The Student Room Group

Why do People Have a Problem with Gay People?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wardah2
I wouldn't hate someone because they're gay, but I'd openly tell them what I think and I have done so before.

Would you accept someone 'openly' telling you that they think that your religion is primitive, backwards and barbaric?
Reply 61
Original post by JoffreyBaratheon
Would you accept someone 'openly' telling you that they think that your religion is primitive, backwards and barbaric?

Obviously I'd be angry, as would a homosexual if I told them my views, but everyone's entitled to their own opinion and I wouldn't force people to follow my religion, as some people in society are trying to force people to accept homosexuality.
Original post by wardah2
Obviously I'd be angry, as would a homosexual if I told them my views, but everyone's entitled to their own opinion and I wouldn't force people to follow my religion, as some people in society are trying to force people to accept homosexuality.

In what situation have you told a gay person your 'views'? Do you get introduced to a gay person and say 'hi, I think you're an abomination'?
Reply 63
I don't have a problem with what anyone does in the privacy in their own homes.

Can't say I particularly like the "Check me out, I'm gay so get used to it" brigade.
The overwhelming attitude to that sort of individual is: Bully for you. But why do Ineed to be specifically told about your penchents in the bedroom? What possible benefit could you sharing that information with me have on either of us?

Folk have the right to do whatever they want - they absolutely DONT have the right to continually thrust their interests or whatever in one anothers face. If I went around telling everyone "I've got a goldfish, get used to it!" I'd get some right weird looks.
Original post by wardah2
I wouldn't hate someone because they're gay, but I'd openly tell them what I think and I have done so before.

Why? Why do you think it's important to tell them?
Reply 65
because if you say stuff like "I don't think gay people should adopt kids because we don't know the long term impact that it might have on them" people start screaming at you that you're a fascist, something which you don't want to be associated to. So, automatically, even though you weren't really against gay people you start to dislike them not because of them but because of the people defending them who in reality are just as scared as you are of being called conservative homophobics
Reply 66
Original post by MittenRef
Title says it all. I simply do not understand the reasoning behind the pure hatred that some people have for the LGBT community. The only bit I understand is that they think that the physical act of having sex with someone of the same sex is a bit ... disturbing? I can sort of get how off-putting that is for someone who is straight.

But, they don't have to engage in that activity, watch it, or talk about it - so then again... Why should they bother? Why do some people completely reject same sex relationships?

I am gay, so maybe I'm being a little biased. But I have the right morals when it comes to equality, across the spectrum, and I don't understand why people feel the need to concern themselves with fuelling hatred. Surely these people know the world would be a better place if everyone was accepting?

Why damage that? What do people think? Why do people think like this? Thanks.

I love and respect humanity. I dislike racism , sexism, ect.

However, i believe that those who are gay are not naturally susceptible to be so.

Human beings are biological opposites. They are designed to come into sexual unison with another sentient human being who is of the opposite biological gender. That is just a brute fact.

And i believe that such a reality needs to be respected.

Am i an evil 'phobic' person? Absolutely not. Hate is also a strong word. I prefer to be positive. I like the natural order and do not wish for human beings to choose to deviate from it.
Reply 67
Homophobes offend me. There's no need, it shouldn't matter whether you're attracted to men or women, it simply matters that you're a decent person and treat others with respect. That's just my opinion but there's no need for discrimination against those who have differ sexual preferences. It's rude, unnecessary and just plain ignorant. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
Original post by redmoonrabbit

Why do you feel the need to tell someone who does not believe the practice of homosexuality is a positive thing that they are wrong to hold such a belief?
Reply 69
Original post by Pie1213
Homophobes offend me. There's no need, it shouldn't matter whether you're attracted to men or women, it simply matters that you're a decent person and treat others with respect. That's just my opinion but there's no need for discrimination against those who have differ sexual preferences. It's rude, unnecessary and just plain ignorant. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dislike labelling and ad hominems.

Could you kindly define a 'homophobe'. ? Is simply someone who disagree's with the practice of homosexuality?

Or is it someone who actively abuses homosexuals?
Reply 70
Original post by JC.
I don't have a problem with what anyone does in the privacy in their own homes.

