Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you rather be extremely intelligent or extremely good looking? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    its very rare to see stunning people so you would be but in the minority but being very intelligent is more common
    This is misleading. The word extreme refers to the top x% of the population, whether in looks or in intelligence.

If you define extremely good looks to be in the top 1% of the population in looks then you cannot define extremely high intelligence to be in the top 10% of the population in intelligence. It's double standards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treeroy)
    Just going on the basis of sex, it would be wiser to go for intelligence, as not only would it help you everywhere else, but you'd also be able to convince people to be with you.
    As in every time you want to get laid, you'll produce a 30,000 word thesis which is a critical argument on why you deserve the V, with sourced references and expertise knowledge. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Neither, I'd rather be extremely wealthy so that my looks won't matter and neither will my intelligence. ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendonbackflip)
    As in every time you want to get laid, you'll produce a 30,000 word thesis which is a critical argument on why you deserve the V, with sourced references and expertise knowledge. :yep:
    Precisely. (Or why you deserve the D.)

I was thinking more in terms of superpowers in this thread. Super-intelligence would surely make you able to persuade someone to having sex with you.

Either way, I'd much rather have intelligence than sex appeal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treeroy)
    Precisely. (Or why you deserve the D.)

I was thinking more in terms of superpowers in this thread. Super-intelligence would surely make you able to persuade someone to having sex with you.

Either way, I'd much rather have intelligence than sex appeal.
    I was aiming for "why you deserve the D" but I got confused I'm not good at bro chat

I'm thinking really intense psychological-mind tricks now.

ReputationRep:
    Intelligent. Extreme beauty makes a vivid first impression, but extreme intelligence can make an impression that lasts beyond your own life, where beauty cannot reach...

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence, I find it sexy much more appealing than good looks.

ReputationRep:
    Intelligent

Because I'm already goodlooking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellokkk)
    Intelligent

Because I'm already goodlooking
    Yes, your lack of intelligence clearly shows in your inability to read the question properly!

ReputationRep:
    Interesting question.

I think if I purely wanted happiness then I would say good looking with average intelligence. I think in a lot of ways ignorance really is bliss and leading a distinctly normal life away from the distractions of an over-analytical and overactive mind could be quite nice. And I have noticed that, on average, good looking people tend to have a slightly easier time.

I think if you were to rephrase "extremely intelligent" as almost God-like reasoning, recall and deductive skills (well beyond any human ever) then I would choose that. i.e. the kind of person who could choose whether or not to completely rewrite areas of academia or could captivate minds with ease and re-write history. That could be interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendonbackflip)
    I was aiming for "why you deserve the D" but I got confused I'm not good at bro chat

I'm thinking really intense psychological-mind tricks now.
    I think I read your post wrong, then. I thought you referring to the super-intelligent guy when as deserving of the V.

I mentioned "or deserve the D" because I personally would be wanting sex with a dude.

Mind tricks sounds good.

ReputationRep:
    Neither 1) it's good to be smart but when you just know everything and do well without trying it does tend to grate on people, 2) don't you ever think someone is really beautiful but then start to hate their face? Lol or is it just me??

ReputationRep:
    Good looking.

Intelligence can be developed.

Looks are much much much harder to develop and fall largely on genetics.

ReputationRep:
    intelligent for sure. good looks disappear with time but intelligence doesnt

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    And also extremely arrogant?
    Of course. One can hardly be humble when one possesses devilishly good looks as well as a sharp, keen intellect.

ReputationRep:
    Extremely intelligent, 'cos then when I'm a super rich particle theorist working for CERN I can buy endless plastic surgery to become extremely good looking!

Profit! :borat:

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather be stunning... that would mean less time shovelling make-up onto my face and more time to study and make up for my lack of intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    Of course, the 'politically correct' answer is to prefer high intelligence and average looks over average intelligence and very good looks.
    Why is intelligence seen as a 'noble' trait? Why are people with high conventional intelligence often held in higher regard than those with lower intelligence? People can't help how intelligent they are. I think you can nurture intelligence, but only to a small extent. People chastise others for worshiping beauty, deeming it shallow, but isn't it just as bad to worship intelligence? Surely the only way to measure a person's worth is to judge how good they are as a person.

ReputationRep:
    It's basically a Tyrion v Jamie Lannister question ha! Tyrion of course, he's awesome!

ReputationRep:
    Intelligent. Good looking girls go into decline after 25-30, but with money she would be able to maintain a good look.

I'd rather have a good job, extremely intelligent and good looks rather than thick, no money, council house and extremely good looks. You only attract your own type, so if you're thick, you're more likely to end up with someone similar.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 13, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.