the mission is met with the best qualified and most capable people, regardless of gender," Panetta said. (emphasis added)

"I'm not talking about reducing the qualifications for the job — if they can meet the qualifications for the job, then they should have the right to serve," he said.' (emphasis added)

Do not get me wrong. Men and women should be equal on rights but there are some places where it is putting principle before sense, and in the case of front-line combat, that could well cost lives.

ReputationRep:
    Men and women have different strengths so equality can come to some extents

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Feminists demanding equal opportunities :mob:

Feminists unfairly benefiting for being a women :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    You do not have to be susceptible to Tesco's marketing. The UK retail industry is not a monopoly and there are at least 3 other major companies (J Sainsbury, Asda, Morrisons) from where you can purchase food (online, if necessary). Likewise, if you do not agree with Conservative or Labour policies you do not need to vote at all - in the UK it is not like Australia where it is compulsory to vote.

Likewise it is more than possible to ignore women. There are many workplaces/industries where there are virtually no women - petroleum engineering, software development, options trading, construction etc. There are many circumstances (sports, hobbies etc.) where women are effectively excluded (through self-exclusion) - so there sexual power is basically non-existent here - e.g. motorcycling in India (completely male-dominated), snooker in Holland (completely male-dominated), cricket at the Oval Nets in London (completely male-dominated).

So if you work in a male-dominated industry and have very male-dominated hobbies, you are hardly going to fall victim to this 'sexual power' that you claim women possess. If other men wish to put themselves in situations where they can become victims, then ultimately that is their choice and their problem.
    Of course it is possible for, say, us, or anyone else who cares enough, to avoid the big supermarket chains and to avoid women. But it takes a special effort, because of the way the market is rigged. Therefore (enough) people in general will still shop at Tesco's, Sainsbury's, Morrisons and (enough) men in general will still kowtow to women. The powerful position of both the supermarket chains and the women is maintained, even if you or I do not subscribe to it.

What's worse is it still affects you or me, the opters-out, because it drives up prices at the small greengrocer, and it drives up the difficulty of meeting a woman (which we do still need to do, in the long term) who does not have unrealistic expectations.

Why is this so difficult for you to grasp? I suspect you're one of those no-such-thing-as-society people.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.