Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    I'm not particularly materialistic or anything. Having lots of money doesn't really matter that much to me, because I don't really think I'd have anything to spend it on in particular. However, doing well in my career does matter to me. And so I would like as high a salary as possible, because it would be like a measure of how successful I am at my job. A bit like having a high score in Tetris or something.

I'd hope I could make it to at least £160,000, because that's not too uncommon for people in my career. So if I reached that, it would be indicative of a fairly decent performance level.
    (Original post by upthegunners)
    x
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)
    x
    (Original post by Namige)
    x
    Would you care to explain why you each felt the need to neg this post? Have I said something that isn't true, or immoral, or what? If what I have said bothers you in some way, please, get it off your chest. I'm genuinely interested

It seems to be quite common on these threads to get a pos rep if you tell people you're in a really low paying career, or university course which will can only lead to a low paying career, and therefore you're expecting to earn £30,000 max, and to get negged if you say anything to the contrary. It's not clear to me why this is, because people usually neg-and-run, as it were, without making any sort of reply (as they usually would on the debating forum, for example). But since you guys are doing it yourselves (and I doubt you would have done so if I had said my maximum salary expectations were about £30,000 or so) I suppose you'll know the answer to my question first hand.

ReputationRep:
    What id be happy with? A minimum of 7 figures... however fantasy and reality seem to have reached an impasse on this topic.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Depends on my circumstances really - Enough to allow for a good house, nice food, decent amount of disposable income and a very nice holiday every 1 or 2 yrs. Could be more if there is a marriage + children in my future.

ReputationRep:
    Same thread from 2 months ago.

Come on people, be original!

ReputationRep:
    I'd be happy with any salary for a job I find stimulating. Even if it is nothing and I starve to death .

ReputationRep:
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Primarily, I don't mind. Enough to survive and live comfortably.

However,If I could get to a nice salary I wouldn't mind 69k+....

ReputationRep:
    You just have to look at your profession really and think of a reasonable salary. An investment banker and an art teacher shouldn't expect to be paid the same salary after 20 years in their post.

You just have to judge a reasonable guesstimate for your profession and be happy with it really!!!

ReputationRep:
    As a qualified nurse I'll start on just over £21k and that's more than enough for a single person to live comfortably at the peak of my career I could earn upwards of 50k+ if I go quite far but I am honestly not that bothered about money as long as I enjoy what I am doing and live comfortably. £21k is enough to live off, have a car go on holiday occasionally etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    These conversations are all a bit silly - an awful lot of false modesty.
    £30k has been seen as a 'good' salary for a long time, no one takes into account the effect inflation has had on it though. While in the past you could raise a family on it you'd struggle to do so now - of course plenty of people do, but they won't be able to provide the same amount as 10 years or so ago.
    There's also a huge amount of variation between careers. It's all very well negging someone for saying £60k but if they're currently training to be a neurosurgeon than if anything that's them being modest.

Personally I want to work for BP, who in 2012 had a starting salary of £33k for graduates, though I'd be happy with a bit less from a different company.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Would you care to explain why you each felt the need to neg this post? Have I said something that isn't true, or immoral, or what? If what I have said bothers you in some way, please, get it off your chest. I'm genuinely interested

It seems to be quite common on these threads to get a pos rep if you tell people you're in a really low paying career, or university course which will can only lead to a low paying career, and therefore you're expecting to earn £30,000 max, and to get negged if you say anything to the contrary. It's not clear to me why this is, because people usually neg-and-run, as it were, without making any sort of reply (as they usually would on the debating forum, for example). But since you guys are doing it yourselves (and I doubt you would have done so if I had said my maximum salary expectations were about £30,000 or so) I suppose you'll know the answer to my question first hand.
    I dont care so much when people are upfront and say "i want lots of money and im going to do everything i can (thats legal) to get it". I suppose what bugged me about your post is you saying "im not materialistic" and then saying that youd "settle" for 160k :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I dont care so much when people are upfront and say "i want lots of money and im going to do everything i can (thats legal) to get it". I suppose what bugged me about your post is you saying "im not materialistic" and then saying that youd "settle" for 160k :rolleyes:
    I told you the reason for wanting to be on £160k didn't I though? A materialistic reason would be, if I planned to buy lots of materialistic things with all that money. But my reason is not particularly because I want to buy anything, but because if I didn't earn a particularly high salary, it would be indicative of me under-performing in my career. Surely that doesn't make me materialistic? It just means I want to do my job well.

ReputationRep:
    I told you the reason for wanting to be on £160k didn't I though? A materialistic reason would be, if I planned to buy lots of materialistic things with all that money. But my reason is not particularly because I want to buy anything, but because if I didn't earn a particularly high salary, it would be indicative of me under-performing in my career. Surely that doesn't make me materialistic? It just means I want to do my job well.
    why would you want 160k if not to spend it on a rich lifestyle? I don't understand. You'd have all that money in the bank but just live the same way as someone that earns 20k or less? what would be the point?
    do you mean that if you didn't earn that much, you would not be successful?

ReputationRep:
    One which would allow for the mortgage of quite a big house to be paid, family of four to be fed etc, all the bills to be paid and two AMAZING holidays a year (5-10,000 each).
    How much am I looking at here?

ReputationRep:
    why would you want 160k if not to spend it on a rich lifestyle? I don't understand. You'd have all that money in the bank but just live the same way as someone that earns 20k or less? what would be the point?
    I'd probably just live the lifestyle I'm used to. Some people enjoy a very rich lifestyle, wearing designer clothes, driving flashy cars, eating at Michelin starred restaurants etc. But I don't really get any enjoyment out of those things. It'd just feel like a fake lifestyle.
    Most of the things I get enjoyment out of happen not to cost very much e.g. playing football in the park, meeting up with friends, old video games, playing guitar etc. Even now, most of what I earn doesn't get spent, it just stays in the bank doing nothing really, because there's nothing I want to spend it on.

I agree, there isn't much point in having loads of money if you're not going to spend any of it. It becomes nothing more than a large number on a screen at a cashpoint. But I compared this to having a high score in Tetris - because to me, it's indicative of being good at what I do. And that's important to me, even if a rich lifestyle isn't. I'd feel like I was wasting my life if I was bad at my job, because I spend about 1/3 of my life there after all. It's what all my education and hard work has built up to.

(Although who knows, I might end up with a spouse and kids who want a rich lifestyle. If that's the case, having lots of money might come in useful.)

do you mean that if you didn't earn that much, you would not be successful?
    Well my job is such that, if at the peak of your career, you're only earning 50/60k, you're probably not very good at it, relative to everyone else.
    Whereas if I had chosen job which is usually very low paid, and then I managed to earn 30/40k then I'd consider myself very successful, because only people who are particularly good at it would earn that much.

I'd much rather be a teacher earning £50k a year than a CEO earning £60k a year, for example - because the former is probably an above-average teacher, whereas the latter is probably a below-average CEO.

ReputationRep:
    as long as I love my job, whatever the income i'm not fussed as long as its 30k + and my partner is working
    if I live alone, then I'd probably like 35-40k

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharp910sh)
    oil and gas subsea and pipeline engineer
    My dad is in the oil industry and has been for 25 years. You should be aiming wayyyyy higher than 60K. Try 180K+.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbrand493)
    My dad is in the oil industry and has been for 25 years. You should be aiming wayyyyy higher than 60K. Try 180K+.
    I want £60k within 5 years. I have no long term aim. I just want more and more and more in the long term, so £200k plus? I don't know I'll see.

ReputationRep:
    I would love to break the 100k mark one day

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.