Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rsplaya)
    There are no good guys and bad guy this is real life not a film.

Ok. Them and us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    Ok. Them and us.
    If you truly the view world like one giant computer game then logically you would want us to take over the world and claim victory.

ReputationRep:
    There are no good guys and bad guy this is real life not a film.
    "The difference between fact and fiction is that fiction has to make sense"

It's precisely because we're in the real world that something like Trident still has a place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    "The difference between fact and fiction is that fiction has to make sense"

It's precisely because we're in the real world that something like Trident still has a place.
    Facts also make sense that is what makes them facts. Real life has always made sense and will always make sense, you can't run a country like a nuclear war is always on the verge of happening. Imagine a world where all countries were ran by people like you 150+ countries all armed to the teeth with nuclear armed submarines it would be chaos. Look at the pro gun people in the US they say we need guns in case their government turns on the people and enforced tyranny, you are as bad as them.

ReputationRep:
    If we scrap Trident, France might invade us!!!

ReputationRep:
    If you truly the view world like one giant computer game then logically you would want us to take over the world and claim victory.

Nope. I'd just like us to have a degree of security to ensure that we can live peacefully.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. I'd just like us to have a degree of security to ensure that we can live peacefully.
    Poor old Belgium doesn't have trident I imagine they are constantly fearing nuclear attacks against them?

ReputationRep:
    Facts also make sense that is what makes them facts. Real life has always made sense and will always make sense, you can't run a country like a nuclear war is always on the verge of happening. Imagine a world where all countries were ran by people like you 150+ countries all armed to the teeth with nuclear armed submarines it would be chaos. Look at the pro gun people in the US they say we need guns in case their government turns on the people and enforced tyranny, you are as bad as them.
    Noone's saying we do or we should, but you never know when or where a crisis might grow from.

You don't go away on holiday planning to get sick, or have your phone stolen, but you buy travel insurance anyway. Largely, you want this money to have been wasted, but you feel better knowing you've got something there in case the worst should happen.

Trident is our insurance policy against the world going to hell and taking us with it. Do I ever want to have to use it? No. Do I want it there in the - very unlikely, I admit - occasion of it being needed? Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Noone's saying we do or we should, but you never know when or where a crisis might grow from.

You don't go away on holiday planning to get sick, or have your phone stolen, but you buy travel insurance anyway. Largely, you want this money to have been wasted, but you feel better knowing you've got something there in case the worst should happen.

Trident is our insurance policy against the world going to hell and taking us with it. Do I ever want to have to use it? No. Do I want it there in the - very unlikely, I admit - occasion of it being needed? Yes.

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

ReputationRep:
    BUT a nuclear strike could be launched at any moment without warming thus we should never go on holiday ever. Imagine this you go to Denmark then BAM North Korea nukes you and you die. This is a very real future reality that could happen.

Someone has been smoking some powerful ****. NK can't reach Denmark.

Not yet anyway.

ReputationRep:

Then why don't the public have guns just in case our government becomes tyrannical and we need to overthrow them?

Why don't we have an underwater back up country just in case ours gets destroyed?

Preparing for every possible scenario ever is ridiculous and unnecessary no country which currently has nuclear weapons is going to start firing nukes unless in self defence. So the answer is to prevent new countries from obtaining nukes and to not provoke those that already have them. Therefore nuclear weapons are not needed.

ReputationRep:
    Then why don't the public have guns just in case our government becomes tyrannical and we need to overthrow them?

Why don't we have an underwater back up country just in case ours gets destroyed?

Preparing for every possible scenario ever is ridiculous and unnecessary no country which currently has nuclear weapons is going to start firing nukes unless in self defence. So the answer is to prevent new countries from obtaining nukes and to not provoke those that already have them. Therefore nuclear weapons are not needed.
    firstly we live in a democracy with safe guards to stop a tyrannical government.

secondly a back up country would be very expensive.

thirdly, the reason why country's with nukes don't fire them is that they know they'll. receive the same in kind.

ReputationRep:
    firstly we live in a democracy with safe guards to stop a tyrannical government.

secondly a back up country would be very expensive.

thirdly, the reason why country's with nukes don't fire them is that they know they'll. receive the same in kind.
    That isn't true there have been many wars of which the Soviet Union, France, UK and the US have been involved in with non nuclear opponents and these weapons were not use.

ReputationRep:
    That isn't true there have been many wars of which the Soviet Union, France, UK and the US have been involved in with non nuclear opponents and these weapons were not use.
    99% of those wars were proxy wars. Wars fought between countries supported by the major powers rather than the major powers themselves for the exact reason that nuclear weapons wouldn't be an option.

ReputationRep:
    99% of those wars were proxy wars. Wars fought between countries supported by the major powers rather than the major powers themselves for the exact reason that nuclear weapons wouldn't be an option.
    Well I believe in running an efficient government which is why we should model ourselves on Germany. A non nuclear state which is getting on just fine without them.

ReputationRep:

You may want to read up on this history of the Cold War. There's many out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Given the sheer amount of nuclear proliferation going on it would be utter insanity to scrap our deterrent
    This. We are a world super power, so we need to make sure we have a trident too. Most of the countries without them are too small to attract the attention of crazy countries on the warpath; they would go for the main ones, like us and America.

ReputationRep:
    Well I believe in running an efficient government which is why we should model ourselves on Germany. A non nuclear state which is getting on just fine without them.
    ...because we demanded that of them and promised to act on their behalf if it was called upon. Same with Japan.

It was mentioned elsewhere recently, but it's a point worth repeating. The USSR believed a small scale tactical nuclear war to be 'winnable' and as such had smaller weapons ready and aimed. Of all the countries across Europe they were aimed at, ourselves and France - the other nuclear-armed powers - were not in the firing line.

ReputationRep:
    ...because we demanded that of them and promised to act on their behalf if it was called upon. Same with Japan.

It was mentioned elsewhere recently, but it's a point worth repeating. The USSR believed a small scale tactical nuclear war to be 'winnable' and as such had smaller weapons ready and aimed. Of all the countries across Europe they were aimed at, ourselves and France - the other nuclear-armed powers - were not in the firing line.
    WW2 is OVER the cold war is OVER. If Japan and Germany get life long protection for losing the war the **** i wish i could go back in time and sign our country up to the axis.

ReputationRep:
    WW2 is OVER the cold war is OVER. If Japan and Germany get life long protection for losing the war the **** i wish i could go back in time and sign our country up to the axis.

So you'd like to be involved in genocide so somebody else can pay fir your security.

you do know both of those nations were trying to develop nuclear weapons that they would've used.

incidentally. Germany operates nuclear weapons on behalf NATO.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_sharing

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.