Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is your favourite historical event(s) to learn about? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Habsburg)
    The odd thing is, Mussolini and Fascist Italy isn't an unusual course on A-level history syllabi, especially in the context of wider courses on European dictatorships. I see no reason why at the very least the Spanish Civil War and Franco's régime isn't taught as part of this.

I hope you enjoy yourself when you do go to Spain.
    Thank you, I'm sure I will! I've already been to Madrid, Barcelona, Ibiza (which was, in terms of historical sights, somewhat boring), and the Canary Islands, but I'd absolutely love to go to southern Spain because I think the Moorish influence and history there would be fascinating.

I'm currently doing the IB and we cover the Spanish Civil War, though only very briefly unfortunately. I am, however, writing my 4,000 word extended essay on foreign intervention and its role in causing the Republican loss and, my my, it's so so so interesting!

ReputationRep:
    Medieval English and Spanish history, fascinating!

ReputationRep:
    British political history
    Weimar
    US political history
    European integration in the late 40s and early 50s and integration since

ReputationRep:
    Wars of the Roses and the Plantagenets

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well its not an event but the Republic of Venice. How could anyone not be intrigued by it. From its refugee origins, to its height of power in the Middle Ages, and then the long slow decline over three centuries, until a final nadir of ossified stagnation. Its was so very unique. I don't think there's been a state like it in the history of nations. And if that was not enough, the city itself has water for streets.
    Viva San Marco!

ReputationRep:
    The Victorians, specifically British politics.

ReputationRep:
    Cold War, especially the origins.
    English Civil War.

ReputationRep:
    China and the formation of Pakistan

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Battle of Britain.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to know more about the renaissance and Andalusia- I don't really know how to spell it
    We never really get taught this at school which makes it more interesting I guess.

ReputationRep:
    the tudors

ReputationRep:
    Nazi Germany

ReputationRep:
    Being Polish, I like all the three Northern Wars content.

It was a period of great post-Thirty Years War innovation in military strategy, architecture, defensive and offensive engineering, movement of peoples, unfortunate rise of Prussia as independent from the Polish crown, rise of Russian Tsardom at the expense of imperial Sweden.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have one (doesn't mean I hate learning about them, though).

ReputationRep:
    The siege of Stalingrad is an absolutely amazing time to learn about!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.