Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it wrong to spend money whilst there are homeless people out there? watch

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I don't think it's wrong to spend money whilst there are others who are more in need (to a certain extent). If you and/or your family work hard to earn a living, then why shouldn't you treat yourselfs to nice things with the money you earn. However if it gets to the point where one person or a family are earning so much that there is money left over or to the point where you have a lot of money to spend, then yes i think these people should donate and give money to those who are in need.

ReputationRep:
    Why have you opened another thread up?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2310250

There you go.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't post in your last thread because I thought it was a pointless thread. The fact you've made it again makes it seem all the more pointless.

No it's not wrong

/thread

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dantheman7)
    your mum can come and kiss me goodnight
    I laughed at this for faaaar too long than I care to admit.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Kibalchich)
    I have presented a logical view. You've ignored it completely.
    No i didn't. I just disagree. You still haven't said how you actually intend to get people off of the streets by giving them drugs - its hard to describe your view as logical until you do.

I'm open to having my mind changed - in fact, i no longer consider your view completely insane (just 99% so). Ireally cannot see your idea being in the best interests of the homeless though, let alone being able to justify giving money as being better than food or vouchers.

My view is based on listening to people on the streets and people who have made it off the streets and off drugs. Your view is based on ignoring those people and listening instead to organisations which have a vested interest in receiving your money.
    So hang on, drug addicts who want me to give them money...don't have a vested interest in my money? Whereas the council who has nothing to gain by running these ads does? :lolwut:

What is listening to a homeless person tell me how they want money for drugs going to solve anything? I'm genuinely curious. Please tell me.

Here's a question - what is it, do you think, that makes someone already on their arse on the streets, decide to stop using? Is it as simple as having no money?
    Having no money is going to be a pretty big obstacle yes. Not overcome-able, but a decent one.

What is your alternative? Keep them happily dosed up until they spontaneously stop? We might stop a few from falling further, but being a homeless addict shouldn't be an acceptable state of affairs, let alone one we have to pay loads of money to support.

(Original post by Kibalchich)
    Someone with alcohol dependence can't beg up money, goes into withdrawals and dies (yes this happens). Was it right not to give them money?
    Someone begs up some heroin and dies of an OD... someone comes into hospital with hepatitis... someone turns yellow with end-stage liver failure... you could go on for pages, come on.

Yes, bad stuff can happen when detoxing, but that's why we have free hospitals.

ReputationRep:
    I note you've completely avoided responding to any of my points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dantheman7)
    your mum can come and kiss me goodnight
    Well she is picking me from your's tonight, because I've been shagging your mum for the last 3 nights. So maybe you can get your kiss then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-Dog)
    Well she is picking me from your's tonight, because I've been shagging your mum for the last 3 nights. So maybe you can get your kiss then?
    Really i thought she was getting passed around at the local homeless shelter like you said in your original post

ReputationRep:
    I dig you bruv. In addition, I have always considered it bad form for clubbers/boozers to walk straight past the homeless. If you are partaking in the pleasures of the filth and you dont at least drop the odd coin, you are beneath contempt imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    How old are you?
    23, why?

ReputationRep:
    No, it isn't wrong that you have luxuries that homeless people don't have. If you didn't spend money, the economy would suffer and even more people would be without homes/living in poverty. To restore balance you could do some volunteer work to help those affected by homelessness - you can't change the country alone, but you will benefit people who need it most if you did something like that. It is horrible that people are in such awful situations, but blaming yourself and feeling guilt because you were fortunate to be born into a family who live comfortably isn't the way forward, it won't help you and it won't help those affected.

Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.