Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    What is that? :curious:
    It's basically a radar and anti missile ship...so isn't stationary or a platform. It is enormous, compare it to the ships next to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea-based_X-band_Radar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by green.tea)
    A giant puffball on an oil rig by the looks of it.
    :lol:

Yeah, I didn't have a clue too, until:

What is this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McHumpy92)
    It's basically a radar and anti missile ship...so isn't stationary or a platform. It is enormous, compare it to the ships next to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea-based_X-band_Radar
    Cheers for the effort. I was so impatient last night that I made a chat thread about it - someone told me then. Cheers, dud.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not a superpower, a lot of things that happened to Britain has given the impression that Britain is no longer a superpower (suez crisis, decolonisation, closer relations to Europe etc.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hunter_scfc)
    You've answered a large part of the question yourself. The British Empire was a huge superpower. Now we are more vulnerable and can't be classed as a superpower.

Can i just add potential superpowers: you've missed out Russia. After the collapse of communism they went into massive poverty but due to their rich resources of natural gas and oil they have managed to turn themselves into a serious economic power.
    Russia? No.

ReputationRep:
    I would say that Britain isn't even a great power, let alone a superpower. If you're categorizing nation-states via Wallerstein's dependency theory then yes, Britain would be a core power, rather than periphery. Whilst Britain has some political power, this alone isn't enough to correct categorize Britain as a great power.

We're on the Security Council, but we have the least nuclear weapons on the security council, completely overshadowed by over 3,000 instantly deployable nuclear missiles of both Russia and the US.

We have legacy, such as our language, but that was from the time in which we also had land. We used to be an empire, and now we are are threatened with devolution from Wales and Scotland. If you take them out of the equation, we're no bigger than Poland - and with less resources.

Unlike the States, who can cling onto their hegemonic position through resources (such as fracking abilities and the shoals they have recently began to uncover), Britain is increasingly limited resource-wise. Soon enough we'll be trapped in the spiral of total resource dependency, and I think the OPEC Oil Crisis demonstrates the problems associated with that perfectly.

It is not Britain which has retained power, it is London. As a commercial and financial cage London is still seen as fit for its location, its history and its intellectual-labor. London is in between both American and Japanese markets time-zone wise, which gives it a competitive advantage for speculators. But that's it.

Forget about Britain being a great power, and most certainly forget 'super/hyperpower' status. Britain is washed up.

Edit: To the downvote - you must have some utopian view of Britain if you think that this isn't the way the UK is falling. Quit dreaming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesrobbo1)
    You provide a ****ty anecdote: "dem gurmans can control us cus dey make dem taxes and i cant paint enuff art cus of dat and de maufacturers relokate oversees cus of dem taxes i dun told u about"
    If you think I talk in such a manner, you prove that you need education.
    Also, I don't pay those taxes, because I "paint".

Goodbye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faberry)
    If you think I talk in such a manner, you prove that you need education.
    Also, I don't pay those taxes, because I "paint".

Goodbye.
    Laugh My ****ing Arse Off. Why do you care about manufacturing when you do the most useless, unnecessary thing? I am not against art - but we only need a few, very skilled artists.

ReputationRep:
    Super at being fat, yes.

ReputationRep:
    Hah, hardly. We are not the powerful empire we once were. We can hardly hold ourselves together. Our political parties are a joke, our economy is in tatters, our military might is waning, our press has never been worse, we have no primary or secondary industry, our financial services have us by the balls, and we can't even agree on whether we want to stay in the EU.

(Original post by Leondrip)
    Edit: To the downvote - you must have some utopian view of Britain if you think that this isn't the way the UK is falling. Quit dreaming.

If I could, I would upvote you. I'm out of them for today though.

ReputationRep:
    Superpower is a term that came into use in the cold war to differentiate the massive nuclear power of the USA and USSR from the old 'great powers' of the world wars. (France, UK, etc.)

ReputationRep:
    No, today's UK is definitely not a super power. It is indeed a great power but it lacks pre-requisites of a super power such as high demographic values and a military that can match that of the US or China.

ReputationRep:
    Would you not consider Germany a super power they more or less run the EU?

