Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Deep fried mars bars, what's up with that? watch

ReputationRep:
    Used to have a chippy round the corner from my secondary school that would batter our mars bars for us in the deep fat fryer. Might of been incredibly unhealthy but they were pretty damn tasty!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fonzee)
    Used to have a chippy round the corner from my secondary school that would batter our mars bars for us in the deep fat fryer. Might of been incredibly unhealthy but they were pretty damn tasty!
    You're not from Skelmersdale are you? Because the chippy I know that does it is pretty close to a high school (although it wasn't much of a school when I was there).

ReputationRep:
    Don't knock it till you've tried it

It's heavenly :drool:

ReputationRep:
    They taste like absolute ****e, was so dissapointed when I tried one after all the hype.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why people would want to pay £100 for a tin of fish eggs, I don't see why people would want to listen to *insert generic pop group*. Not everyone's the same, taste in food, music, sport, entertainment etc is subjective.

Having said that, deep fried mars bars aren't the greatest, too sweet. But deep fried snicker, now that's a dessert worthy of the calories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deedee123)
    theres a thing called pizza crunch that you get up here, its deep fried pizza. I need to try it sometime, everyone says its yummy.

yeah, they're calorific. No harm in having them once in a blue moon though.
    What does the deep stand for?

I only know like deep freeze or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    What does the deep stand for?

I only know like deep freeze or something?
    Means it's a big vat of oil that covers all of the food. Contrasts with shallow frying like when you fry onions in a little bit of oil (no idea why I picked onions here, but you get what I mean).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deedee123)
    theres a thing called pizza crunch that you get up here, its deep fried pizza. I need to try it sometime, everyone says its yummy.

yeah, they're calorific. No harm in having them once in a blue moon though.
    Yeah as said above, in chippies up here we get pizza crunch, which is pizza dipped in batter then fried and you get fried pizza which is just a pizza baked then cooked again in boiling fat.

It's actually quite nice if it's done porperly. In southern italy they deep fry calzones which isn't too disimilar to a deep fried pizza, although the quality is a lot better in italy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimarshmallow)
    Means it's a big vat of oil that covers all of the food. Contrasts with shallow frying like when you fry onions in a little bit of oil (no idea why I picked onions here, but you get what I mean).
    Sounds disgustingly unhealthy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foghorn Leghorn)
    Yeah as said above, in chippies up here we get pizza crunch, which is pizza dipped in batter then fried and you get fried pizza which is just a pizza baked then cooked again in boiling fat.

It's actually quite nice if it's done porperly. In southern italy they deep fry calzones which isn't too disimilar to a deep fried pizza, although the quality is a lot better in italy.
    I really want a pizza crunch now, that sounds lush. Vegetarian pizza loaded with veggies mind, need to pretend there's something healthy going on...

ReputationRep:
    That's how the chips in takeout places are cooked. And usually the burgers and if you get fried chicken and whatever.
    The oil is drained off, but it is less healthy than shallow frying and even less healthy than if you make oven chips.
    But absolutely heavenly!

A chip pan in the home is also deep frying.

ReputationRep:
    you've never had chips from mcdonalds or any other fast food takeaway? or anywhere other than oven baked fries? how strange.

ReputationRep:
    I used to work in a chippy/takeaway and we deep fried a brownie once. It was amazing :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Never had a doughnut, ever? You know, deep fried cake dough?

ReputationRep:
    lol

ReputationRep:
    Health conciousness is bull.

Many people still eat fast food.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think many people take health consciousness seriously. If they do, why do many people eat at McDs or Burger King. Why are obesity rates still high?

"Health consciousness" simply means that more people are aware of what is good for them relative to decades ago.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't get why people are taking the spew about a fried Mars. Eat Pain au Chocolat? That's an all-butter pastry, 50% butter by traditional recipe (yes, HALF butter), filled with chocolate. Doughnuts? Deep Fried Cake. Cheesecake? BISCUITS INFUSED WITH FAT, TOPPED WITH CHEESE.

As soon as you give something a less flattering, more obvious name, everyone's a hypocrite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    Eating a fry battered chocolate bar is hardly living on the edge...
    Haha #burned

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpdavis)
    I'm really tempted to taste on tbh. Maybe after exams? :dontknow:
    Yh this thread is making me wanna try one but I really dnt like the idea

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.