Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR B (Salters) F332 Tuesday 4th June 2013 Exam Discussion (Now Closed) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blondie24)
    i got 56 in the coursework but an E in the exam :mad: got 12/12 on both my practicals, obviously more of a practical chemist
    Are you re-sitting? If so then you have plenty of opportunity to smash the exams and pull your grade up. 56 is awesome, well done
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    (Original post by blondie24)
    when naming alkenes how are we supposed to know whether its a cyclic or non-cyclic alkene?
    A cycloalkene has a closed ring of carbon atoms.

E.g. This is cyclopentene:

Name:  cyclopentene.png
Views: 130
Size:  595 Bytes

And this is pentene:

Name:  pentene.png
Views: 121
Size:  551 Bytes

Make sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    A cycloalkene has a closed ring of carbon atoms.

E.g. This is cyclopentene:

Name:  cyclopentene.png
Views: 130
Size:  595 Bytes

And this is pentene:

Name:  pentene.png
Views: 121
Size:  551 Bytes

Make sense?
    I thought they meant if you have been given the molecular formula, e.g. C4H8 and they were asking how you would tell the difference, as both groups have a general formula of CnH2n

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheetahs56)
    I thought they meant if you have been given the molecular formula, e.g. C4H8 and they were asking how you would tell the difference, as both groups have a general formula of CnH2n

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you count up the carbons and hydrogens on the cyclopentene, you can clearly tell they both don't share the same general formula, since for cyclopentene its C5H8 [a general formula of CnH(2n - 2) for a cycloalkene containing one double bond], whereas a "normal" pentene with just one double bond at the end is C5H10 [or a general formula of CnH2n]

Also, sorry, I should've quoted the user who originally asked this question, oops!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nukethemaly)
    If you count up the carbons and hydrogens on the cyclopentene, you can clearly tell they both don't share the same general formula, since for cyclopentene its C5H8 [a general formula of CnH(2n - 2) for a cycloalkene containing one double bond], whereas a "normal" pentene with just one double bond at the end is C5H10 [or a general formula of CnH2n]

Also, sorry, I should've quoted the user who originally asked this question, oops!
    Wow that's awkward lol, just realised it is Cyclo-Alkanes and Alkenes that share the same formula, sorry. And thanks for clearing that up for me, doesn't matter that you quoted me cos now i've learnt something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nukethemaly)
    Yep! That's a brilliant idea actually.
    Ok so someone messaged me or something- it was a notification and I don't know how to view it again but I think they were asking about the recurring questions thing I said I was going to do. I have been really busy so I haven't really done much but here is what I have so far. It's really messy atm but if you guys have any ideas on how to make the info more readable in terms of highlighting or layout please do voice your suggestions. Thanks
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx F332 recurring questions.docx (27.9 KB, 628 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madrevision)
    Ok so someone messaged me or something- it was a notification and I don't know how to view it again but I think they were asking about the recurring questions thing I said I was going to do. I have been really busy so I haven't really done much but here is what I have so far. It's really messy atm but if you guys have any ideas on how to make the info more readable in terms of highlighting or layout please do voice your suggestions. Thanks
    This is really good, I made some notes from mark schemes a while back which I can add to this

How do modern catalysts work?
    -Adsorb the molecule (you will lose the mark if you write absorb)
    -Break it's bonds
    -Make new bonds
    -Release it

What is the main intermolecular bond that arises between polyethene chains and how does it occur?
    -Instantaneous dipole-induced dipole
    -At a certain moment in time the electrons may be closer to one side of the molecule creating an instantaneous dipole
    -This can induce a dipole in an unchanged molecule then repel it

How can compounds exist as a pair of E/Z isomers?
    -It has a double bond to prevent it from rotating
    -It has two different groups on each of the C=C (note: you will lose the mark if you say 'functional groups')

What is meant by 'heating under reflux'?
    -Boiling a liquid in a closed system
    -So that no product is lost

Why does formation of ozone not take place in the troposphere?
    -High frequency radiation is only present in the stratosphere
    -O radicals are formed by the photodissociation of O2

I'll edit this and add some more later
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    (Original post by super121)
    This is really good, I made some notes from mark schemes a while back which I can add to this

-Absorb* the molecule
    -Break it's bonds
    -Make new bonds
    -Release it

What is the main intermolecular bond that arises between polyethene chains and how does it occur?
    -At a certain moment in time the electrons may be closer to one side of the molecule creating an instantaneous dipole

-It has two different groups on each of the C=C (note: you will lose the mark if you say 'functional groups')

*Adsorb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    *Adsorb
    I purposely did that to see if anyone was paying attention... :P
    But seriously, thats a good example of why you should always check your work a million times to ensure that you don't lose marks on silly mistakes (which I have a habit of doing in all my exams)

ReputationRep:
    Oooh, this is good, thanks! I'll try and add more to it once i'm done with biology and onto unit 2! Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure about this question..
    explain how the presence of hydrogen bonds between chains produces a polymer that is not very flexible.
    any help please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KleoKyp)
    Im not sure about this question..
    explain how the presence of hydrogen bonds between chains produces a polymer that is not very flexible.
    any help please?
    Hydrogen bonding is the strongest type of intermolecular bond so it holds the polymer chains much closer together, therefore the chains cannot move as much so are less flexible.

ReputationRep:
    Hydrogen bonding is the strongest type of intermolecular bond so it holds the polymer chains much closer together, therefore the chains cannot move as much so are less flexible.
    Thank you, that makes sense!

ReputationRep:

-Adsorb the molecule (you will lose the mark if you write absorb)
    -Break it's bonds
    -Make new bonds
    -Release it

Is it okay if I add this to to the document ? and thanks for these btw

ReputationRep:
    Is it okay if I add this to to the document ? and thanks for these btw
    Of course, and you're welcome
    I've got more which I'll type up when I have time

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Here's the mark scheme for January 2013 for anyone that was asking for it
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    ...and here's the rest of it
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    ...and here's the rest of it
    cant you post your markscheme notes for f332

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolRunner)
    cant you post your markscheme notes for f332
    What mark scheme notes, sorry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please help me with http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications...ers-h035-h435/ JANUARY 2010 F332 question 2 part g. The mark schemes says concentration values were too low, what concentration ?? of ozone?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.