ReputationRep:
    obviously its not. britain is still a moderate power though with a very small army which can only serve as a auxillary force. many british people are bitter about this fact since many british people only feel proud to be british if britain is a great country which its not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CEKTOP)
    Russia? No.
    Russia yes... If they feltthe absolute need they could quite easily reassert themselves as one of the top superpowers, they certainly have the firepower the back up their claim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    Russia yes... If they feltthe absolute need they could quite easily reassert themselves as one of the top superpowers, they certainly have the firepower the back up their claim.
    I'm afraid their capabilities are pretty much limited to the huge stockpile of nuclear weaponry they currently possess. Russia has proven the inefficiency of its ground forces numerous times e.g. in Afghanistan, Chechnya and Georgia. If you take a closer look at the russian military you would surely notice that nuclear weapons are the cornerstone of its defensive strategy, virtually everything is armed with nuclear weapons due to the fact that most of their tech is outdated. You cannot really reassert anything by waving a huge nuclear gun around, the example of North Korea proves that. A conventional military, including overseas bases (which Russia lacks) is also extremely important. Plus Russia's hands are tied with the oil and gas it supplies Europe with as more attractive alternatives for europeans begin to emerge.

The special forces were grossly negligent during the hostage crises in Moscow and Beslan, the amount of civilian casualties points to that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CEKTOP)
    I'm afraid their capabilities are pretty much limited to the huge stockpile of nuclear weaponry they currently possess. Russia has proven the inefficiency of its ground forces numerous times e.g. in Afghanistan, Chechnya and Georgia. If you take a closer look at the russian military you would surely notice that nuclear weapons are the cornerstone of its defensive strategy, virtually everything is armed with nuclear weapons due to the fact that most of their tech is outdated. You cannot really reassert anything by waving a huge nuclear gun around, the example of North Korea proves that. A conventional military, including overseas bases (which Russia lacks) is also extremely important. Plus Russia's hands are tied with the oil and gas it supplies Europe with as more attractive alternatives for europeans begin to emerge.

The special forces were grossly negligent during the hostage crises in Moscow and Beslan, the amount of civilian casualties points to that.
    Debateable, its currently under going a massive rearmament is it not? Which was driven by its somewhatlack lustre performance in the countries mentioned [although relating back to Afghanistan no one has ever won there...]
    Well it has bases in Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Syria, Tajikistan, Transnitria and the Ukraine... which given its lack of desire for foreign intervention is still quite impressive, no?
    With regards to the last comment though the same can be said for America. Theyve armed everything from land mines to bombs to missilesto artillary with atomic warheads.
    Maybe but negligent doesnt mean incapable, the Spteznaz is still a highly capable force.

ReputationRep:
    Is the UK a superpower?

It seems the answer is no, no?

However, there is the legacy of it being a former superpower, wouldn't you say? For example, use of its legal system structure in various former colonies and the widespread use of English - to the extent that it is apparently the "international" language and most widely used/understood; although various languages like Mandarin Chinese is popular.

So, following the fall of the British Empire, is Britain nearing the shadows? Some of its former colonies or territories or areas where it had "influence" are succeeding very well, even more so than modern-day Britain itself - for example, of course, the United States, and then there's China and then there's India (whose economy grew massively last year, whilst ours grew by 0.000000x%) and Hong Kong etc etc

I particularly ask this question as I recently read the "Why is Britain leading the EU" thread in this forum and indeed, why isn't Britain leading Europe, when Germany is, which managed to advance successfully, even after a war where it suffered terribly towards the end and had to pay great reparations.

What are your thoughts on this subject?
    I'd have to say probably not. Currently, I believe the main superpowers are the USA, China, Russia and maybe Japan and the UK. The rest are falling behind completely.

ReputationRep:
    Is the UK a superpower?

It seems the answer is no, no?

However, there is the legacy of it being a former superpower, wouldn't you say? For example, use of its legal system structure in various former colonies and the widespread use of English - to the extent that it is apparently the "international" language and most widely used/understood; although various languages like Mandarin Chinese is popular.

So, following the fall of the British Empire, is Britain nearing the shadows? Some of its former colonies or territories or areas where it had "influence" are succeeding very well, even more so than modern-day Britain itself - for example, of course, the United States, and then there's China and then there's India (whose economy grew massively last year, whilst ours grew by 0.000000x%) and Hong Kong etc etc

I particularly ask this question as I recently read the "Why is Britain leading the EU" thread in this forum and indeed, why isn't Britain leading Europe, when Germany is, which managed to advance successfully, even after a war where it suffered terribly towards the end and had to pay great reparations.

What are your thoughts on this subject?
    Hong kong is part of china ....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xiyangliu)
    Hong kong is part of china ....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well of course I fully understand that, but if you read it in the context of that post, you'll see that I quite rightly referred to it as an entity unto itself (i.e. in relation to the legacy of the British).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.