Can't say I particularly like the "Check me out, I'm gay so get used to it" brigade.
The overwhelming attitude to that sort of individual is: Bully for you. But why do Ineed to be specifically told about your penchents in the bedroom? What possible benefit could you sharing that information with me have on either of us?

Folk have the right to do whatever they want - they absolutely DONT have the right to continually thrust their interests or whatever in one anothers face. If I went around telling everyone "I've got a goldfish, get used to it!" I'd get some right weird looks.

But if asked , do you uphold my right to give my opinion on homosexuality to a homosexual , and citing my reasons for that opinion?

It is not intrinsic or biological as race, it's a life-style choice(before someone brings an analogy of it to racism).

When someone says 'i am a homosexual' it is not a brute reality. It's a choice - a life style choice.
Reply 71
Original post by wardah2
I don't accept it because of religious beliefs and the pure fact that I don't think its 'natural'.

Notice the "appeal to Nature" fallacy.
Original post by MENDACIUM
But if asked , do you uphold my right to give my opinion on homosexuality to a homosexual , and citing my reasons for that opinion?

It is not intrinsic or biological as race, it's a life-style choice(before someone brings an analogy of it to racism).

When someone says 'i am a homosexual' it is not a brute reality. It's a choice - a life style choice.

Did you choose to be heterosexual? If homosexuality is a 'choice', could you yourself choose to be gay tomorrow? Could you get it up with a man and enjoy having sex with him and a relationship?

The notion that homosexuality is a choice is a pseudo-scientific argument limited to the realms of religious extremism and gross ignorance.
Reply 73
Why do you feel the need to tell someone who does not believe the practice of homosexuality is a positive thing that they are wrong to hold such a belief?

Exactly this.
Reply 74

You have the right to talk about whatever you wish providing you do so in a considered and erudite manor.
Similarly, the other party have the right to ignore you or rebuke you if they don't like what they hear. :wink:
Reply 75
Original post by redmoonrabbit

I didn't say it was important to tell them, I simply said if asked I would be honest and I wouldn't hide my views. If it was important to tell them I'd instantly say it as soon as I saw a homosexual and go spreading out abuse, but I don't.

This is a counter-argument which would be used in response to someone stating their beliefs on homosexuality.

If someone makes a statement which you find stupid then you are quite right to 'feel the need' to respond to it.
Reply 77
Did you choose to be heterosexual? If homosexuality is a 'choice', could you yourself choose to be gay tomorrow? Could you get it up with a man and enjoy having sex with him and a relationship?

The notion that homosexuality is a choice is a pseudo-scientific argument limited to the realms of religious extremism and gross ignorance.

I disagree on a number of points you have made here. Firstly, you have assumed that the belief that homosexuality is a choice is only made and influenced by religious extremism and gross ignorance. That is not at all true. The leader of the Human Genome Project , has concluded that "Homosexuality is not hardwired". Test after test show that there is no proof that homosexuality is inbuilt in us or natural.

The truth of the matter is that we are born male or female. We have male or female genital organs and most of the time, an XX or XY chromosone, ect. We are biologically designed to mate with the opposite gender. In fact, every single organ in your body, if you are an atheist, is there through a process of evolution. You exist to procreate and pass your genes on. Every organ in your body exists to maximize this chance.

The very fact we either have male or female genital organs means you are intrinsically designed to mate with the opposite sex. Everyone is 'born' straight.

Human nature and our sentience and free will means we can divert. We have humans who regularly have sex with animals - is that too natural?

Or does it highlight the vast permutations and combinations of sexual practices humans can participate in?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 78
This is a counter-argument which would be used in response to someone stating their beliefs on homosexuality.

If someone makes a statement which you find stupid then you are quite right to 'feel the need' to respond to it.

If you believe a practice is a quite negative one, do you not have the right to give your opinion in a sensible manner ?

If my friend chose to become a homosexual, i would give him my opinion on homosexuality.
Reply 79
I respect gay people. For being brave enough to open to society as well as for being strong enough to accept themselves. But it shouldn't be like that. A person shouldn't be brave to be who he/she is. There shouldn't be any pressure about being gay. Why do people even care? I will say why - because majority of people lack tolerance, kindness and wisdom. Especially kindness - only people with darkness in their hearts will hate.

To add a little bit of positive to this not so positive problem:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSlxraqtfGc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending