Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Ché.;42897046]Sure!
    I can sure give it a go..

In respect to UMS...
    F211: Cells, Exchange and Transport - 64UMS.
    F213: Practical Skills in Biology 1 - 34 UMS.

TOTAL: 98 UMS.

So... For a C grade to be awarded, you'll need the bare, bare minimum of:

F212: Molecules, Biodiversity, Food and Health: 82/150UMS.
    That is a modular grade of a D, with a modular C grade being 90UMS.

You're sorted if you get those marks or MORE!

Thanks a lot! This really helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Really didn't know how to answer this and the mark scheme didn't help so much, would be grateful if anyone could help!:

Amylase is an enzyme that hydrolyses amylose to maltose (a reducing sugar)

Student investigates action of amylase on amylose. She mixes them and places the mixture into a water bath.

Describe how she could measure the change in concentration of maltose (reducing sugar) as the reaction proceeds.
    (8 marks- one for spelling ect)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For an amino acid in the text book the groups are amino group and acid group but the mark scheme says amine group and carboxyl group so confused what am I meant to put ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benson13)
    For an amino acid in the text book the groups are amino group and acid group but the mark scheme says amine group and carboxyl group so confused what am I meant to put ?
    I don't know what book you are reading but it is definitely amine group (N, H and H) and carboxyl group (the other elements).
    Stick to the mark scheme because that's what the examiner's will be talking about and marked!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thestressedone)
    I don't know what book you are reading but it is definitely amine group (N, H and H) and carboxyl group (the other elements).
    Stick to the mark scheme because that's what the examiner's will be talking about and marked!
    okay thanks

ReputationRep:
    anyone got the 2013 jan paper and mark scheme? what did I say?

ReputationRep:
    any predictions for the paper?

ReputationRep:
    With regards to antibodies and their actions, my notes and different textbooks have different explanations of Neutralisation; some say that it's the antibodies binding to the toxins released by the pathogens to neutralise their effect, but other books say it's the binding of the antibodies to the antigens in order to prevent them binding to cells in the body and therefore neutralising them. Which is correct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AGKhan)
    Really didn't know how to answer this and the mark scheme didn't help so much, would be grateful if anyone could help!:

Amylase is an enzyme that hydrolyses amylose to maltose (a reducing sugar)

Student investigates action of amylase on amylose. She mixes them and places the mixture into a water bath.

Describe how she could measure the change in concentration of maltose (reducing sugar) as the reaction proceeds.
    (8 marks- one for spelling ect)
    One mark will be for identifying that you need to use Benedict's Reagent (A mixture of CuSO4 and NaOH) and to heat to 80*C.

Another may go for the knowledge that it changes from green -> Red/Brown

More marks will go for your ability to understand how if you set up the Reducing Sugar test, then add the enzyme and over periods of time, e.g. every 30 seconds, pipette a known volume and concentration of the solution into a colorimeter test tube and measure the transmission you can plot a graph of concentration against time.

Remember to include that all reagents, enzyme and substrate must be at known concentrations and volumes.

Also there may be a mark for saying that you should store the enzyme and substrate in the water bath beforehand, otherwise you will be increasing the temperature over time(unless this is what they are asking for!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloemily)
    With regards to antibodies and their actions, my notes and different textbooks have different explanations of Neutralisation; some say that it's the antibodies binding to the toxins released by the pathogens to neutralise their effect, but other books say it's the binding of the antibodies to the antigens in order to prevent them binding to cells in the body and therefore neutralising them. Which is correct?
    Neutralisation is the binding of an Antibody onto toxins produced by pathogens. Which prevents them from affecting human cells (Therefore they are 'Neutralised')

The second process you stated is simply "Preventing pathogens from binding to human cells", therefore preventing them infecting human/host cells.

ReputationRep:
    I just did January 2011's paper and one of the questions said 'Other than biochemical evidence, what can taxonomists use to group organisms?'
    So my answers were morphology (anatomy) and behaviour
    But in the mark scheme it grouped anatomy and behaviour into one marking point.
    Does anyone have any idea of their reasoning behind this, when other years they were separate marking points?

ReputationRep:
    please help me!! so i got 70 UMS in f211 and 34/40 for my practical things what do i need to get to get an A or a B? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morvenrkr)
    please help me!! so i got 70 UMS in f211 and 34/40 for my practical things what do i need to get to get an A or a B? :P
    I think you need at least 240 UMS out of a possible 300 to get an A grade for just A level (not A2) and 210 UMS to get a B grade

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How do microorganisma spoil food?! Someone please help xxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivy96)
    How do microorganisma spoil food?! Someone please help xxxxx
    They basically eat the food and produce toxins (poo). If enough bacteria are present, the toxin levels will be too dangerous to eat and the food will be spoilt

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have reasonable predictions for tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh thanks so much!!! On average what kind of raw mark would that be? How does it work the sums to raw mark conversion thing??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Smoking is apparently likely as is conservation methods

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morvenrkr)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Smoking is apparently likely as is conservation methods
    thanks, I'm good with smoking and about to go over conservation methods again, anything else?

ReputationRep:
    Bumping. I think CITES and CBD might come up, OCR didn't seem happy about the answers on this at all in the examiner report :O

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.