ReputationRep:
    (Original post by upthegunners)
    I don't have a teacher.. self teaching all Alevel Maths
    Me too! How old are you? Like doing other a levels as well? or

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Me too! How old are you? Like doing other a levels as well? or
    I am 17 and it's a long story

Basically around January I had a change of career plan and decided I needed Mathematics so I took it up. It was a risk but a risk I was prepared to take none the less. I finished the course within about 3 months and don't find it that hard at all. I think self teaching is the way forward in Maths! So many resources these days..

What about you?

ReputationRep:
    I am 17 and it's a long story

Basically around January I had a change of career plan and decided I needed Mathematics so I took it up. It was a risk but a risk I was prepared to take none the less. I finished the course within about 3 months and don't find it that hard at all. I think self teaching is the way forward in Maths! So many resources these days..

What about you?
    Aaah, cool! What's your new career choice now?

Yeah, I agree! It's so easy to do it now with everything!

I'm 16, finishing my GCSEs this year, I decided to do the A2 to free up some options next year! Pick more a levels :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    Aaah, cool! What's your new career choice now?

Yeah, I agree! It's so easy to do it now with everything!

I'm 16, finishing my GCSEs this year, I decided to do the A2 to free up some options next year! Pick more a levels :teeth:
    ahh you must be on of these wizz kids who are just amazing at everything they do

Chemical Engineering :cool: (or maybe electrical)

Ohh good luck with GCSEs! I find Alevels easier.. (work wise) I am doing less revision for them anyway..

ReputationRep:
    ahh you must be on of these wizz kids who are just amazing at everything they do

Chemical Engineering :cool: (or maybe electrical)

Ohh good luck with GCSEs! I find Alevels easier.. (work wise) I am doing less revision for them anyway..
    :nah:

I wanted to do chemical engineering! But then realised I'd prefer chemistry

Same!!! People think I'm unusual when I say A Levels are easier than GCSE to work for (on a whole)

ReputationRep:
    I think it all just comes down to whether you have a 'physical mind' or not, as in being able to picture the whole situation

ReputationRep:
    :nah:

I wanted to do chemical engineering! But then realised I'd prefer chemistry

Same!!! People think I'm unusual when I say A Levels are easier than GCSE to work for (on a whole)
    Awesome Chemistry is not really for me... I like it but not so much I would want to study straight Chemistry at Uni

No way, there was too many subjects I did not enjoy at GCSE such as English Lit, RE, LLW...hated them.

Now it's just 4 subjects I have a passion for (except Biology, it can go die :eviltongue:)

ReputationRep:
    Awesome Chemistry is not really for me... I like it but not so much I would want to study straight Chemistry at Uni

No way, there was too many subjects I did not enjoy at GCSE such as English Lit, RE, LLW...hated them.

Now it's just 4 subjects I have a passion for (except Biology, it can go die :eviltongue:)
    Aah, nah, I wanna do it straight or do Natural.Sciences

Same! English Lit, RE, Welsh, Welsh Bacc, Art is meh, Business, Stats! They all suck :mad: (and biology)

Biology is crap :ahee: what else do you do then?

3 sciences and maths?

Either way, M1 and all the other mechanics will be useful!

ReputationRep:
    Aah, nah, I wanna do it straight or do Natural.Sciences

Same! English Lit, RE, Welsh, Welsh Bacc, Art is meh, Business, Stats! They all suck :mad: (and biology)

Biology is crap :ahee: what else do you do then?

3 sciences and maths?

Either way, M1 and all the other mechanics will be useful!
    Nat.Sci looks awesome

I loved Technology and Design at GCSE Art sounds grim, very grim.

And yea, hopefully FM ASlevel too!

What you planning on taking apart from Mathematics?

ReputationRep:
    Found it pretty hard at first especially the new concepts. But once you get a hang of it [Took me around a week or so or rigorously reviewing the topics] it's pretty much a walk in the park. The hardest part after you get used to the new stuff is if they throw in any hard geometry.

ReputationRep:
    Nat.Sci looks awesome

I loved Technology and Design at GCSE Art sounds grim, very grim.

And yea, hopefully FM ASlevel too!

What you planning on taking apart from Mathematics?
    It does :love: maths, chem, physics and earth science!

I wish I chose that instead!! art I'm predicted a B... :/

Aah :awesome: more.mechanics modules?

F.maths (self teaching too)
    Physics
    Chemistry
    French
    Geography

I should have an AS in history as well before yr12 and considering another language

I think.we should take this to PM :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    For me, it's a subject that after good practice, it starts to get around to you. But, I am cursed with OCR, so of course, there are times when you will get some challenging questions. (Thankfully, M1 is one of my last exams , so lots of practice)

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a teacher.. self teaching all Alevel Maths
    Well done you I self taught myself my AS Further Maths (S2, D1,FP1) and it was ok because I had a good relationship with the maths dept.. So don't try to do it all on your own, but you're lucky that help from YouTube is available.

ReputationRep:
    People say that M1 is the hardest ASmodule ... I just don't see how some people find it so hard.. people in my school go on like it's a degree level paper on quantum mechanics
    My Maths teacher showed me the results of all the Further Mathematicians exams last year and people scored highest on Decision 1, then Mechanics and then lowest on Statistics, with the highest variation in Statistics.

I tend to agree with that order. I prefer Decision Mathematics but also enjoy Mechanics, but I seem to dislike Statistics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WillWalker23)
    My Maths teacher showed me the results of all the Further Mathematicians exams last year and people scored highest on Decision 1, then Mechanics and then lowest on Statistics, with the highest variation in Statistics.

I tend to agree with that order. I prefer Decision Mathematics but also enjoy Mechanics, but I seem to dislike Statistics.
    This is a year and a half old thread.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.